Food For Thought

• Veg-friendly
Contact 757-645-4665

1647 Richmond Rd, Williamsburg, Virginia, USA, 23185

Serves meat, vegan options available. On the menu are several vegetarian meal choices like tofu, portobella mushroom sandwich, beet salad, salad with grain and greens. Breakfast on weekends. Will accommodate vegan requestes.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by jessicaprescott

Great veg food in a mostly non-veg town. - Edit

Williamsburg, VA is a wonderful place to visit. It's full of history and culture, as well as tons of tourist attractions. However, for the East Coast, it's one of the LEAST veg-friendly areas possible. This problem is readily cured at FOOD FOR THOUGHT. I've been to this restaurant twice, and do not understand why it isn't rated higher on Happy Cow. It's about the BEST place in Williamsburg, with fantastic food, house-made vegan/vegetarian options that are truly delicious and unique, and wonderful service/ambiance. Highly recommend.

Pros: excellent food, unique veg choices, great service

Cons: parking, wait

Great vegan options - Edit

My sister and I ate at Food For Thought for the first time tonight. I'm vegan and my sister is vegetarian. There were plenty of options for each for us.

Our waiter was very knowledgeable on what my options were and what could be modified easily for me. I started with the Roasted Veggie Bisque and it was exquisite. I had the Portabella Stack without cheese. They even had one very tasty vegan dessert.

My sister was very happy with her homemade veggie burger.

The service was extremely efficient and attentive. We were lucky to get there before the wait.

We shall return!

Pros: Tasty vegan options, Great service, Reasonable prices

Cons: Can get crowded

Best Restaurant in Wburg - Edit

Quite a few vegan options and you can even tell them you're vegan when you order and they key it in on the iPad - they even accommodated me on the bread they brought out and brought me a vegan flatbread to replace it. Sometimes I get a few veggie sides as my meal. Great, great restaurant.

Excellent Food and Atmosphere - Edit

Atmosphere was charming, surrounded by quotes of deep thinkers and its feel was much more private than the size of the room. We had the vegan flatbread appetizer with the thick tomato soup and the spaghetti squash and the portobello mushrooms with jasmine rice that others had suggested. It was all very good. Parking was somewhat difficult and we had a 20 minute wait to be seated on a Thursday night. It it weren't for that, it would be 5 stars.

Pros: Good service, Delicious food

Cons: Parking, wait

Favorite Restaurant - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant in Williamsburg. We always celebrate my birthday here because of the many options for vegetarians. They have many dinner options, but also several for breakfast. My husband, who has been vegetarian since his heart surgery, loves their vegetarian breakfast gravy. They also do call ahead seating, but any wait is worth it!

Great comfort food - Edit

Wife had veggie burger. Moist, nice flavor and plenty of produce.

I enjoyed the grilled cheese made with Brie and apples, strawberries, etc.

Service friendly and attentive.

Not necessarily super healthy--I just didn't feel in the mood for my usual salad--but plenty of nice vegetarian options if you want something along the lines of comfort food.

Loved this place! - Edit

The atmosphere was creative as was the menu and the food was delicious. I got the quinoa salad with mock grilled chicken. The salad was HUGE, fresh and delicious. The manager came by during our meal to check on how our meals were. Service was fast and friendly.

Pros: excellent food, good atmosphere, good service

Cons: somewhat expensive, not a great location, but ok

been here a few times - Edit

I've been here a few times. The first time I went they had a gardein burger for lunch. I had to order it with no mayo- then there was no sauce at all! I had to ask for hummus and it was still pretty blah. I've also been for breakfast and it wasn't bad. The only totally vegan option is the tofu scramble- it was flavorful but not worth the money. The last time I went I got their new quinoa and lentil burger- TERRIBLE. No flavor whatsoever- I actually had to put SALT ON IT. Ugh and their shoestring fries are the worst fries I've ever had. The waitress was also incredibly rude and dismissive when my mom who is gluten-free and vegan had to ask about options! We found a dish on the menu that she didn't even know about- the gluten free pad thai made with tofu. It was actually very good and a huge portion- but still $15! I would only recommend that and the veggie bisque which is actually made with cashew cream.

