Hostel Shakti

Contact 22224475

Avenida 8 y Calle 13 (at Barrio La Soledad), San Jose, Costa Rica,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant operating since 1987. In addition to is menu it offers a daily lunch plate that is usually vegetarian. Has fresh baked goods. Uses some organic produce. Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-7:00pm, Sat 8:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Juice bar, Caribbean, Costa Rican, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by pablocollier

good value - Edit

I had the Plato del dia which included a salad, sopa negra (black bean soup), plato fuerte (arroz integral, guiso de ayote tierno, torta de yucca), fresco de mora. The food is simple and average but overall good value and service.

Better food and options than veggie restaurants! - Edit

I came across Shakti first by accident, and boy was I a happy-chappy. Then I had to take my dad and another friend back there months later when I returned to San Jose.
This place has such a wide variety of food I took ages pouring over the menu to decide every time I've been.
The restaurant is also endless! The place just gets bigger the further you walk into it. Really nice vibe and friendly, attentive staff. The last time I went we stayed late, at one point we looked up and they'd closed most of the doors and had put up chairs on tables and were cleaning the floor, and we realised it must be past closing time. They had been too polite to ask us to leave!
Although it's not super central, it's totally worth the extra few blocks you might have to walk. I would take people here to experience better veggie food than at many of the actual vegetarian restaurants in San Jose. If only they went with their principles the whole way, this would be a five star place.

Pros: delicious, excellent value, wide range of options, including vegan!

Cons: not fully vegetarian

Great veggie burrito - Edit

I went here twice and both times had the veggie burrito, which is vegan if you ask them to hold the cheese and the margarine (which oddly comes in a dollop on the top). It is really very tasty. The salads here are also great, as are the juices. This place is very popular with locals, which is good to see.

Excellent food, good prices - Edit

I was a regular customer when I lived in San Jose. It is so good! And the drinks are great as well (try anything with guanabana in it!). It is reasonably priced, the atmosphere is really nice, and the people are friendly.

Pros: Good food, Great atmosphere

I'm a regular! - Edit

This is a great restaurant. The house special is always vegetarian. Usually very good. Their green salad on their house special is great!!! I have had their veggie burger and salad...enormous and great. They also serve meat dishes. The vegetarian items are extensive and good.

Pros: very clean, sell supplements, great desserts

Cons: Not 100% veg.

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Hostel Shakti closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1789 times since Dec 2011.