First Review by limist

Pleasant food and staff - Edit

Very friendly staff and very creative Vietnamese food, using, among others, seitan, soy yoghurt and green bananas, really interesting and delicious! All allergens are clearly marked in the menu using letters (vegan meals are the ones not marked with a, b, c and d) and the staff will also bring you the ingredients they will use for you too see what the ingredients are.

Downgraded from vegan, no surprise here! - Edit

I was confused when Huong Sen appeared as a vegan listing on Happy Cow – their menu still offered non-vegan items, and an attempt to get answers from the very friendly staff proved fruitless. (I don't think her German was very good, or if she was confused about what "vegan" means, but we got a "ja!" when asking if a certain dish came with egg, and another "ja" when asking her to confirm that everything is vegan.)

Anyway, the food here was nice, and we made sure our order contained no animal ingredients (we hope – it seemed to be understood). The prices were comparable to other Vietnamese restaurants in the area.

I don't think we'll go back here though, as I worry about their understanding of vegan food now. After all, they were serving eggs in a supposedly "vegan" restaurant – what other animal products do they consider to be vegan? There are other long-time fully-vegan Vietnamese restaurants in the area.

Yummy Asian Vegan Food - Edit

If you love Asian Food this restaurant is a very good choice. Prices are low. Service is high. The staff is nice and friendly, even late at night during the weekend :)

Pros: Yummy Food, Small Prices, Friendly staff

I was worried at first - Edit

So the vegan ice cream place, Kontor was across the street from this place so I went to order. I got worried because I saw that some dishes had milk in it and there were coconut milk, milk and soy milk options and my german is not so good. Anyway the server said no it's just soy milk. And she pulled it out of the fridge to show me.
Which is awesome because I went here because it was all vegan! And there was an english menu. There were appetizers, rice dishes, soups, and noodle dishes. Mains ranged from 6,90 to 7,90 euros. There was lots of seating, too. And outside seating.
I ordered the Pho Xao, I think. It has lots of veggies, mainly onion, green onion, bell pepper, and green beans. The noodles were wide and flat. At first the flavor was overwhelming but as I kept eating, I really like it. Next time I'll get the soup.
It seems like they used to have seafood and egg and cow milk on the menu because it's on the back page. It would be cool if they updated menu to say all vegan, but I understand that costs money. Still super stoked about all vegan vietnamese food though!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 11, 2016

Pros: All vegan vietnamese!, cheap, big portions!+dessert

Cons: some things said milk but didn't specify, what kind

Don't miss this one! - Edit

I stayed in an apartment in Prenzlauer Berg for a few days after a teaching engagement. I almost missed this restaurant- it did not have enough reviews to be in the top listings. It would have been a shame! This might be the best Vietnamese food I have ever had! It was quiet, with a gentle atmosphere. Service was very pleasant. I only regretted that I was leaving the next day and did not have time to go back. I felt perfectly comfortable dining here alone. Heartily recommended!

Pros: Delicious food, Diverse menu, Inexpensive

Top quality & quantity vegan Asian dishes - Edit

Thanks to East Germany's historical relationship with Vietnam, Berlin has many Vietnamese restaurants, and even a few 100% vegetarian/vegan Vietnamese spots.

But Huong Sen (since Fall 2015) is in the top rank compared to its peers, and also compared with any other pure veg* places: having dined there many times, the ingredients are always fresh; dishes are varied and have distinct flavors (i.e. it's not just the same dish with slight variations); the service is friendly and fast; and last but not least, the cooking is consistently excellent. Portion sizes are generous too, and you'll easily get filled up for about 10 EUR; it's high-end vegan fare without the pretenses and overhead.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 06, 2016

Pros: Excellent ingredients and cooking, Friendly service with a smile, Very consistent quality

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Huong Sen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.