Dishoom

01312026406?

3A Saint Andrew Sq, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 2BD

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian restaurant opened Winter 2016. Please ask waiters for the separate vegan menu which consists of small plates, grills, sides & dessert. Main menu offers a large variety of vegetarian choices. Open Mon-Wed 8:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by nardanddee

Delicious Indian food - Edit

This was just a great place to eat. The have a vegan menu with lots of options. There curry is great, but not very special. Just as a curry is supposed to be. There side dishes are really great and you should try them. The service is also great. In beforehand we were told to wait 40 minutes at the bar (with delicious cocktails), but we only had to wait 20 minutes.

Pros: Lots of options

Cons: Horrible dessert

Excellent - Edit

Took a short weekend trip to Edinburgh and since my wife is a meat eater, I used HappyCow to see what would be suitable for both of us. Dishoom was the closest to our hotel and it was SUCH a lovely surprise.

I'm vegetarian but eat mostly vegan. While nearly all the designated veg options contain dairy, most can easily be made vegan. The menu is huge and you can easily piece together a satisfying meal. The staff is very mindful and knowledgeable of dietary needs :)

Everything about this place is awesome. Atmosphere, service, decor, etc. We were both so satisfied with our options that we ate here twice in 48hrs. If you're into Indian food, definitely check this place out!

Pros: Variety, Price, Location

Intresting Indian food in a cool setting. - Edit

I went to Dishoom shortly after it opened, it was picked because I was the only vegan in a group of omnivores and it worked well for that. They helpfully have a separate vegan menu.

The menu is designed so that you have several small dishes, which I am a big fan of. My only caveat being that there is just one vegan dish that could be considered a main, the Chole Bhutura. This is a chickpea curry severed with rice and it was nice. What is more special about Dishoom and what would draw me back are the small side dishes. I had crispy fried okra and the “No-Butter-Bhutta”, a char grilled corn on the cob well-seasoned with chilli and lime. We still talk about how great the fried okra were.

As well as the food, the setting and décor separate Dishoom from other Indian restaurants. It’s designed to hark back to a prohibition era in Indian. I thought it was well done.

I would definitely suggest it as a place to go any time I am in the minority in a group of omnivores.

Pros: Fried Okra, Decor, Friendly Staff

vegan knowledgeable - Edit

I went here for lunch with my sister (omnivore). The waitress was super sweet and knowledgeable about the difference between vegetarian and vegan. The vegetarian items are denoted on the menu. However, when I informed the waitress that I was vegan she was able to point out which items that are already vegan or could be veganized. This is a very nice place (suitable for a fancy date) with lots of seating. The portions are large and the food was very tasty. I had the chole bhatura with rice instead of bread (to keep it vegan), as well as the veggie samosas. I would suggest you call ahead if you are interested in having dinner here, as there can be up to an hour's wait if you just drop in during the evening.

Pros: large portions, tasty food, knowledgeable about veg*n needs

Cons: call before popping in for dinner

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dishoom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.