Espiral

Contact +351-3553990

Pç Ilha Faial, 14A, Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal,

Serves fish, vegan options available. Cafe and restaurant with relaxed vibe. Hearty portions of wholesome food using lots of beans, lentils, tofu and soya. Features Saturday jazz, African and other kind of music. Bookshop and several courses in macrobiotic food. Restaurant reports they are 98% vegetarian Dec 2016.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Portuguese, Non-veg

First Review by Espandy

very bad food - Edit

The restaurant is downstairs with a food court vibe. The service was very bad. We had to go upstairs to the connected bookstore to ask them to send an employee to the empty restaurant. After someone showed up, service was bad.

The food was bland & boring. I only ate it because i was really hungry, but in retrospect i shouldn't have because everything was kept in a steam table, but was kept at temperatures against basic Health code.

I have never actually recommended against going to a veg-friendly restaurant, until now. Don't do it.

I wish happycow let me give this zero stars.

Pros: none

Cons: food, service, ambiance

Very tasty - Edit

Espiral has a nice winter garden resto serving honest meals, Portuguese Brazilian influenced. Not everything is vegan so please ask. They have amazing burgers and tofu meatballs! A lot of deep fried stuff but totally worth it ;) Good value for the money too.

Great value - Edit

This place isn't fancy but it's definitely worth it for the cost. Lots of vegan options, big portion size and only 5-6 euro for a meal. And the food tastes very healthy (nothing fried), not a lot of salt.

Pros: Lots of options, Big portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Not fancy

Price doesn't pay - Edit

This is not the sort of Veggie place I want to go into.
A place that offers emulation of "normal/meaty" plates along with a fish plate... nah, dislike that.
Also, the food doesn't have much taste into it, it's very bland.
Been there on several ocasions and it never impressed me.
Below average.

Pros: Inexpensive, Central, The store is good

Cons: Food is really below average, Not enough Vegan choices, Place serves fish-based plates

A cantina mais barata - Edit

Um dos restaurantes vegetarianos mais antigos de Lisboa. Estilo cantina, com comida simples, sempre com opções veganas. Quem não quiser comprar bebida, há sempre uma infusão disponível gratuitamente. Nem sempre os funcionários são simpáticos, e muitas vezes o mesmo que serve a comida tem que dar a volta para receber o dinheiro no caixa, o que pode tornar o serviço lento. A vantagem é o preço e estarem sempre abertos entre os horários de almoço e jantar.

An oldie, but good - Edit

It's a canteen-like restaurant, with a good variety of foods to choose from and although not everybody agrees, I have always found it tasty. The price is very affordable and when it's not crowded, it's a cozy place to relax and enjoy your meal.
The only negative aspect I've always encountered is that the food display is not very friendly, some things are kind of "hidden" from our view and nothing has identification, so we have to ask "what's this, what's that" and when there's a long line behind us, it can be very stressful.

Pros: price, variety, tasty

Cons: canteen-like, food display not so good, some strange costumers sometimes

Comida de qualidade - Edit

É impossível não reparar no cheiro bom ao passar na porta do restaurante. A comida é muito boa, há uma grande variedade e se houver indecisão não há problema pois vale sempre a pena voltar ao restaurante.
O espaço é agradável, mas para mim o melhor é mesmo a oportunidade de levar comida vegetariana do melhor para casa. Os preços são bem em conta e as doses, quer a pequena quer a grande, são bem servidas. Gosto da simpatia dos funcionários.
Local que recomendo. Pode não ter a beleza de outros vegetarianos da cidade, mas a qualidade na comida e na confecção dos pratos existe. Mesmo para aqueles que não apreciam comida vegetariana, vale a pena pela experiência. Muito bom

Pros: Atendimento, Preço, Qualidade

Cheap and simple - no glamour - Edit

I haven't visit this restaurant in a long time. It's stuck in time and it could be a lot more.
What it is, is a simple and cheap canteen. The buffet has plenty of options but all very similar: stews of vegetables, mashed vegetables and seitan/tofu steaks.

I went at night, it was quiet and cozy but the decor is dated, time-worn and tacky. The staff were nice and the food was good (for it's cost). I payed 5€-6€ for a big plate and had the complementary tea.

