• Oasis - The Falafel Joint

Delivery
Take-out
Middle Eastern
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Middle Eastern food. Falafel, spiced pitas, baba ganoush, mango curry sauce, tahini, hummus. Falafel is vegan. Open Mon-Wed 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Venue map for Oasis - The Falafel Joint
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by nainabarnett

MelissaLarson

Points +1230

05 Jun 2021

Worth the drive from Cedar Rapids!

When I lived in Cedar Rapids I would often drive to Iowa City to eat here. I like both the falafel pita sandwich and the plate. Love the red cabbage! They would sometimes have vegan soup that was very good. Lentil or Carrot ginger.

Pros: Good value, Great vegan options

Cons: Small dining area, Limited hours

CaliVeganTraveler

Points +122

20 Oct 2018

Great hummus and falafel

Had a great late lunch here. Tried the falafel, hummus, fried potatoes and lentil soup. All were really good and I'll be back for more falafel and hummus soon!!

Pros: Falafel, Hummus, Fried pitas

boba5fett9

Points +48

15 Aug 2017

Best falafel

The falafel is so dang good! Don't know how they do it. Hummus too. Seems as though they sell tubs of it like it's going out of style. The full plate meal is my favorite. Lots of self-serve pickles and relish and hot sauces to choose from on a side bar area. Fast-food style ordering and seating, but worth it.

Pros: Very reasonable prices, Delicious falafel

Cons: Parking can be tough to find

coverseas

Points +233

03 Aug 2016

Good falafel!

As a visitor to town, I can only comment upon the falafel sandwich, which I returned for. As a connoisseur of falafel, I attest that it's excellent falafel -- the patties themselves; one does not always find a place where the actual patties have good flavor! The accoutrements were uneven, it's true -- the pita was generic white pita, and the fillings were fairly unimaginative. However, two factors combat that: first, the baba ghanoush at the bottom was great (I didn't find it 'unauthentic' at all), and they have a bar with hot sauce, cabbage, etc., that you can add.

The sandwich was quite reasonably-priced by area standards, and the service was efficient.

If I were a resident, I'm sure that this place would be a staple for me.

Pros: Good falafel patties., Inexpensive., Efficient service.

Cons: Uneven accoutrements in sandwich., (Obvs!) not a vegan place.

LenaH

Points +64

06 Dec 2014

A vegan staple in IC

If you're hungry, broke, in a hurry, vegan, or any combination of the above -- this is your place. Good, reliable food and service at an affordable price. They have a la carte options or full meals, as well as pre-packaged grab-and-go food. They are located on the north end, so also a nice neighborhood off the craziness of the pedmall.

sarahjane

Points +32

04 Dec 2010

Best falafel ever

The falafel pita is amazing! No other pita really satisfies me since I discovered Oasis. The tabouleh and hummus are really good too!

shineonyou

Points +853

14 May 2008

A must for falafel loves

I find whenever I eat falafel in other countries, I have to inform everybody that the best falafel I've ever had is in Iowa City! The hummus is also the best I've had. Plus it's cheaper than the other quick vegan options in Iowa City.

veggiebird

Points +41

Vegetarian
25 Mar 2008

Yum!

we stopped by for lunch as we driving through and had a great lunch. My husband had a falafel which he liked and loved the french fries. I had a mixed plate of hummus, tabouleh, and cabbage salad. My only complaint was that the tabouleh was more parsley and mint then bulgur. Different then I am used to, but tasty just the same.
quick and inexpenive.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, good prices

hclark

Points +140

01 Sep 2007

I'd give it a 5 if I could

Oasis is quick, inexpensive and the food is terrific! I'm a big fan of their falafel pita, hummus and fries (cooked in asoya!). The staff are always very courteous as well.

Pros: excellent food, inexpensive, quick

nainabarnett

Points +56

21 Sep 2006

their pita chips are addictive

This is another great place that will leave both you and your non-veg friends satisfied. The falafel pita (try it on the whole wheat) is vegan and absolutely delicious and they offer pitas with meat for the non-vegetarians. Also amazing are their freshly made pita chips. Probably not the healthiest, but they are definately worth it. Their hummus is great too and also available for sale at New PIoneer, Tait's, John's, and Hy-Vee.

Pros: cheap food, yummy

Cons: lacks atmosphere