Cafe Jay

858-535-6450

9450 Scranton Rd 114 D, San Diego, California, USA, 92121

Serving vegetarian Thai food in the food court by Qualcomm. Open Mon-Fri 10:30am-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by nardanddee

Solid Vegetarian Food Court Thai - Edit

Vegetable filled, made to order Thai food in a strip mall food court. Most everything except the Cream Cheese Wontons are vegan--noodle dishes have option egg--but still I'd recommending confirming your choice is indeed vegan. Don't expect anything to actually be spicy--the kitchen is only armed with red pepper flakes (like the kind you put on a pizza).

It drive me bananas that the menu says "Seitan = Soy Meat" this is not true and rest assure that seitan = seitan in all the noodle, stir fry, curry dishes. The specials--which all say they are made with seitan--are actually made with soy meat (shrimp and fish fillets) which are a rude surprise when you hate mock seafood like me. Did this paragraph confuse you...? Exactly.

That said, I still eat here all the time. My recommendations include:

--Lek Yum Noodles (soup) with seitan ($6.99)
--Power Pocket with sweet potato fries, soup, and salad ($8.99)
--Pad Se Ew ($6.99)
--Tom Kha ($3.99)

Pros: Affordable , Large portions

Cons: Styrofoam , Unclear which mock meats come with which dish

Impressed - Edit

I was so happy that there was a dedicated veggie spot in the food court. I ate there twice during my San Diego visit. I had the See U with tofu and the Golden Pockets. I enjoyed my food both times. This place gets a good amount of traffic so you may want to either take your lunch hour earlier or later than usual because there may be a bit of a wait for your food.

Pros: good prices, very tasty food, wide variety

Cons: moderate wait time

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Jay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.