Hummus Kitchen

212-988-0090

1613 2nd Ave (at Upper East Side Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10028

Serves meat, vegan options available. Dairy-free Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuisine restaurant with a few NYC outlets. Vegan choices include hummus, falafel, eggplant, cauliflower, and salads. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:30pm.

Categories: Ovo, Mediterranean, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by Ashley729

Amazing food amazing people! - Edit

If I could give this place more than 5 stars I would.

This small middle eastern cafe style restaurant sits hidden in an unassuming street of the city. I practically had to walk up to see it, but once inside, the cozy decor and friendly staff made me feel right at home.
I stopped by hummus kitchen half starved on the day of a snowstorm. The waitress, a friendly young vegan woman, rushed to bring me water and a cup of hot spiced cider to warm me up. The menu is an interactive affair presented on an iPad. It has a large variety of Turkish-style dishes. Vegan dishes are clearly labeled. For $17 one picks 3 dishes, such as hummus, babaganoush, falafel, etc and they come in generous portion with an amazing whole wheat pita bread that melts in your mouth. I mentioned I was half starved, so I ordered 6 dishes and could obviously not finish them (Leftovers for dinner were almost as good as lunch).
The waitress, who was incredibly sweet and attentive throughout—recommending dishes, asking if I was enjoying the food or needed anything else—recommended this raspberry and coconut cream dessert. However, I was pretty full and am not a big fan of fruit compote type things, so I declined and asked for the check.
As I was signing a young man, who I take to be the owner or manager, kindly asked me if I had three minutes to spare. When I replied that I did, he brought me out a dessert he said he wanted me to try. This was a generous portion of the most amazing chocolate mousse—all vegan—I have had in my life. It was topped with whipped cream and shredded coconut flakes. Pure ambrosia!
My only regret: discovering this place on my last day in New York City. Absolutely amazing! Just the service makes it worth it. Highly recommend.

Pros: Great food, Top-notch service, Customizable menu

Hummus Kitchen; a favored destination - Edit

Hummus Kitchen is one of my favorite brunch spots, as weekend treat. From the decor, hospitality and of course delicious middle eastern food. It has been a restaurant in have visited from the time it opened its doors. Only once have I been disappointed and truth be known it was me not being clear as to what I wanted. Vegans, to omnivores will be very satisfied with their offerings.

Pros: Vegans, vegetarians and omnivores will all be sati

Cons: The space is somewhat small and can feel cramped w

great hummus and falafel - Edit

Cute small restaurant, food was great except for the dolmas which were way too overcooked and this quite gross.

Cons: the service was a bit strange

Intimate atmosphere with delicious food - Edit

This place is super cute! The menu indicates which items are vegan so I didn’t even have to ask. Got the falafel wrap and a side of vegetable hummus. My friend enjoyed some Turkish coffee which I sampled and agreed it was delicious. We were able to take the extra hummus to go and they threw in another pita!

Pros: vegan labeled menu , food is great

Cons: lunch menu is cash only , serves meat

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hummus Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.