Good Soup - Edit

I only had the soup & vegan flatbread. It was a good meal for a rainy day. Saw they have a vegan gf brownie! Can't wait to try other things. The soup was good but not a meal by itself. The flatbread came with some nice marinated tomatoes. The building looks like it used to be a Captain Ds. But now it has a nice atmosphere. They have a gf menu, and the vegan options are pretty well marked. Even tho I ordered the veggie soup to be vegan, when they brought it, there was swirled cream on top. I pointed it out & they promptly brought me a vegan soup. I wasn't charged for the flatbread. Not including tip, my meal was $5.28. Easy on the student wallet :)

Pros: vegan flatbread, good service

Cons: most items on the low end of pricey, at first was brought non vegan soup

Williamsburg' s best Vegan restaurant - Edit

One of the best vegan places ever! The experience is amazing. They are very accommodating to our entire family. We are all Vegans and the dishes are delicious. We have had every vegan dish there. Will definitely be back. Highly recommend this place. The vegan flatbread appetizer is superb & the freshly made soup is so tasty. We usually do the spaghetti squash and the portobello mushrooms with jasmine rice!! Yum going there this evening.

What surprised us is the intellectual discussions with the other patrons. Great wine selection too!
Go you'll love it

Pros: Excellent food!, Friendly staff, Delicious options including vegan brownie :-)

Cons: Long wait times but understandable & worth it

Never go there! - Edit

Awful experience. Never going back. Waitresses are rude and ignorant of the menu item ingredients. She took my order wrong and then the boss came trying to make it better. Gave me a coupon for a discount. When I went back with my family, again the waitress was a problem and the food didn't even taste good. Portion size is small compared to prices. I predict this place will go out of business.

AWesome Food! GREAT service!! - Edit

My husband, a nearly vegan, and I a vegan found ourselves in Williamsburg, VA for a little over 2 weeks recently for circumstances related to his job. I was slightly concerned that we wouldn't find much on the vegan front to eat, enough so that we stayed in a hotel with a microwave and a fridge..I should have just planned to eat most of my meals at Food For Thought! First of all, whomever designated them as expensive, must be living on peanut butter and jelly. Granted, we live in the DC area, and if you are eating the most expensive MEAT dishes on the menu, they can be MODERATELY priced (16 ish) but since this is a vegetarian and vegan website(!) I am only reviewing THAT food,,,and IT was pretty darn cheap..easily comparable to a mexican restaurant..I have eaten there 4 times now for lunch and dinner, and none of my meals have been over 12$! Next, they have a very nice selection of bread, soups (the vegan chili is amazing!!) apps, salads, and main courses that are vegetarian and vegan..NOTE I didn't say "CAN be made vegan" These ARE vegan..Then they have several other things on the menu that CAN be made vegan..just by adding or removing this or that! Two different waitresses are vegan, the staff keep notes, and by our second visit, they knew us, and were giving us extensive recommendations. This is all in a place that serves meat! The owner pops by our table several times to check on us as well! WOW!!! They also had several awesome desserts!

Pros: Amazing quality, great selection, good price

A Williamsburg VA Find - Edit

The family and I tried Food For Thought for the first time this weekend and loved it.

Being the vegan in the group, I did a bit of research to find a veg-friendly restaurant that would also satisfy the carnivores. We were captured by the humorous and informative menu, and we were not disappointed.

During the first lunch visit (Saturday), I enjoyed the Roasted Vegetable Bisque, Sweet Potato Cornbread (complementary), and the Inca Super Grain Salad (quinoa) topped with grilled portabello caps. The servings were generous and served at the proper temperatures. The bisque was surprisingly good and spicy.

