Food For Thought

757-645-4665

1647 Richmond Rd, Williamsburg, Virginia, USA, 23185

Serves meat, vegan options available. On the menu are several vegetarian meal choices like tofu, portobella mushroom sandwich, beet salad, salad with grain and greens. Breakfast on weekends. Will accommodate vegan requestes. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-9:30pm, Sat 8:00am-9:30pm, Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by jessicaprescott

Friendly and cute! - Edit

Williamsburg has surprisingly few options for a college town, and breakfast has been one of the hardest vegan meals for us to find when travelling. So we were pleasantly surprised to find the tofu scramble here. They even had smart balance for the toast and almond milk for the coffee. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The portions were huge!

AWESOME!!! - Edit

This place is the best! The staff and owner are always so friendly, it's a fun place to hang out with friends and family! I assume the bar is great, and the food is delicious! We always eat here when we visit as they have breakfast too! We even ate here twice in one day.

Pros: lots of creative vegetarian and vegan options! ver

From the Occasional Visitor - Edit

For a town where vegan options are limited... well, nicer dinner options for vegans that's not just salad, Food for Thought is definitely one of my favorites. The staff is so warm and welcoming and especially knowledgeable about the menu from my experience. My favorites are the cilantro lime chicken (substitute with vegan chicken) and the raspberry hazelnut torte which is all vegan, gluten free and absolutely amazing. Also -- if you are vegan, be sure to let your server know as the dinner rolls and butter are not vegan.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-25

Pros: Amazing service, Vegan options!, Great place for folks with food sensitivities

Cons: Snug space - be prepared to know your neighbor, Can be a little loud some nights, but not often

Worth The Wait - Edit

My husband & I really enjoyed our meal here. The wait for a table was about 45mins, but it was worth it. Our server was very helpful & suggested some vegan options. Instead of the regular bread basket, she brought me the flatbread which was vegan. As my entree I got the "Ultimate Vegetarian", (which was actually vegan). It's 1/2 of a spaghetti squash roasted & topped w/ pine nut pesto. It also comes with Jasmine mushroom rice. The best part is they offer a vegan dessert option, a raspberry hazelnut torte which was delicious. They also offer almond milk for coffee. I highly reccomend this place ????

vraiment parfait - Edit

nous avons adoré. beaucoup de possibilités Vegan. des serveurs à l'écoute. les légumes justes cuits et pas trop ( rare au US). le prix est à la hauteur de la qualité

Pros: attention réserver

Great veg food in a mostly non-veg town. - Edit

Williamsburg, VA is a wonderful place to visit. It's full of history and culture, as well as tons of tourist attractions. However, for the East Coast, it's one of the LEAST veg-friendly areas possible. This problem is readily cured at FOOD FOR THOUGHT. I've been to this restaurant twice, and do not understand why it isn't rated higher on Happy Cow. It's about the BEST place in Williamsburg, with fantastic food, house-made vegan/vegetarian options that are truly delicious and unique, and wonderful service/ambiance. Highly recommend.

Pros: excellent food, unique veg choices, great service

Cons: parking, wait

Great vegan options - Edit

My sister and I ate at Food For Thought for the first time tonight. I'm vegan and my sister is vegetarian. There were plenty of options for each for us.

Our waiter was very knowledgeable on what my options were and what could be modified easily for me. I started with the Roasted Veggie Bisque and it was exquisite. I had the Portabella Stack without cheese. They even had one very tasty vegan dessert.

My sister was very happy with her homemade veggie burger.

The service was extremely efficient and attentive. We were lucky to get there before the wait.

We shall return!

Pros: Tasty vegan options, Great service, Reasonable prices

Cons: Can get crowded

Best Restaurant in Wburg - Edit

Quite a few vegan options and you can even tell them you're vegan when you order and they key it in on the iPad - they even accommodated me on the bread they brought out and brought me a vegan flatbread to replace it. Sometimes I get a few veggie sides as my meal. Great, great restaurant.

Excellent Food and Atmosphere - Edit

Atmosphere was charming, surrounded by quotes of deep thinkers and its feel was much more private than the size of the room. We had the vegan flatbread appetizer with the thick tomato soup and the spaghetti squash and the portobello mushrooms with jasmine rice that others had suggested. It was all very good. Parking was somewhat difficult and we had a 20 minute wait to be seated on a Thursday night. It it weren't for that, it would be 5 stars.

Pros: Good service, Delicious food

Cons: Parking, wait

Favorite Restaurant - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant in Williamsburg. We always celebrate my birthday here because of the many options for vegetarians. They have many dinner options, but also several for breakfast. My husband, who has been vegetarian since his heart surgery, loves their vegetarian breakfast gravy. They also do call ahead seating, but any wait is worth it!

