REMOVED: Fig

• Veg-friendly

Contact 570-341-5250

431 Lackawanna Ave (at N Washington Ave), Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA, 18503

Serves meat, vegan options available. Located inside Alexander's Day Spa, this restaurant has a quaint atmosphere with seating for 23. Juice bar, organic coffees and teas, smoothies. Has Wi-Fi. Reportedly no longer offers veg-friendly.

Category: American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by PennsyltuckyVeggie

Worth Checking Out - Edit

Sharing space with the Alexander's Salon & Spa, Fig restaurant has a mod but elegant atmosphere designed with accents of green and purple.

The specials bragged a seasonal Hot Butternut Squash Soup and a 1/2 Sandwich was advertised for $7.50. The manager, Toby Landon, greeted us with bad news when she overheard our excitement over the Butternut Squash Soup. She told us they were out of all soups since Wednesday. We agreed to take a while and look over the menu which happily had a "V" by every Vegan choice.

Jim quietly pointed out to me that if they had been out of soup since Wednesday, four days later on Saturday it was not good to still advertising it on their wipe off board. Poor business practice and it should have been obvious where we got the soup information.

The menu did have plenty of other choices. All were moderately expensive, the special reflected the same prices as some other vegan meals. I chose a Mini Greens Salad with fresh mixed greens, 4 toppings and a dressing. I decided on that with beets, black beans, red pepper and avocado (up charge of 1.00). I ordered the house signature Fig Chutney as my dressing.

Jim chose the special with pasta salad. His half sandwich of choice was an Eggless Egg Salad on the Kalamata Olive Ciabatta. The sandwich filling is described as a foundation of cashews with turmeric, lemon juice, scallions, red pepper and spices. I am not sure if it was because it was close to the end of the day or end of the week, Jim seemed to get a little short-changed on what he ordered. First he (and I for that matter) had the soup option taken away. The self-serve coffees were running out and his ciabatta was old. It's not that we don't know what ciabatta is like, it is thick and has a bit of a tougher texture to it but this was like the bread bag had been accidentally left open.

I could tell Jim was really disappointed in his sandwich and he said the pasta salad was ok, it had chopped yellow and red peppers, garbanzo beans, a tangy balsamic dressing, soft pasta and a smoked gouda cheese in it. It was odd that with all of the vegan questions we had been asking and vegan menu items we ordered that she didn't emphasize that the pasta salad had cheese in it.

My salad was fresh; the shredded beets were raw and not processed the way many places serve red beets but the Fig Chutney was just sweet n sour.
Full review of Fig here: http://wp.me/p1GQWj-Ob

Pros: many vegan options, nice decor, friendly staff

Cons: inconsistent, food quantity unreliable, quality control

Return to Scranton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Fig closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 296 times since May 2011.