Oasis - The Falafel Joint

Contact 319-358-7342

206 N Linn St (at Market St), Iowa City, Iowa, USA, 52242

Serves meat, vegan options available. Middle Eastern food. Falafel, spiced pitas, baba ganoush, mango curry sauce, tahini, hummus. Falafel is vegan. Open .

Category: Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by nainabarnett

Good falafel! - Edit

As a visitor to town, I can only comment upon the falafel sandwich, which I returned for. As a connoisseur of falafel, I attest that it's excellent falafel -- the patties themselves; one does not always find a place where the actual patties have good flavor! The accoutrements were uneven, it's true -- the pita was generic white pita, and the fillings were fairly unimaginative. However, two factors combat that: first, the baba ghanoush at the bottom was great (I didn't find it 'unauthentic' at all), and they have a bar with hot sauce, cabbage, etc., that you can add.

The sandwich was quite reasonably-priced by area standards, and the service was efficient.

If I were a resident, I'm sure that this place would be a staple for me.

Pros: Good falafel patties., Inexpensive., Efficient service.

Cons: Uneven accoutrements in sandwich., (Obvs!) not a vegan place.

A vegan staple in IC - Edit

If you're hungry, broke, in a hurry, vegan, or any combination of the above -- this is your place. Good, reliable food and service at an affordable price. They have a la carte options or full meals, as well as pre-packaged grab-and-go food. They are located on the north end, so also a nice neighborhood off the craziness of the pedmall.

Not Authentic But Still Tasty - Edit

As far as Mediterranean joints go in the area, Oasis is a totally fine, inexpensive lunch option. I like that they offer so much in the way of vegan items - baba ganoush, hummus, a few different kinds of salads, falafel, veggie kabob... (Stuffed grape leaves would be a nice addition!) However, their dishes are far from authentic. It definitely tastes like a Mediterranean place that's popular with the college students in Iowa. Meaning, the hummus doesn't have much in the way of cumin. The baba ganoush has none of its signature smokiness. And the falafel has the flavor of oil more than anything else. I agree with the commenters who said that the place could use a good scrubbing. It feels fairly dingy. That being said, if you're looking to grab a quick lunch that doesn't cost much with food that is totally satisfactory if not spectacular, Oasis isn't a bad restaurant to hit. Would this be my go to falafel and hummus place if it was in Los Angeles? No. But in small town Iowa, it's a-okay.

Pros: Lots of vegan offerings, Inexpensive, Fast

Cons: Very oily falafel, Very mild flavors, Restaurant a bit grubby

A must for falafel loves - Edit

I find whenever I eat falafel in other countries, I have to inform everybody that the best falafel I've ever had is in Iowa City! The hummus is also the best I've had. Plus it's cheaper than the other quick vegan options in Iowa City.

Yum! - Edit

we stopped by for lunch as we driving through and had a great lunch. My husband had a falafel which he liked and loved the french fries. I had a mixed plate of hummus, tabouleh, and cabbage salad. My only complaint was that the tabouleh was more parsley and mint then bulgur. Different then I am used to, but tasty just the same.
quick and inexpenive.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, good prices

I'd give it a 5 if I could - Edit

Oasis is quick, inexpensive and the food is terrific! I'm a big fan of their falafel pita, hummus and fries (cooked in asoya!). The staff are always very courteous as well.

Pros: excellent food, inexpensive, quick

their pita chips are addictive - Edit

This is another great place that will leave both you and your non-veg friends satisfied. The falafel pita (try it on the whole wheat) is vegan and absolutely delicious and they offer pitas with meat for the non-vegetarians. Also amazing are their freshly made pita chips. Probably not the healthiest, but they are definately worth it. Their hummus is great too and also available for sale at New PIoneer, Tait's, John's, and Hy-Vee.

Pros: cheap food, yummy

Cons: lacks atmosphere

Return to Iowa City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Oasis - The Falafel Joint closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2765 times since Aug 2007.