It's great for a I-have-nothing-in-the-fridge kind of dinner or a eat-something-in-a-hurry lunch. There aren't many vegan options in Lisbon so this is great to have near home. But I wouldn't make plans to go there.

Pros: Price, Fast and easy

Cons: Lack of charm and appeal, Average food

Vegetarian haven - Edit

Vegetarian restaurants in Lisbon are not easy to find, especially restaurants that are open most of the day (several close for a large portion of the afternoon). My partner and I were lucky to find this restaurant located below a book shop in our visit in June 2014. We went to Espiral several times for lunch and were always satisfied by the quality and quantity of the food, as well as with the kind staff. It does have vegan options. The sitting area is very pleasant and one can has as much herbal tea as desired as well as a few free salad toppings. Espiral shop has also a cafe attached (completely separate from the restaurant). We didn't try it but it seemed like a good option as well, esp. for the times the restaurant is closed (mornings).

Pros: variety and taste, large portions, good location

A feed for weary travellers - Edit

Looks like a typical Portuguese coffee-and-pastries cafe, but behind the counter was a tasty dish of seitan and vegetables, which was served with fried rice and a bit of side salad (tomatoes, lettuce and grated carrot). A cheap and satisfying feed for weary travellers! The place obviously does lots of yoga, astrology, massage and the like - and probably there's music at weekends. It's website didn't really explain what to expect, but it does list the varied events that take place there. http://www.espiral.pt

Pros: Quick and tasty, Cheap, English spoken

Cons: Dish of the day or dish of the day!

My first experience :) - Edit

I went there in 1999! I just became veg that year, and the food there motivated me to continue, because i discovered the seitan and many other stuff i didnt knew :)
I don't remember a lot, but i do remember enjoying the food very much

Basic & Tastless - Edit

I really did not like this place at all. We decided to go the so-called restaurant downstairs (there is also a ground level cafe). The staff were great but the setup and food was poor. It reminds me of a factory canteen and is essentially a pulse and tofu festival with tasteless vegetables and horrid tasting side dishes. The tofu cutlets looked as if they had been there for days and there was a moment when I just thought of walking out but the staff member had already caught us and was getting ready to take our order. I'm sorry to say this but I could not bear to go back. Maybe we went at the wrong time as there were plates everywhere many with half eaten food on them it made the place smell a bit and put you off your own food. That's just the way I saw it on my visit on 25.08.12. Maybe I would try the cafe upstairs one day but from what I saw of the food on display I don't think I'd bother.

Cons: uncleared trays, basic food, shabby interior

Not positive - Edit

Is one of the first veggie restaurants in Portugal, i think that since then there was no improvement, and i don't recomend to any one who wants to try veggie food for the first time. It as a "prison like" way to order. It was the worst seitan i ever tasted.

Pros: It's Veggie, Has history

Cons: Food, Atmosphere, Staf

Friendly & Good Food - Edit

Just went a couple of times for a late evening snack in the cafe, there is also a restaurant.

Food is vegetarian, so check for vegan food. Easy, relaxed atmosphere, food tasty, good value too.

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Food varied, Friendly

wholesome food - Edit

A little bit away from the central area normally visited by the average tourist, but still within a historic district of this big city that is Lisbon. The food is wholesome, using lots of beans, lentils, tofu and soya. Feels very relaxed as it is a self service and the furniture nice, leaning towards rustic. It's not all-you-can-eat buffet, but the portions tend to be big, so it's very good value. Very popular with locals.

Pros: Excellent food, good atmosphere

Simple - Edit

I went there once and to be honest to food is ok, nothing special and the restaurant is to dark for me.If you dont have other place to go, its ok.They also have a bookstore but i just didnt like the way that the food are display, it looks like you are in prison canteen.I ear that at lunch its better and the area of the coffe is nicer than the restaurant...
The price is a lit expensive for what you get and the staff are kind of wierd to.

Probably it was a bad day...

Every Day Restaurant - Edit

Espiral offers a real variety of Vegan food, it as also some products with eggs or milk, but it's mainly Vegan.

The taste of food it's medium/good and the price is cheap.

with 10€ you'll have a full plate with 5 varieties you can choose, plus bread, dessert and drink.
If you go for the small plate, no dessert, there's always free tea to drink, you'll spend about 6€.

Definitely a good choice if you need to eat out everyday.
Pedro Pinto

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Espiral closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4762 times since Aug 2007.