CLOSED: Cholan

Contact 905-812-2700

808 Britannia Rd W (at Mavis Rd ), Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L5V 0A7

This Chinese/Indian/Thai/Sri Lankan restaurant has extensive vegan options and daily buffets. JUN 2015 CONFIRMED SHUT BY TRUSTED COW MEMBER.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Indian, International, Thai, Sri Lankan

First Review by dsparakh

A surprisingly decent lunch buffet - Edit

This restaurant is fairly casual in a clean way. I went for a late weekday lunch, not realizing it would be a buffet, a type of service I sometimes find disappointing. However, there were about a dozen choices, mostly but not all vegan, and I thought all the ones I tried were good. They were mostly from Indian cuisine, though there was also one tofu dish. In addition, the kitchen will make a fresh masala dosa for anyone partaking of the buffet -- it's included in the buffet price. Few of the desserts, though, were vegan. The one staff member we met, who I assume was the (co-)owner, was helpful and knowledgeable.

The restaurant is about 5 minutes from a Highway 401 exit (it's a bit west of Mavis road, on the south side of Brittania), and I'd gladly eat there again if I wanted a meal along the 401 not far west of Toronto.

Pros: Good food, Near Highway 401, Helpful staff

Nice food...website misleading - Edit

We selected to have a nice Saturday night dinner at Cholan because of the 5 star rating on this site. After visiting the website which describes the restaurant as being "a fine dining setting" we skipped on the jeans and t-shirt and dressed more appropriately.

Once we arrived, it looked like a small mom & pop type of place, very casual so we felt a bit over dressed.

The food was good, all vegetarian south indian food with many types of curries, rices, and vegetables. We tried the buffet not the menu, which has a lot of different options and were pleasantly surprised by the dosas that were offered with the buffet.

Service was ok, it was nice having the chef and waitress come over and ask if everything was alright. Wasn't a big fan of the desserts that were offered on the buffet table.

Overall, nice restaurant for a casual dining experience.

Pros: All veggie, Many options, Nice staff

Cons: Website misleading, Temperature of food was not hot, Had to get up to find waitress for drink

Super Yummy.. especially the dosa's - Edit

Okay so My girlfriend is Vegan and we were in Sauga heading back to London.. but wanted to grab a bite. We googled vegan, happy cow, and this place show up. we saw the description and the location, and we notice that it was close to the 401 so we went there.

we just managed to catch there lunch service, and called 5 minutes prior to 3pm coz we were about 10 minutes away and they promised us that they would keep the place open for us.

The food selection was amazing.. MANY MANY MANY vegan options and the taste was amazing too. I was amazed by the selection and taste... and the courteous staff there. The server was great, the other server was great and the chef even stopped by to say "Hello" to us and tell us about the dosas.

I would recommend this restaurant to everybody... vegn or non vegan (like me). I know indian food and this was the best bang for your buck.. only $10 for the lunch buffet. needless to say we were full after, and were raving about it on our drive home to london (ontario)

cheers

Pros: variety, good value, tasty

Yummy, charming surprise! - Edit

We throroughly enjoyed the food at Cholan. The Hara Bara Kebab was spicy, crunchy and delicious, topped with a roasted cashew and tamarind chutney. I had the Soya Curry with paratha which was like a rich deep Indian spicy vegetable stew, while my partner had the Kothu Roti, which was a heaping plate of chopped roti stir fried with spices, vegetable, and TVP chunks. Simply scrumptious. The chef even came out to greet us and ask us about our food. Really nice, class act. Great prices. Highly recommended.

Pros: Food, Service

Cons: Location

Out of a lot of things - Edit

They were out of half the things we asked for on the menu, including tofu, so the draw of ordering Chinese (re: Oriental) and North/South Indian was crushed, as tofu was the only interesting thing in the Chinese section.

We had Adai Aviyal, Hara Bara Kebab, and a fried rice/mushroom dish.

The first was like uttapam, or pancake with toppings mixed in. It was actually not very good (Saravana Bhavan makes a mean uttapam).

The Hara Bara Kebabs were spinach and potato fritters. Really, really crisp, hearty and filling, and each came with a fried cashew pressed into it.

The fried rice dish was the best of the bunch. It came with meaty fried mushrooms that I'll go back for again in the future.

Overall it was a 3-cow experience, but the mushrooms were so good I put it at 4.

Oh, and the chef came out and spoke with us, that was nice.

Excellent vegan/vegetarian choice - Edit

This place has only been open for about a month, but is destined to become a local favourite. They have a very extensive menu of vegan and vegetarian choices from South India, Sri Lanka, and Southeast Asia. Good quality ingredients, delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive - what's not to love? We went there with a bunch of young children, and the staff were most patient and accommodating.

Pros: Inexpensive, Wide variety

Return to Mississauga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cholan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4547 times since May 2011.