First Review by Geet Shroff

Marinara pizza near railway station - Edit

There are many restaurants in Venice that sell marinara pizza, but I went to Gino´s because it was mentioned here in Happy Cow. The pizza was okay, it had enough of garlic and oil on it. Good marinaras don´t need olives or other extras, if the dough and tomato sauce are great. Gino´s is located by a busy shopping street near the railway station, so it´s practical to go there when you arrive in Venice hungry.

People have recommended La Zucca restaurant a lot, but when I tried to go there in June, they had siesta during the day and told that they are fully booked for the next couple of days.

And anyway, when you visit Italy you need to test different marinara pizzas (though Napoli area has the best ones...).

Pros: Near railway station, Easy to find, Easy to order marinara because it´s vegan

Plenty of vegan options, but none are labelled - Edit

Gino's was the first place I ate during my short trip to Venice as it was close to my hotel; it was OK. It had two vegan pizzas on the menu, plus pasta and salad options.

I went for the Siciliana because it had no cheese but also had olives and capers. It smelt lovely, and the flavours were nice but it was extremely garlicky and a bit too crispy. It was the only pizza I ate during my visit so nothing to compare it with, but I've had much better in the UK so I'm assuming it's not the best Venice has to offer, however it's a pleasant place to visit for a quick bite to eat.

Pros: Location, Vegan pizza

Cons: Nothing marked as vegan, Not great quality

At least they cook tasty pizza marinara . - Edit

This place can be good for those travelling with meat/fish-eaters.
Their vegan options are: pasta with tomato sauce, the salad "Exotica", grilled vegetables, bruschetta (yummy grilled bread with tomatoes&olive oil). The staff is friendly.
3 cows because all this items cab be easily found in many others Italian resturants. It would be better if they had pizza with vegetables without cheese (not just upon request) as well as more types of veg. pasta.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 06, 2013

Pros: cozy, price, location (near the train station)

Cons: no veg. desserts, typical Italin vegan options

Ok - Edit

I knew ahead of time that being vegan in Venice would be a challenge, so my expectations were low. A simple pizza marinara & french fries kept me going. Decent. The place was very nice, inside & out, and it was around the corner from my hotel, so...

Pros: 1 vegan pizza, Friendly staff

Cons: Only 1 vegan item

Enjoyed the meal! - Edit

Gino's is colorful, much like the Venice Carnival. They have a collection of old ad's as their decor and worked very well for us!
The pizza was baked fresh, the staff was friendly and when asked for vegetarian food, they showed me a separate section on the menu with Lasagna etc and also a section of pizza's. I picked Pizza Marinara, Vegan pizza and I am certain that the staff could bake another pizza from the veg menu without cheese if told to. The pizza I ordered was super delicious, the best I ate in my week at Italy. The place was reasonable and the ambiance cozy.

Pros: Veg selection, Good food, Nice ambiance

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Gino's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3218 times since Mar 2011.