First Review by Tiggy

Refreshment and replenishment - Edit

Cute little cafe with good, wholesome food. Menu changes regularly. and some unusual options, such as a Japanese breakfast. Friendly service. Limited seating.

Pick up your supplies too - bulk foods are available, such as flours, lentils, nuts, and refrigerated products.

Nice new cafe in the inner west... - Edit

It was a nice surprise to find a new veg cafe in the inner west neighborhood. We came here in the late morning and ordered some coffee and food. The coffee is stove-top made and was nicely presented to me on a serving board with enamel pouring pot of soy milk. I ordered the tempeh wrap, which was quite delicious and fresh-tasting with herbs, a little bit of chili and house-made beetroot dip. My companion chose the smashed avocado, which looked no-frills and I was informed it was nice but fairly standard. We came back for lunch another day and this time tried the smoothies. The Green (kale) Goddess was a little bitter but slightly softened by the banana. However the Vitamin Charger was so bitter, with only the ginger really standing out, that we could barely finish it. For lunch we both ordered the (pan-fried) gyoza set, with miso soup, inari and pickled vegetables. This Japanese influence is what distinguishes Rhubarb from other brunch/lunch cafes in Melbourne. The gyoza were beautifully prepared, not sticky or gluggy like they sometimes can be. The inari was delicious too and the lunch was satisfying. We weren't tempted by the cakes on offer but were pleased with the food, which came to just around $22 each.

Pros: Decent food, Organic, socially responsible coffee, Not completely predictable brunch fare

Cons: Bitter smoothies

Return to Seddon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Eka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.