• CLOSED: James Brown's Place

American
Honey
Breakfast
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Homely diner offering traditional food. Introduced a vegan menu in Nov 2019. Reported closed January 2024.

Venue map for James Brown's Place
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by TracyWeb

BabyOat

Points +68

16 Oct 2022

Amazing vegan breakfast

I've never gotten anything I didn't love. Their French toast is amazing and their chickpea eggs are really good too.

Pros: Entire vegan menu , Great price and portion , Everything is great!

veganimalinthewild

Points +695

12 Aug 2022

Lots of vegan options listed, but extremely bland

It's great that they appear to offer a wide array of vegan breakfast (and lunch items), but everything I ordered today besides the sausage was extremely bland. While the sausage wasn't as flavorless as everything else, it wasn't particularly enjoyable either. It's so disappointing because everything looked absolutely amazing but lacked in every way. The eggs were also a very odd, starchy, and rubbery texture. I additionally ordered a short stack of vegan french toast which was barely spiced, barely cooked *at all*, and also did not come with any syrup or butter. It was essentially just super soft slices of white bread that were quickly, barely topped with a very small bit of butter and cinnamon. Unfortunately, I don't see any pros to ordering here again.

Pros: Many vegan options, Good portion sizes, Food *looks* appealing

Cons: All extremely bland, Eggs were a very odd, unpleasant texture, French toast hardly cooked (& no syrup or butter)

AshleyPeters

Points +109

02 Jul 2022

Iconic diner experience

If you like the classic hole in the wall diner vibes this is the place for you. I was pleased to see how many vegan options there were! Literally just as many as non-vegan and rarely do I think you see a menu so evenly split. My husband and I got coffee, eggs Benedict w/ spinach/mushroom while he got the eggs Benedict ranchero. We also got a side of home fries to split. The waitress was nice enough to bring out almond milk as requested for my coffee. Food came out quick & they even use separate griddles for the meat menu. The food was overall good . I personally felt mine was under seasoned but it wasn’t anything that a little salt & pepper couldn’t fix ( which was on the table). My husband felt his was seasoned absolutely fine so it could be personal preference or the other ingredients in his added more flavor . Either way it was good and we both enjoyed our entire plate. Also the food was all so well priced ! Where else would you get all that for $30?

Pros: Lots of options, Good food , Quick & cheap

Cons: Personally felt under seasoned but could be prefer

LisaH27

Points +39

20 Mar 2022

Vegan Eggs and sausage are not very good

Vegan Eggs are rubbery and not great flavor. Sausage is very dry and tough.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Should switch to tofu scramble for eggs.

bpollock53

Points +20

24 Dec 2021

Wonderful Breakfast and Lunch Menu

Amanda and family runs a friendly, welcoming restaurant!

PeterKarski

Points +28

13 Feb 2021

Rubber eggs

Was excited to find a whole vegan menu with lots of exciting looking diner fare. Unfortunately, their vegan eggs have the taste and texture of rubber. I hope they switch their egg recipe in the future, because their menu is very heavy on egg dishes.

Pros: Entire vegan menu, Unassuming friendly atmosphere

Cons: Vegan eggs were not good

ChristineLugo

Points +109

16 Feb 2020

Deeeeee lish!!

Nice little diner with many vegan options and friendly staff. A few of the items were not available 😥, but everything we had was great.

Pros: Great vegan brunch options

Cons: Small & busy, so may have to wait.

ksimmlnds

Points +88

26 Jan 2020

So yummy!!! Lots of Options

Love the atmosphere. Food was amazing and lots of vegan options.

scompter

Points +61

19 Jan 2020

New vegan menu

Love seeing a traditional diner offer vegan options. Ambiance isn't fancy, but food is good. I had the vegan eggs florentine.

mephemera

Points +20

18 Jan 2020

Reasonably priced vegan diner food

So glad to have a reasonably priced vegan brunch option in the area! Others are pricey for some reason. The menu is a lot of meat and cheese alternatives, which there’s nothing wrong with, I’d just love some more simple diner fare like tofu scramble, pancakes or tempeh bacon.

TracyWeb

Points +720

31 Dec 2019

Yum!

So happy to have more vegan options in the Beechwood neighborhood! James Brown has a daily offering of vegan brunch specials. So far everything I’ve had has been great. The vegan meat sauce was good but very spicy! (Well, spicy for me 🤣)

Pros: Delicious brunch specials , Quick service

Cons: Would love more options (pancakes, sandwiches etc