CLOSED: Headquarters Cafe

619-287-6337

5841 El Cajon Blvd (at College Ave), San Diego, California, USA, 92115

Vegetarian cafe serves organic fair trade coffees and teas, artisan paninis and wraps, plus a selection of Mexican pastries with many vegan options. It's also a community space that's open to social juntas, groups, and community clubs. Has a large interior dining area and two outside patios. Hosts regularly scheduled events including poetry and spoken word nights, open mics, workshops for children, and comedy nights. SEPT 2013 PHONE NOT WORKING AND NO ACTIVITY ON ITS FB - REMOVED.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by Einstein

Worst place ever - Edit

It takes a LOT for me to write a bad review about a business, but this place is so terrible, I feel I should warn people.

At 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon, with nobody else ordering coffee or food, I sat and waited well over 30 minutes for a cold cheese sandwich. I finally asked for my money back, and was rudely told to go back to my table. No apology was offered. I was told it was made fresh, and it had only been 30 minutes. Somehow it was not their fault, and I was out of line for asking for my money back.

Even more annoying was that they made my 2 year old child's soy milk so steaming hot that we had to let it sit for over 10 minutes. And my plain espresso took over 15 minutes. Again, we were the only people ordering anything. There was no station to add sweetener, and nobody behind the counter to ask for any.

I asked a friend about her experience there, and she said she liked it. I pressed her, and she said she ordered a Vietnamese Coffee. While they didn't know how to make it, and she ordered something else, she said they were nice. She said the next time she went in and asked for a Vietnamese Coffee, they didn't know what that was. She pointed out that it was on the menu, and ordered something else.

Thankfully there are a lot of better choices for coffee. If anybody is looking for a space for a restaurant there should be one 5841 El Cajon Blvd very shortly.

Cons: bad service

Nothing vegan - Edit

They have a small selection of prepackaged desserts. I asked if they had anything vegan, and they said not yet, except maybe the spring rolls.

headquarterscafe 12 Oct 2012 - Hey just wanted to say we have vegan options for all our pannini's and most our breakfast items. You're right that we lack vegan pastries though, we did the first couple weeks but they kept going bad because we didn't move through them quick enough. But that's mainly because we are a brand new business and don't have enough people coming in and out yet. Veganism is def dear to our heart and when we can we will definitely carry many more vegan pastries. So stay tuned and try us again sometime! :)

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Headquarters Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.