Chesters Restaurant and Bar

+44-1905-611638

51 New St, Worcester, England, WR1 2DL

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar and restaurant. Makes modern as well traditional versions Mexican cuisine alongside its trademark specialty vegan and vegetarian food. Situated on two levels, but for the most part in extensive atmospheric cellars beneath New Street. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by SplashWellyKid

Cozy place, delicious food - Edit

I went there with some friends and I can totally recommend it.
The restaurant is really cozy in my opinion, I liked the place.
The waiters were friendly and always took care that everything was alright.

They offer a menu with a huge choice of different meals.
Most of them can be made vegan or gluten-free and they will be signed in the menu. (you also can download the menu on their website to have a look)
I had the vegan mushroom Burger which came with fries and coleslaw on the side.
It was really delicious and I was hungry so the portion was just alright but rather big so the price is totally fine.
My friends also liked their meals and the restaurant was quite busy so if you are in this area and are looking for some nice food, this might be the place to go! :)

Pros: many vegan, g-f options, huge choice, big portions

Cons: some meals are a bit more expensive

Why can't all places do vegan options like this? - Edit

I had a great vegan meal at Chesters. The menu offers a lot of options and is very clearly labelled with which dishes are or can be made vegan. All you need to do is make sure you ask for the vegan version when you place your order.

The food was great and the waiting staff were really friendly and helpful. I just wish that all restaurants offered vegan options in the same way that Chesters do!

Pros: Good food, Generous portions , Loads of vegan options

Cons: A little on the expensive side

Favourite restaurant in Worcester - Edit

Love Chesters! So much vegan choice and is all clearly marked on the menu. Love it

Pros: atmospheric, huge menu choice, always asked whether you want it vegan or veggie

Fantastic Vegan food! - Edit

We finally managed to visit this legendary restaurant, which many friends and colleagues have been raving about and it lived up to the hype.
Having worked up an appetite wandering around the Malvern Hills we hopped off the train in Worcester(mind the gap, it's a heck of a drop from train to platform!) on what we thought would be a quiet Wednesday night; but at 6.30pm it was very busy (surely a good sign?), so we had a drink in the comfortable bar area.
I was pleased to find bottled Black Sheep Ale (which is sfv) and a good selection of Belgian beers amongst the usual bland big brands.
After a short wait we were led downstairs by a very helpful and friendly chap into the lovely restaurant - it was like being on holiday.
The menu was well-set out and comprehensive - I don't think I've ever seen so many vegan options on a menu. I opted for the chimichangas with 6 bean chill and it was excellent and the portion massive. I struggled to finish it...and I'm not exactly a small bloke.
Maybe they could do smaller portions and reduce the prices a bit?
The server picked us a vegan-friendly sauvignon which was also very tasty.
We rounded it off with a couple of espressos.
It was an excellent meal, but quite pricey. It was also heartening to hear the large group on the table behind us all taking the vegan option.
We will definitely go back :-)

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Vegan ale

Cons: Very pricey, Not enough Vegan ales, Portions too big

bad day or day of body snatchers? - Edit

I've visited Chester's many times and it had fast became my favourite restaurant in Worcester , so I thought nothing of inviting my mum who hates chilli, ketchup, vinegar an mayo and my dad for lunch there after being assured on previous visit that if I said we didn't want those things just to mention to the server it wouldn't be a problem.

Mum order a veggie burger served with coleslaw which we both said " we didn't want" so we moved it off the plate and moved the bottle of vinegar she then opened the burger to find it coated in a ketchup Which again We said we didn't want I attempted to take it back she wouldn't let me because she's too polite to cause a fuss she attempt to eat the rest of the burger it then caused one of her teeth to come out. My Mexican cheese toasty was burnt when it isn't normally.

The server was disinterested in us through out the lunch an slow in bringing us the rest of the meal which made my mum who was upset already before coming into the restaurant even more anxious and she got worse as lunch continued because she didn't like what she had been given .

I am Vegan and my parents are not it's hard finding some where I can eat a desert an have a decent choice an I had to moan to get them to come to Chester's as it was because they don't like change. I don't think I will now be able to get them to go to another Vegan restaurant because of experience they had at Chester's

Pros: Vegan sauces, Vegan cake, Nice drinks

Cons: Didn't listen, go it wrong, poor service

Magic Mexican Meals For Veg*ns! - Edit

PROS: Atmospheric bar & restaurant, popular even early on an out-of-season Monday eve (we had to sit in the bar area as the restaurant was already full when we arrived), decorated colourfully in a Mexican style. Friendly & helpful staff, with good, efficient service, even when busy. Vegetarian & Vegan specialities - Mexican & other cuisines - in addition to carnivorous options.

Enormous menu choice, with vegan options clearly marked - we were spoilt for choice! Vegan cheese, sour cream & guacamole available on mains; ice-cream & soya milk also available. Meal for two (shared starter & dessert, two main courses coffees & soft drinks) was £40, which we thought was good value.

See their website for the full menu (available to download as a PDF). We shared a garlic ciabatta starter. Mains were a difficult choice from so many - both were good-sized portions & hugely tasty. We had Boston Bean Chilli (with half rice/half pitta - helpfully suggested by the waiter) & Vegan Chimichangas (filled with 6-bean chilli & topped with salsa, guacamole & vegan sour cream; accompanied by wild rice & salad). Both mains contained vegan cheese. Dessert was a lovely moist carrot cake made with coconut & walnuts & served with vanilla vegan ice-cream. Soya latte coffees rounded off the meal.

Cannot fault the place & would love to visit again & try more items. Highly recommended. I'd have rated this five stars but cannot do so, as it's not a totally veggie restaurant.

CONS: Too far from where I live to visit regularly!

Pros: Enormous Menu Choice, All Vegan Options Clearly Marked, Great Food & Good Value

Cons: We Don't Live Nearby!

Return to Worcester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chesters Restaurant and Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1996 times.