Global Thai

2a Commerce St (at The Strand), Whakatane, New Zealand, 8014

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modern Thai food restaurant. Uses tofu, and many dishes can be made vegan. There's also a separate European menu. Lots of seating and helpful staff. Free tuk tuk pickup for guests. Has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-2:00pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Thai, European, Non-veg

First Review by Yolanda

This restaurant does not belong on HappyCow! - Edit

I lunched today at Global Thai as I was in Whakatane for work and this was the only restaurant there with a HappyCow mention.

The lunch menu looked in first instance completely vegetarian friendly as all vegetable dishes were to be completed by a choice from several kinds of meat or tofu. When I enquired after vegan dishes I was informed that most of the sauces used could contain dairy, as dairy content was not mentioned on the packages of the sauces, according to the waitress. When I asked about the sauce "by the chef" she stated he made this sauce by mixing several of the unspecified sauces together. She also mentioned that most of the dishes contained oyster sauce, even where it wasn't stated as such on the menu. According to her the only way to have a vegan menu was to eave the egg out of Thai fried rice with eggs, vegetables and soy sauce. That was the option I chose: a rather bland fried rice with some peas, some cauliflower and a few strips of carrot and a salty soy sauce.

To top up my disappointment: they offered cappuccino, but had no soy or other plant milks for it...

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-29

Pros: Nice location, Plenty of choice for meat eaters, Friendly staff

Cons: No listed vegan or vegetarian options, No plant milk for coffee, Hidden animal products (oyster sauce and dairy)

Happy with Global Thai - Edit

I wasn't sure what I would find foodwise when I went to Whakatane to work but hoped a Thai place could feed a vegan. Indeed it could. The staff were incredibly helpful and double checked everything. Almost every option on the menu could be made vegan and they were fine about taking out the fish sauce too. I've never has so much tofu in my dinner before so they were very generous with it which I liked. Good food and excellent staff means I will be back next time I am in Whakatane.

Pros: lots of tofu, great staff, many options for vegans

Return to Whakatane Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Global Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.