Great comfort food - Edit

Wife had veggie burger. Moist, nice flavor and plenty of produce.

I enjoyed the grilled cheese made with Brie and apples, strawberries, etc.

Service friendly and attentive.

Not necessarily super healthy--I just didn't feel in the mood for my usual salad--but plenty of nice vegetarian options if you want something along the lines of comfort food.

Worth The Wait - Edit

Excellent food attentive service. Wish I could transplant this restaurant to my town. Beet Salad and stuffed acorn squash special were outstanding. A very memorable dining experience.

Loved this place! - Edit

The atmosphere was creative as was the menu and the food was delicious. I got the quinoa salad with mock grilled chicken. The salad was HUGE, fresh and delicious. The manager came by during our meal to check on how our meals were. Service was fast and friendly.

Pros: excellent food, good atmosphere, good service

Cons: somewhat expensive, not a great location, but ok

been here a few times - Edit

I've been here a few times. The first time I went they had a gardein burger for lunch. I had to order it with no mayo- then there was no sauce at all! I had to ask for hummus and it was still pretty blah. I've also been for breakfast and it wasn't bad. The only totally vegan option is the tofu scramble- it was flavorful but not worth the money. The last time I went I got their new quinoa and lentil burger- TERRIBLE. No flavor whatsoever- I actually had to put SALT ON IT. Ugh and their shoestring fries are the worst fries I've ever had. The waitress was also incredibly rude and dismissive when my mom who is gluten-free and vegan had to ask about options! We found a dish on the menu that she didn't even know about- the gluten free pad thai made with tofu. It was actually very good and a huge portion- but still $15! I would only recommend that and the veggie bisque which is actually made with cashew cream.

Good Soup - Edit

I only had the soup & vegan flatbread. It was a good meal for a rainy day. Saw they have a vegan gf brownie! Can't wait to try other things. The soup was good but not a meal by itself. The flatbread came with some nice marinated tomatoes. The building looks like it used to be a Captain Ds. But now it has a nice atmosphere. They have a gf menu, and the vegan options are pretty well marked. Even tho I ordered the veggie soup to be vegan, when they brought it, there was swirled cream on top. I pointed it out & they promptly brought me a vegan soup. I wasn't charged for the flatbread. Not including tip, my meal was $5.28. Easy on the student wallet :)

Pros: vegan flatbread, good service

Cons: most items on the low end of pricey, at first was brought non vegan soup

Williamsburg' s best Vegan restaurant - Edit

One of the best vegan places ever! The experience is amazing. They are very accommodating to our entire family. We are all Vegans and the dishes are delicious. We have had every vegan dish there. Will definitely be back. Highly recommend this place. The vegan flatbread appetizer is superb & the freshly made soup is so tasty. We usually do the spaghetti squash and the portobello mushrooms with jasmine rice!! Yum going there this evening.

What surprised us is the intellectual discussions with the other patrons. Great wine selection too!
Go you'll love it

Pros: Excellent food!, Friendly staff, Delicious options including vegan brownie :-)

Cons: Long wait times but understandable & worth it

Never go there! - Edit

Awful experience. Never going back. Waitresses are rude and ignorant of the menu item ingredients. She took my order wrong and then the boss came trying to make it better. Gave me a coupon for a discount. When I went back with my family, again the waitress was a problem and the food didn't even taste good. Portion size is small compared to prices. I predict this place will go out of business.

AWesome Food! GREAT service!! - Edit

My husband, a nearly vegan, and I a vegan found ourselves in Williamsburg, VA for a little over 2 weeks recently for circumstances related to his job. I was slightly concerned that we wouldn't find much on the vegan front to eat, enough so that we stayed in a hotel with a microwave and a fridge..I should have just planned to eat most of my meals at Food For Thought! First of all, whomever designated them as expensive, must be living on peanut butter and jelly. Granted, we live in the DC area, and if you are eating the most expensive MEAT dishes on the menu, they can be MODERATELY priced (16 ish) but since this is a vegetarian and vegan website(!) I am only reviewing THAT food,,,and IT was pretty darn cheap..easily comparable to a mexican restaurant..I have eaten there 4 times now for lunch and dinner, and none of my meals have been over 12$! Next, they have a very nice selection of bread, soups (the vegan chili is amazing!!) apps, salads, and main courses that are vegetarian and vegan..NOTE I didn't say "CAN be made vegan" These ARE vegan..Then they have several other things on the menu that CAN be made vegan..just by adding or removing this or that! Two different waitresses are vegan, the staff keep notes, and by our second visit, they knew us, and were giving us extensive recommendations. This is all in a place that serves meat! The owner pops by our table several times to check on us as well! WOW!!! They also had several awesome desserts!

Pros: Amazing quality, great selection, good price

Return to Williamsburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Food For Thought closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.