DC Vegetarian - Food Cart

Contact 503-317-4448

430 SW 3rd Ave (at Downtown District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97204

Vegetarian food cart in downtown Portland serving sandwiches and drinks. Menu includes a house seitan steak and cheese, vegan Italian hoagie, vegan bacon cheeseburger, soup. Charges a fee for credit cards.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out only

First Review by Rusty Williams

Food cart downtown - Edit

This food cart is conveniently located downtown. They serve a quick fare like sandwiches and burgers. Their steak & cheese sandwich is really massive. If you get a chance, go for the breakfast menu (served until 11am). I got their "(Not) Egg & Cheese" sandwich and walked a couple of blocks back to the cart to try another breakfast sandwich, because it was so good! Some of their proteins are homemade, and they offer different vegan cheeses.

The sweets were only okay, though.

Pros: Good location, Yummy breakfast

Cons: Only comfort food/could be healthier, Breakfast only until 11am.

DELISH!!! - Edit

The BEST vegan breakfast sandwich EVER. We ran by here for breakfast when attending a downtown convention. The tofu was eggy and the sausage crispy...I am getting hungry just thinking about it! You need to hit this place up!!

Awesome breakfast sandwich - Edit

I can't comment on anything else other than the not egg and sausage vegan breakfast sandwich. It was made to order, nothing fancy but delicious and hit the spot! Price was very reasonable at $4.50 (although they do charge a $0.50 fee for credit/debit card payments, which I thought was fair enough). I hope to try out their lunch offerings when I visit the city again one day, and I can only assume they will be just as great.

Pros: great food, reasonable prices

Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches! - Edit

We just happened by here after having a slightly unsatisfying breakfast at our hotel. We were thrilled to find it and see that they are open for breakfast! The sandwiches were delicious; a bit on the not healthy side but in a good way as far as I'm concerned. Get your sandwich and head to the waterfront to eat your treat in a park! Going back tomorrow for a peanut butter cup :)

Pros: Good value, yummy!, open for breakfast

Cons: a smidge unhealthful

Downtown food cart gem! - Edit

Food cart downtown, great for lunch to take to the waterfront [or back to work if you have to!]. The menu is all vegetarian, and everything can be made vegan. We ordered the "Bacon Cheeseburger" and the "Chicken Salad Sub". All I can say is wow! Huge and super tasty! The ingredients were so fresh--and crusty wheat bread I can only dream of! Definitely the best deal of our stay in Portland.

The cashier was super friendly, as were the chefs when they had a moment available. With so many vegan-only options in Portland, we almost missed this gem, and we are so glad that we didn't. These guys are awesome and their food is incredible! If you're downtown and hungry, check these guys out.

Pros: huge servings, terrific value, Super tasty!, Friendly staff

Cons: --, --, --

Go. Here. Now. - Edit

I feel kind of weird trying to recommend something. This place has so much amazing stuff that really, the season dictates what I get.

Sometimes I want to bike around downtown PDX with a vegan burger in my hand.

Other times I want to get the italian sub with hot sauce and sit on the water front and languish on a blanket while I sip IPAs from my coffee thermos.

And then other times I want to snuggle with my boyfriend over the gluten mania of the steak n' cheese (cut in 1/2) and the chicken salad with tempeh bacon (cut in 1/2) on the sofa.

Whatever you want, they got it and at a great price. Try the house made peanut butter cups.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, f*cking delicious

Cons: short hours

I will forever crave DC Vegetarian - Edit

Their vegan philly made with their own seitan is incredible. Huge sandwich, cheap price, kind of messy, and very filling. I need more of these in my life.

Pros: BEST sandwiches, large portions, cheap

Cons: not always open, it's a food cart-not a sit down place

Quick Veg Sandwich - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and ate here on a past trip to Portland. Here's my DC Vegetarian review for HappyCow.

This is a food cart, not a restaurant. The menu is simple with a list of veggie sandwiches as well as ones marked as vegan-friendly. I got a seitan cheezesteak sandwich which
the owner/cook made on the spot for me. It was very tasty, my husband especially liked it. I also got a vegan snickerdoole cookie which was made by a baker who brought it to them. It was so-so.

The young couple who operate this cart were friendly. Worth checking out when in downtown Portland.

Regretted My Decision to Eat Here - Edit

Saw all the great reviews and thought I would give this place a try when I was downtown. The people were really nice and the food was served up in a hurry. I had a vegetarian burger and a bowl of chili for about $10. I regretted my decision. It was really, really horrible.

Pros: Fast, Nice People, Convenient

Cons: Vege-Burger was Horrible, Chili was Horrible

Very good! - Edit

The vegan cheese steak is HUGE and very tasty. I went on the one-year anniversary, and they were giving all customers free vegan ice-cream sandwiches. Very cheery and nice staff.

Pros: Good food, Good customer service

Cons: Just a bit of a wait

Just OK - Edit

I really wanted to love DC Veg, but the truth is that it pales a bit to Homegrown Smoker, which is not far away. We tasted three menu items, and none was great. The seitan cheese sub was just OK, and the sauce was just a bit too overpowering. A grilled cheese sandwich was greasy, and the bacon cheeseburger, while good, was overloaded with toppings and fell apart too quickly. I liked DC veg, and the people who worked there were amazing, but it's not a good sign when the best part of the meal - by far - was the awesome cookie. If they made it, this place is worth the visit, but otherwise, I'd head elsewhere.

east coast style sub shop packed into a cart - Edit

This place has had a weekly visit from us since we first ate there. The food is cooked to order so it isn't fast food, but the small wait is justified with some great subs big enough to fill any appetite. You can call ahead to save everyone time. The prices are extremely reasonable and the staff are friendly. We would recommend the blt, steak n cheeze, cheeze burger, or the chili with soy curls. Considering the lack of options on the southwest side of downtown pdx this place is a welcoming site.

Pros: quantity and quality, cooked to order, great prices

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has DC Vegetarian - Food Cart closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3188 times since Aug 2009.