Great Basin Community Food Co-op

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 775-324-6133

240 Court St, Reno, Nevada, USA, 89501

A cooperative market that's open to the public. Offers some prepared foods. Stocks fresh local produce, vegan and vegetarian items, natural grocery, and more. Previously on Plumas Street. Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:00pm

First Review by KillTorres

Great Basin: a vegan oasis - Edit

This co-op is a "must-visit" shop for vegans in Reno. The downstairs is where the food and beverages are; upstairs you can find vitamins, natural toiletries, etc.

I have never seen fresh goji berries before -- this co-op had them boxed in their (small but adequate) produce section. So cool!! They also have a large refrigerated section with plenty of vegan prepared foods products like non-dairy milks and yogurts, Field Roast veg meats, Just Mayo, etc. Near the cash register they have coffee, breakfast sandwiches, alcohol, and (non-vegan) pastries. They have a huge variety of foods and products, but because it's a small business not many of each kind.

The best part about this co-op, however, is the community feel. The people who work here 1) obviously enjoy it 2) have pride for where they work and 3) clearly know their customers -- many were chatting and calling each other by name. Why wouldn't you want to support a business like this?

Our amazing Co-op! - Edit

Since moving to its new downtown location on Court st. the co-op has become a true one stop shop! They have a huge selection of grocery items, and all organic and natural (i.e. organic but not yet certified) produce from over 70 local farmers and other producers from within our food shed. The store now has a large selection of beer and wine, and even a few local items and gluten free options! There is also a fully stocked wellness department that includes supplements, vitamins, personal care (even bulk Dr. Bronner's!), household and cleaning items, and general merchandise. You can also find baby and pet food here. The store is so large now that there are two floors and plenty of room to bring in shopping carts (you can even bring them up the elevator). There are also prepared foods available made fresh daily. Breakfast and lunch burritos (vegetarian and vegan varieties), soup of the day, pastries, sandwiches, spring rolls, salads, hummus, guacamole, tea, coffee, and more. There's also a community dinning room where you can enjoy your food or sit out on the balcony while you eat. There are also classes and movie screenings held in that space. By the end of the year, there are plans to have a cafe/deli/juice bar in that space and I can't wait to see it unfold!

The decor is really neat because they utilized a lot of old bike parts to make the railings for the stair wells, and they have a cob tree right in the middle of the main floor - home of the chocolate bars! The whole place just has a great feel. The store is open to the public, so membership is optional but encouraged. It is a member owned store after all! It's only $20 a year and comes with some great little side benefits. Namely supporting local farmers! Woo! But the discounts don't hurt either. ;) Congratulations GBCFC for a successful move and a beautiful store!

Pros: Local, fresh, organic, Member-owned; builds &supports community, Everything store

Cons: Could use another register

Finally - Edit

It's stupid, I realize, but I never went to the Co-op at their old location off Wells. For some reason, I just never thought it was shop-able. Whatever that means, right?
But they just moved close to my house and I find myself there all the time picking up the local carrots and green onion that I need to make the perfect soup for dinner or meusli fixin's for breakfast. Or I'm down to my last roll so I swing by to scoop one up.
Downtown has needed a grocery store for far to long!
Yeah, there's a lot of spendy veggie boutique packaged treats you can blow a paycheck on but I think they have the basics well covered.
It's just a tiny little bugger so 3 or 4 shoppers is a serious crowd and backup at the checkout line.
I do wish they had fresh bread (Frozen breads are available) and I wish they had beer or booze or wine but I bet there are some valid reasons for that so I don't hold it against them.
Just a heads up, they do have a surcharge for using an ATM or debit but you know better and should be using cash at local businesses anyway so shame on you for not planning ahead! Don't make our community pay for your conveniences Mister! (yes, I'm kidding. Well, sort of)

Pros: Fresh Local Organic, Friendly Staff

Cons: No booze

Return to Reno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Great Basin Community Food Co-op closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1803 times since Aug 2007.