Chaya Macrobiotics - Shiodome

• Veg-friendly
Contact 03-3573-3616

Royal Park Tower, 1-6-3 Higashi-Shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Macrobiotic food cafe located near popular Ginza district. Menu features mostly vegan food: salads, curries, burgers, soups, stews. Some dishes with fish. Prices from 800 to 1300yen per dish. Address in Japanese 東京都港区東新橋1-6-3 ロイヤルパーク汐留タワー1F

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Take-out, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by ashwinn

packaged food simply heated up? - Edit

I was a bit disappointed. First of all, I ordered a pasta dish, which I thought was to be a tomato-cream sauce, but in reality it was for the most part a tomato sauce. Secondly, after eating and paying I wandered around the shop looking at the items they have for sale, and saw the exact tomato sauce which I had just eaten, but in a package. I guess my pasta sauce that evening came from such a package, in which case, why bother eating out?

Love it! - Edit

All vegetarians and vegans know the problem: Japan is a great country, until it is time to eat. Every day is a new challenge. "Chaya Macrobiotics" in Shiodome (Tokyo) was a life saver for me. The sign on the building proudly states: "Fresh seasonable vegetables and whole grains, no meat, no eggs, no dairy, no refined sugar". For reasons beyond my comprehension fish is on the menu. However, the (English!) menu clearly states which dishes have fish in them so one can easily steer clear of them.

During my three week stay in Tokyo I went back to Chaya many times and basically I tried everything on the menu, except for the dishes with fish in it. Every time I had a tasty and healthy meal. My favourites were the deep fried tofu wrapped in seaweed (starter) and the soy milk risotto (main dish).

Portions are rather small and Chaya isn't exactly cheap. A "set menu" doesn't mean several servings (starter, main, desster), but just a big plate offering some extra variety and costs about 1200 yen. Yet, the high quality product and good service make up for it.

The prestigious location might also explains the somewhat higer price. Chaya Macrobiotics is in the same building as the "Royal Park Hotel Shiodome" (on the ground floor), making it extremely easy to find. From the Shiodome station it is a one minute walk. From Ginza main street it is a 5 minute walk. In other words: easy to find, conventiently located.

Pros: easy to find, good, healthy food, English menu

Cons: Not cheap, Small portions

vegan + seafood (within the royal park hotel) - Edit

Nice spot at the ground level of the royal park hotel, close to media / advertising companies.

Definitely worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood. Wouldn't travel a great distance to come here.

Pros: service, clearly marked vegan / seafood dishes , vegan desserts

Cons: pricey / high rent location

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chaya Macrobiotics - Shiodome closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2482 times since Mar 2012.