El Banditos

319-358-2836

327 E Market St, Iowa City, Iowa, USA, 52240

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has separate one page menu with several vegan items on one side and a handful of gluten-free items on the other - ask for it when being seated. Uses local produce.

Categories: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by LenaH

Nothing to write home about - Edit

It's great that they offer a separate vegan menu, but the food is nothing special. It's seriously lacking in spices, and somehow they even mess up salsa (super watery). For Mexican food in Iowa City, sadly, Chipotle has tastier vegan options with their sofritas.

Pros: Separate vegan menu

Cons: Bland food, No spices

Special veg* menu - Edit

I visit Iowa City frequently and El Banditos is one of my go-to places. They have a separate vegan menu for all of their meals, you just have to ask for it! They are a smallish restaurant with a warm-yet-trendy vibe, and all of the staff are very knowledgeable about what is in all of the dishes. I have had brunch, lunch, and dinner here -- all delightful experiences. I can't believe no one has reviewed them here yet, this is a perfect example of a "traditional" restaurant that knows how valuable it is to tweak a few dishes to make them available to more people. I love El Banditos and can't speak highly enough of them!

PS: I want to rate them FIVE cows, but the system says "the highest you can rate a non-vegetarian restaurant is 4 cows." So, my rating of 4 is forced; I would rate them 5 if I could.

Pros: Vegan menu!, Friendly and knowledgeable staff, Great food, large portions

Cons: Sometimes run out of vegan dishes

Return to Iowa City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Banditos closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.