Cheeseboard Pizza

Contact 510-549-3055

1512 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, California, USA, 94709

A worker's owned cooperative, part of the Arizmendi co-op. Arizmendi is the shortened name of Jose Maria Arizmendiarrieta, a young priest who inspired and helped found the Mondragon Cooperatives in the Basque Country of Spain in the 1950s. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:00pm, Tue-Sat 4:30pm-8:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Category: Lacto, American, Pizza, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by vduplessis

Great vegetarian pizzas, cheeses, and pastries - Edit

This place is delicious. They serve one pizza a day featuring fresh veggies. The cheese and pastry shop next door is amazing too. Lots of great options. This place has wonderful community feel to it and is always packed. When we went, it was kind of expensive. A whole pizza is $22.

Pros: Fresh veggies, Delicious

Cons: No vegan options, Expensive

What they have vegan is good - Edit

I had to go to the horrible, leather-selling shoe store that's two doors down from this place to pick up some slippers for the disabled woman I care for as my main income source and I was hungry so I decided to stop into Cheeseboard and see if they had something vegan because, though it's called "Cheeseboard," it just LOOKED like a place that would have some vegan stuff. And, yes, they did! I got this polenta/black bean/salsa thing that was really quite tasty. In fact, I think I'm going to imitate it at home. They also had a kale side salad that looked rocking but I didn't get it because I wasn't trying to spend too much.

After, I went upstairs in the same little shopping corner to this cupcake shop called Love at First Bite and they have this vegan chocolate cupcake there that is seriously, hands down, THE BEST chocolate cupcake I ever did eat. I mean, I'm not usually a chocolate cake eater, I prefer non-chocolate cake, but I have dreamed about this cupcake ever since I ate it, it's that good. They apparently also have a vegan ginger cupcake but neither of the times I went to this place did they have that. Ever notice how every place runs out of their vegan stuff first? Ummm, guys, maybe do more vegan and less animal secretions stuff. That's my suggestion.

Pros: cupcake show upstairs, worker-owned

Cons: not entirely vegan

delicious pizza - Edit

I don't see the point in complaining that a place called "Cheeseboard" isn't vegan. If you want tasty, meat-free pizza in North Berkeley, look no further!

Pros: good value, creative

Cons: crowded

vegetarian yet not organic? - Edit

The pizza tastes good, but I never understood the logic behind restaurants serving vegetarian fare, and give the impression that they're avoiding the meat industry cruelty, yet use dairy products from the similarly horrible animal cruelty dairy industry. Contradictory. This place doesn't get my support until they start ACTUALLY caring about other sentient beings.

Return to Berkeley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cheeseboard Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2295 times since Aug 2007.