Fook Luk Sau

Contact 25439843

G/F, 8 Tit Hong Lane, Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China, 852

福祿壽 offers Hong Kong style veg breakfast and lunch. 2015 be warned that reports states fish is cooked in the kitchen for staff break consumption at the dining tables. Open Mon-Sat 7:30am-3:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Blue Cloud

fook lak sau - Edit

went there for lunch on a saturday and saw a long line of people outside waiting for their takeaway orders.

i was there to dine in. being greedy as always, i chose three out of twelve options (which cost hkd39; two options would have cost hkd33). you help yourself to unlimited rice, vermicelli/noodles, soup and dessert (today's was barley and beancurd skin) from big tubs behind the restaurant.

can't say my meal was memorable, but it did fill me up so much so that i wasn't hungry even at dinnertime. the veggies had enough flavour and crunch, but the pumpkin balls which looked really good could have been crispier and warmer. the soup was bland compared to liza veggies or kam heung, and the food turned cold quickly no thanks to the fans and cool temperature outside. dessert was sweet, warm and delicious. the mock duck (fried crispy beancurd sheets) that two of my fellow diners had looked sinfully appetising and will be something i'll try next time if it's on the menu.

you definitely have to share tables and it can get haphazard and cramped at the back as you stand waiting to dish your rice/soup. despite the crowd, i never felt like i was ever being hurried to finish my meal - but let's just say it's not a place where you'd want to be reading a book. if you can take this in your stride as part of the local experience (together with the cracked crockery and less-than-spanking-clean environment), it's one of the cheapest veggie options in central, or even hk island.

if you read chinese, you can find its daily menu (vegan items are not marked) here:

the instore menu is also in chinese, so it might be best to come with a chinese-speaker. how it works is that you sit down and tell the staff which item numbers you want, then dish your own rice/noodles/soup from the back, and your dish will be delivered to your table later.

i found out later that takeaway costs hkd24 for 2 options with no soup and hkd27 for 3 options plus soup. that's jaw-droppingly cheap by hk standards, which explains the long queue both before and after my visit there.

Pros: cheap by hk standards, esp for takeaway, filling, wide range of options

Cons: cramped, cracked crockery, not very clean floor

Fook Luk Sau, Hong Kong - Edit

I was in here recently as one of the last customers on a Saturday afternoon. The staff started clearing away etc. Just as I was leaving to see a member of staff came out of the kitchen with a plateful of food to eat on a seat outside. I was surprised to see that his meal of choice was a fish. I don't mean some sort of mock meat or a piece of taro in batter shaped like a fish that us very popular here. It was unmistakeably a fish complete with head, gills, fins etc.

I question whether that means that is a genuinely 100% vegetarian restaurant. The customer menu may be all vegetarian. The kitchen certainly doesn't appear to be all vegetarian.

Updated from previous review on Saturday August 30, 2014

I have to go along with everything everyone else has said to far about this place. Quick, tasty and bargain priced.

The staff didn't seem to speak any English when I was trying to ask for no eggs. Another customer intervened and all was taken care of. 31 buck HK for that meal today in central HK is a great deal for anyone on a budget or otherwise.

Pros: Inexpensive, Quick service

Cons: Staff cook fish in the kitchen

Great value - Edit

We almost didn't eat here on a recent vacation because we weren't sure we had the right place. It's located in an alley with some other establishments and there is no English anywhere. Luckily we had the advice of the previous reviewer and noticed that there were plates of food displayed outside with numbers attached. You could order 2 or 3 dishes. So we joined the large queue and pointed to a few dishes when it was our turn and paid the $25 HKD each. She gave us our order number and we watched the dishes being bagged so we'd know when our number was called. The food was pretty good; lots of tofu, veggies and rice plus a decent soup. A great value for so little money! I would definitely recommend this place. Once we figured out how to order we felt a bit like locals!

Pros: huge portions, great value, vegan options

Cons: no English, crowded

Dependable, tasty, and inexpensive - Edit

I've been coming here since the 90's and am so glad that it is still in business. Ate here a couple of times last week, and everything is the same.

You order 2 items from their list of 12 or so (changes daily), and you help yourself to unlimited steamed rice, noodles, soup, and dessert soup. All this for HK$31. (Take out is $25 with rice and choice of 3 items plus soup only.)

The food is always good but nothing remarkable: dependable Chinese vegetarian cafeteria food. It gets packed at lunch time, so you'll be sharing tables with cramped quarters.

Fast yummy food - Edit

Great place to get lovely veg food on the go! Although the seating was very compressed, a great variety of food at cheap prices is very attractive. Can try different things each day.
Not a place to stay and talk though - very busy.

Pros: Great choice of food, Really good value, Big portions

Cons: Limited seating

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fook Luk Sau closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.