First Review by Masalaflower

Vegan items marked, very fancy for the price - Edit

Absolutely delicious, and it seems way fancier than the price. Vegan foods were clearly marked (this is just my favorite thing in the world world as an introvert). We had plenty of leftovers with an appetizer, bread, and 2 entrees for 2 people. I hear the basement is really cool and everyone says to go there on a date night.

Pros: Very fancy for the price, Big portions

The Lunch Buffet Rocks! - Edit

I've come here a handful of times and always for the weekday lunch buffet. Otherwise, I feel that the items can get somewhat pricey, but the buffet makes up for it at only around $8 per person. As a vegetarian, you'll get 2 main entrees as well as the salad bar and the dessert, which is more than enough for me, as well as your naan. Perhaps one thing I'm sad about is that they never offer my favorite Indian curry (saag/palak paneer) at the buffet bar, but it is a buffet so I'm not going to complain - or at least they never do when I go. The food is pretty good, the waitstaff friendly, and the place is more on the sophisticated side, but it's perfect for both business meals and casual meet ups alike. However, it can get pretty loud.

Either way, it's a great place to go to for a quick Indian fix in the middle of the week.

Pros: friendly staff, great lunch buffet, clean

Cons: loud

No thanks. - Edit

This is the biggest Indian restaurant that I've ever seen. I love the looks of the place - especially downstairs. It was very crowded. I had to wait in line, which lead me to believe that I was in for a real treat. After soup, an appetizer, and a meal, I have no idea why it's so popular. It can't be the food.

I have eaten in many Indian restaurants all over the U.S. and Canada. It's my favorite food, but not at this place.

Best Indian in Austin - Edit

Perhaps not the most authentic place for Indian, but it's delicious nonetheless. The samosas are great. They know what vegan means, too, and have even started to label such items on the menu.

The atmosphere is nice, for dressy-ish or casual occassions. Like another reviewer said, though, it does get quite noisy, so i may not be the perfect date place.

Pros: Good Indian, Pretty vegan-friendly, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Noisy, Serves meat, Somewhat expensive

mmm.. samosas... - Edit

Clay Pit is probably one of my favorite Indian eateries in Austin! While it's not 100% vegetarian, there is a decently sized (and marked!) vegetarian section, and NOTHING I've had out of the many dishes has been bad (so far!). Naan is a little bit extra, but well worth it as well. I would definately reccommend sharing family-style with a few people.

I've always had polite servers and overall enjoy the atmosphere, although it can get a little loud when crowded. It also can get a little pricey with wine and whatnot, but nothing too bad. :)

Pros: delicious food, decent amount of vegetarian options, nice wine selection

Cons: can be loud, limited parking

Lunch buffet rocks sophisticatedly! - Edit

I had my 40th birthday party here, at the banquet table in the private stonewalled room, and it was spectacular. Pre-planning the group menu ($19 per person price fixe) was easy to arrange with the owner, and on the big night the service was excellent, food exquisite, served family style with much passing around of tasty bowls and platters. We were even kindly offered the downstairs room to put some music on and dance. The weekday lunch buffet is a great central location to meet up with friends, and the most economical way to experience the Clay Pit, at $7.95 (with two vegetarian entrees). Evening suppers are great for romantic rendevous and general downtown celebrations, though it can get pricey fast. Be in the mood for a big city vibe when at the Clay Pit, because with the open space and peppy jazz music, it's often very noisy. Go someplace else if you're needing a small and quiet nook. My godmother won't meet me there because it can be so hard to hear each other talk!

Pros: excellent service, gorgeous decor, tree of life mural

Cons: evening wait: 30-45 min., metered lunch parking

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Clay Pit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2197 times since Aug 2007.