During the Sunday lunch visit, I enjoyed the Ultimate Vegetarian - 1/2 roasted spaghetti squash topped with bruschetta tomatoes on a bed of Jasmine mushroom rice. As an experiment, I had this one topped with Vegan Chicken Breast, a soy product that is amazingly like chicken. This meal was also superb.

The atmosphere is fun and educational. From the notable quotes on the wall to the card games on the tables to the book and newspapers on the bar, the preparation time for the food seems very short.

The staff was very friendly and had obviously been trained well. The servers for both visits knew the menu and the options and were able to answer all of our questions. Notably, they did not interrupt conversation at the table while serving. I did not have to ask for a beverage refill (a pet peeve) because the staff was paying attention.

Even during the lunch hour, the restaurant did not seem crowded and our party of five was very comfortable. We will definitely be back and highly recommend Food For Thought.

Pros: Excellent food, Attentive staff, Fun atmosphere

Best Pad Thai! - Edit

The whole experience was amazing. I had asked if the hummus they had contained milk, and it did so the waiter brought out a complemtary brushetta and flat platter. And the Pad Thai was absolutely amazing! They have two options for Vegans, Tofu and Vegan Chicken! They have a couple options on the menu for Vegans, but if you ask your waiter, they may have more that night depending on the specials. Great Service and Great Food, Highly Recomend!

Pros: Helpful Staff, Vegan Options

Best choice in town for interesting vegan fare!!!! - Edit

My husband and I were pretty concerned about finding food that fit our vegan needs while on vacation in Williamsburg. Luckily we scoped out Happy Cow beforehand! We ended up eating two meals at FFT, and both were excellent!!!! You cannot go wrong at this place!

The employees (and owner) show genuine concern about your dietary needs. They were happy to check on any menu items you might have questions about, and they were very knowledgable about their offerings. While I'm not a huge fan of mock meats, the brand they serve (Gardein) is excellent! The tofu? Non-GMO!!!

From breakfast to dinner, and anything in between, you can always find a meal match at Food For Thought!!!

Pros: Offerings, Service

Cons: Parking

Great, something for everyone! - Edit

Lots of wonderful options here for vegans, vegetarians, and everyone else! 3 nice veg specials tonight. I had the stuffed acorn squash and it was delish! Beet salad was wonderful, and the gluten free vegan brownie for dessert was one of the best desserts I've had in a while! Definitely worth the trip if you are in the Williamsburg area.

Pros: options, portion sizes, big!

Cons: portion sizes, big! pro or con

Wonderful - Edit

Had a delish dinner and returned the next morning for a wonderful breakfast. We talked to the owner, Howard, at dinner to complimnent him for the great dinner and knowledgable staff. We inquired about breakfast and he told us he could whip up some vegan french toast using almond milk! Now...if he would only part with his recepie for tha most amazing chocolate cherry brownie EVER!

Pros: Variety, friendly

Endless vegan choices and expanding! - Edit

I have visited this spot several times and it has exceeded my expectations. Being that my family enjoys a vegan lifestyle, we can go to Food For Thought and enjoy the hummus appetizer and then choose from several vegan options: vegan hamburger, spaghetti squash with vegan basil pesto, tofu pad thai and the chicken dishes can be made with the gardein chicken substitution. On occasion, they are now offering a vegan soup and dessert option. It is a 'must-try' place!

Several Veggie Choices - Edit

I went to lunch here. It has several vegetarian options. I got the portobello sandwich on cabitta bread. My friend got the BBQ tofo wrap, great as well. The side was sweet potato fries. I would recommend this place to anyone.

The cost was 9.50

food for thought - Edit

this was a great place to eat. we had a group of vegans and non-vegans. everyone had lots of choices.the idea of the restaurant is great. there are quotes painted on the walls, thought provoking questions on cards at every table. the service was good and the food was very good. i will definately go back when i am in the area again.

Pros: good food, lots of vegan choices, great concept

Return to Williamsburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Food For Thought closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5789 times since May 2008.