De Levensboom

+32-011226400

Leopoldsplein 44, Hasselt, Belgium

Vegetarian restaurant. Monthly cooking lessons. A small garden terrace for seating in the back of the restaurant in the summer. Open Tue-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, 6:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm. Closed Mon.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western

First Review by Ruby X

Very solid Flemish styled cuisine & great deserts - Edit

Listed as a vegetarian place but most of the dishes were vegan actually. We were with a large group so I got to try lots of dishes. Friendly service, Flemish styled cuisine largely. Interior looks like an old apartment. Other members of group were all omni's and they enjoyed the food. Vegetables are sourced from a biological garden, information about allergens available. House lemonade was quite nice. Decent hummus, kimchi with Belgian vegetables which was bit odd & not very kimchi-like but rather nice, seitan croquette, very solid quinoa burger which bit oddly came minus bun, decent vegetable,... Tad pricey but solid food, luckily they offer some dishes which I don't see veganized a lot like croquette's & Crème brûlée which brings us to the desert menu which was the highlight of the visit for me. Crème brûlée which chocolate was quite small but very nice, it tasted like chocolate mouse, really nice white cheesecake, green one with maybe mint? was bit odd but nice, white chocolate mousse reminded me a bit more of yoghurt than chocolate mousse but overall all very lovely. Very solid Flemish cuisine, decent portion,s tad pricey but within reason & really nice deserts. Jessenhofke beers, local company but brewed elsewhere are featured & they are decent. Reasonable wine menu, don't know if these are vegan & didn't check. Cash only. Very solid place.

Great food - Edit

Yesterday my boyfriend and I were at de Levensboom and I must say I haven't had such high quality food in a long time. Yes, it is pricy but the quality you get back for it is really worth it.
We both had the Filet Pur from Butternut squash and it was really well prepared. As a dessert I had the chocolate pear chia pudding which seemed really simple when served but which tastes really great.

The way they serve their food and drinks is also very nice, we both had apple juice which they serve in beautiful white wine glasses and the garniture of the plates is nicely done. So you also really get the 'chique' experience for the money you pay.

Whenever we are around Hasselt again we will definitely come back!

Pros: high quality food, food is beautifully prepared and presented, food is eco and local

Cons: a bit expensive (especially the desserts), you can only pay by cash

My favorite - Edit

EDIT 4 november 2016: I'm not visiting De Levensboom anymore... Since the owner changed, the quality of the food has gotten lower and the atmosphere has changed a lot. For example: the seitan steak is just a big piece of seitan with mushrooms in soy cream (really, I can make that at home very easily) and a colleague of my husband got 5 tiny asparagus with some garlic as a starter... Also, the menu said the apple crumble was vegan and when I ordered it for dessert, there was some dairy ice cream on top :-( (I'm so glad I checked before I started eating). I expected more and am saddened about this.

Original review in 2012:
De Levensboom is my favorite restaurant to go to. There aren't that many veg options in Belgian Limburg so I'm really glad we have one like De Levensboom. Like the other reviewers said, this is not a vegetarian restaurant, they do serve fish. However, the quality of your vegetarian or vegan food will nevertheless be exquisite.
I almost always opt for the daily menu because these dishes are creative and full of different tastes that compliment each other. These are dishes like seitan stew accompanied by rostis and fresh vegetables, a quinoa burger with fresh veggies and a little raw salad, ... You can not go wrong with the daily menu.
The standard menu has a lot of great pastas (indeed, Pasta De Levensboom is heavenly and so is the pasta pesto) and the appetizers are lovely. As a first course I usually opt for the sesame pancake. This is a pancake filled with fresh vegetables and an amazing sauce that varies. You have to try this!
There is a great calming atmosphere in De Levensboom, because it is a wonderfull building and beautifully decorated. I've never seen such a friendly staff anywhere else, they will help you with anything you ask or prefer.
Highly recommended!

Updated from previous review on 2012-07-25

Pros: vegan options

Cons: you have to check twice if it's vegan, long waiting times

Pricy - Edit

I think it's a bummer the prices are sometimes a little too high, though the food is ok. The seitan 'steak' isn't my favorite.

The place for veggies in Hasselt - Edit

An awesome restaurant, and one that has saved me many times when eating out in Hasselt. The menu is half macrobiotic, half vegetarian, and all of it is organic. Note that in the following I will only be talking about the vegetarian part, as I've never tried anything else.

The food is just great. The dishes a la carte are all excellent and the daily menus are always interesting and tasty. The menu mainly consists of pasta dishes and salads, with some extras like falafel. The daily dishes vary a bit more.
There is also a wide selection of drinks, ranging from fruit juices to bio-beers. The pre-dinner drinks are especially great.
The dessert selection is also quite good, and varies from day to day.

The prices are average: not especially cheap, but not expensive for the quality you are getting.

The staff is lovely: my girlfriend and I have followed a few cooking classes there, and they are just great people!

When you are in Hasselt, definately check this out! If you're a vegetarian, it's the only place to go, and it's good enough to convert non-veggies. I agree with the above poster: this deserves five cows!

Pros: excellent food, great service, great drinks

My favorite restaurant in Hasselt - Edit

As far as I know, this is the only vegetarian restaurant in Hasselt. They do have some meals with fish, but call themselves vegetarian.

I've been here many times and I've never eaten anything less than excellent. Although I must admit, I do opt for the Pasta Levensboom quite often. Because it is just so damn yummy! I've taken some non-veggie friends here as well and they all loved it.

The staff is also absolutely lovely, enthousiastic and helpful. They are possibly the nicest people I know.

The little garden terrace in the back is quite charming and there are usually some cats to keep you company. A minor setback might be the noise of trains passing by, but it has never bothered me.

So, if you ever visit Hasselt, be sure to try the Levensboom. I'd give it 5 cows, but the site wont let me...

Pros: very yummy food, nicest staff ever, charming little garden terrace

Cons: train noise on the terrace

Return to Hasselt Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Levensboom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.