First Review by bkkguy

Opt For The Khmer Food - Edit

My boyfriend and I were staying around the corner from Cafe Soleli and were eager to give it a try as it was our nearest veggie friendly restaurant.

The restaurant itself is very pretty, has both indoor and outdoor seating and the service was friendly, if a little bit slow. The menus are very old, tatty and hard to read as the photocopies are dreadful, but we managed to decipher them and I ordered the hummus and salad bagette ($3.00) and Kerry opted for the curried noodle soup with veggies (2.75.) It took aout 20 minutes for our food to arrive and when it did I was a little disappointed. The bagette was really small, had barely any hummus in it and was essentially a salad roll. Kerrys curry was good though, lots of veggies, tofu and thick hearty noodles. I made the wrong choice (but I have a hummus addiction to feed...)

Overall it wasn't a terrible experience and if we return I'll opt for Khmer food :)

Pros: Good Location , Reasonable Prices

Cons: Small Portions , Slow Service, Ants on the Table

Good stop - Edit

I stumbled on this little place down one of the maze of lanes while wandering.

They serve good food and nice teas.

This was a nice rest bite from the heat, but was a bit quiet for my liking, but would still recommend

Pros: little place, nice

Cons: nothing really

Cozy place with Western and Khmer - Edit

Pleasant place with WiFi and PowerPoints. Everything I tried was tasty - especially the peanut coconut noodle salad. They use a lot of dairy and eggs compared with other vegetarian restaurants.

Average, okay prices - Edit

I went for lunch here today, and my husband and I ordered ice coffee's with soy milk which was very refreshing. He ordered the vegetable Tom Yum soup and it came with brown rice in a heart shape on a plate. I ordered the Pumpkin Curry that also came with brown rice. His meal was delicious and I would definitely order it for myself. My dish however, was simply a bowl of half-cooked pumpkin and oil. No spice or seasonings whatsoever, we had to ask for chili sauce to make it decent. The menu said that it was "Pumpkin Curry with Coconut Milk", sadly there was no coconut milk in it at all. Just oil and grease. I scooped out as much oil as I could onto my plate. I was shocked that they would serve a dish that looked this way, there was about an inch layer of grease on top of the "Curry"; Disappointing, especially since it was listed under "Khmer Food".

The service was good, they spoke basic English and we left only spending $10 total.

Worse than imagined - Edit

It was 845 at night and got the urge to eat with the family. The restaurant closed at 10 PM. We arrived by 910 but they cleaned the kitchen and only gave us premade food.

The ice cream was freezer burn and the other food was tasteless. Sad experience

Pros: Open later

Cons: Service, Quality of food, Taste of food

Friendly Veggie Cafe - Edit

We've eaten here a few times and really love it. Staff are friendly and the atmosphere is laid back and relaxing. Outside seating is great in the evenings. Good choice of vegan food. Reasonable prices.

Pros: good vegan food, friendly staff, great location

Cute and good restaurant - Edit

I had cashew nuts, mango and tofu. My friend had a mango salad I think. Both where in good quantities and qualities. The food was fresh and my plate was delicious (but mango and cashew are some of my favourite food so I might be a little biased). The staff was polite and smily. The decoration is cute. The prices are good for what you have.

Poor, no service, no conscience, just thieves - Edit

We ate 3 times in the Café Soleil and it was getting worse.
First, the proportions are ridiculous, if you're really hungry, leave! The last time we went there was the worst! We ordered two breakfast with bread and tea. After a good half hour, we were served and started to eat but bread was infested with ants.
We went to the employee for replacement of the bread, he gave a big smile (it sounded so much like fun for him) to show his indifference but nothing was done to correct. The boss was there and he himself has done anything like it was quite normal to serve bread with ants in a vegetarian restaurant.

We just drank our tea, hoping a discount for the poor food at check. But no! Nothing, we left hungry, not a gesture of goodwill, we have fully paid the bill and even worse, they are mocked about us playing with our tickets jokingly repeating "see you see you!"

A shame! They are not professionals, just thieves. I strongly advise against...

Visited February 2015

Pros: location

Cons: small portions, bread stuffed with ants , unprofessional staff

lovely little find! - Edit

My husband and I visited this place four times during our stay inPhnom Penh. Lovely food with lots of veggies rather than fake meets. A great selection for a very reasonable price!

Pros: proper veg - no fake meat, cheap, delicious

Nice quiet place, good cheap food - Edit

Just got back from a Sunday evening here. Not the biggest or busiest place, but the menu serves an extensive mix of Khmer, other Asian and Western foods. Had the (tofu-based) Amok and can recommend it - a curry with a hint of Thai about it. Was certainly well fed with plenty of change from $10.

Nice little cafe - Edit

Cute little cafe, served a good amount of vegan food. Ate there twice and tried stir frys, green curry and houmous baggette, all really good. We did find it hard to find as the building numbers on this road aren't in order!

Great Restaurant Serving Tasty Food - Edit

We visited this restaurant for the first time, and were very impressed. The staff are friendly and helpful and speak good English. The menu is fairly extensive, and includes breakfast, pastries, desserts, Khmer food, Western food, sandwiches and snacks. Prices are very reasonable - Khmer main meals cost $2-3. Food is MSG-free. Very easy to find. On Street 278 between streets 57 & 63.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable Prices, Friendly and Helpful Staff

Return to Phnom Penh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Soleil closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3366 times since Aug 2012.