Desert Roots Kitchen

• Vegan
Contact 480-382-0228

414 S Mill Ave, Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85281

Vegan deli cafe in downtown with emphasis on global cuisine using as many local ingredients. Menu items such as wraps, salads, bean dishes, quinoa, pasta salads, breakfast burrito, smoothies, and baked treats. Became all vegan since 2012. Took over the location of the now defunct In Season Deli.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Take-out

First Review by SkinnyBytes

favorite vegan spot near campus - Edit

When I'm on campus this is the best vegan food around. A little tucked away when your finding it for the first time.

The food is always fresh, good variety and tasty too. Love this spot, give it a try.

Pros: tasty, affordable, good location

What an amazing place - Edit

I visiting my brother for a week and found the place thanks to happycow. I have to stop and eat here now twice. Such a delicious food, which is different from what I had two days ago. The attention is awesome and the place is just great to just seat, eat, and relax, specially today after a little run. I will be back!

Pros: People, Great Food, Atmosphere

A Quick, Delicious Meal - Edit

I stopped by this restaurant on my way home from a week in Phoenix, AZ. The restaurant is not easy to find from Mills street, as it is tucked away behind several restaurants. I walked into one of the restaurants on Mills and had to ask where this restaurant was.

I walked through the garden patio to the restaurant entrance, where I ordered a Thai noodle dish and curried garbanzo beans. For dessert, I ordered a creamy peanut butter/maple pudding.

The food here is served cold, but it is quite tasty.
If you are looking for a quick bite to eat, this is the place to go in Tempe.

Pros: Very fast service, Delicious deli items

Great for catering! - Edit

I've never actually eaten inside Desert Roots Kitchen off of Mill, but my boyfriend has often ordered their catering for his sustainability lectures and workshops at ASU. They always have delicious offerings including gluten-free, and the spreads please just about everyone that attends no matter their dietary background. Great wraps, potato salad, rice pilafs, and more. Everything is real vegetables, spices, and ingredients, and much of the ingredients are locally sourced and/or organic. The woman who owns Desert Roots is usually the one to deliver and she's super sweet and makes sure we have everything we need!

Pros: Catering, Gluten-free friendly, Local sourcing

Great Grub - Edit

We heard about this place at the Veg Fest and we're glad we made the trip down.
The staff is great, encourages you to try everything and the food was delicious.
Glad to find another Vegan restaurant in Phoenix.

just awesome. - Edit

The people here are very very nice. They are happy to let you taste something first. The hummus is outstanding. Lentil salad was really great as well as were the cookies. We had that with a half wrap and left happy vegans. Phoenix and area have been great and full of wonderful vegan food. This was one of my favourites.

Pros: friendly, tasty food

Cons: can be hard to find

Giddy with Joy! - Edit

This place is seriously rad! I love the people and the food that they make! I was super impressed by how good the food was! This place is definitely a must!

Pros: organic, local, changes daily

Cons: they are too amazing

Really REALLY Good - Edit

Was way better than I was expecting, and I was expecting really good! Totally worth the trip. Awesome food, great staff. Excellent vibe.

Pros: healthy, delicious, creative

Cons: none!

Delicious Food! - Edit

I love this place! It's probably kinda hard to find, but it's on Mill Avenue, tucked in the back of the courtyard next to FatBurger.

The first time I ate here I was so amazed at how good it was and how great and full I felt after eating their food. They definitely influenced me to become vegan!

The menu changes daily so I check their Facebook to see what they are serving. They use as many local ingredients as they can. They typically have 2-4 types of hummus daily, 4-6 of types of salads with veggies, grains, mac and cheez, vegan bagels, and cookie bars. I think they even serve breakfast!

They only have outdoor seating at this time, but they have misters on the patio to help with the heat. Desert Roots Kitchen has a nice friendly atmosphere.

Yumm! - Edit

Just tried Desert Root today for the first time...thanks to Happy Cow. The staff was great...I tried a Chili Black Bean wrap with a side of lentil and dal. I was in heaven! The dal had almond slivers and dates...so good! This is a tiny location with plenty of outdoor seating. A great local business. I will be back!

Pros: Excellent Food, Good value, Friendly Staff

Very good - Edit

Had a very nice afternoon lunch at Desert Roots. It was a Friday afternoon and the weather was great so after picking out our items we sat on the patio to eat. The food was really good (everything was vegan :-)), prices were good and the service very friendly. They are definitely going to be added into my lunch rotations.

Pros: Menu varies daily, Vegan

Cons: Not open weekends

Cute litte Deli in Tempe. Tasty food, daily menu. - Edit

Being a recent vegetarian, I'm always looking for new diggs to eat. I saw Desert Roots popup on HappyCow, and thought I'd give it a try. Overall, a cute little down-to-earth deli on Mill, with a small but tasty made-from-scratch menu which changes daily. No in-house seating, but there is a sizable outdoor seating area; there are cooling mist-ers, but in the summer you may want to just grab-n-go.

I had the Thai wrap with honey mustard potato salad, and I wasn't disappointed. The wrap was loaded with rice, beans, greens, and a touch of peanut sauce. The potato salad was not your run-of-the-mill either, with tasty bits of carrot and celery mixed in.

Since the website is still under construction, I was told to check them out on Facebook for the current menu: https://www.facebook.com/DesertRootsKitchen

Overall, a win for us vegetarians/vegans, with gluten and dairy free choices as well. Thumbs up!

Pros: Rotating Menu, Friendly staff/owner, Casual Deli Style

Cons: No indoor seating

Return to Tempe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Desert Roots Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8236 times since Aug 2007.