REMOVED: Cafe Causette

Contact 28254005

5 Connaught Rd, Central (at /Inside Manderin Oriental Hotel), Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Trendy atmosphere. Menu changes seasonally but usually vegan options including whole wheat spaghetti vege bolanaise sauce, organic salad with flowers & dried fruit with earl gray dressing, yellow dahl soup with vegan pesto, pak choi mushroom Chinese soup, stir-fried Chinese veggies with brown basmati rice, Chinese pudding and more. Uses no MSG or mock meats. Reservations needed only for lunch. 2015 REPORTED ADDED MORE MEAT TO MENU.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, International, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Cafe Causette, Hong Kong - Edit

I had dinner here last night. From the right up on Happy cow I was looking forward to being well catered for. It turned out to be a little trickier.

It's located in the mezzanine of the Mandarin Oriental hotel. Do not go anywhere near this place if you are at a stage of your life where you are on a tight budget.

I asked the waitress what was vegan friendly. I may as well have landed from planet Zob. She passed me across to someone else. He also didn't understand what vegan meant. He tried to help though when I said to him, 'no milk products, no egg products, no honey'. He wasn't able to offer me too much from the menu but said the chef would be able to cook something up.

I eventually plumped for something on the menu called a Pulse Burger. Brownie point to waiter when he came back a few minutes later and said that on checking with the chef, this was made with egg.

Next was his suggestion of a sautéed noodle dish. He suggested a salad which I agreed to thinking me meant on the side. It turned out this was brought out as a starter. Before that I was presented with a couple of slices of toast. I'd no idea how that crept into the order but ate it anyway.

The noodle dish was lovely, the salad (side or otherwise) was a bunch of green leaves. The toast was toast. I also had a fruit juice drink.

While by no means putting me in a difficult situation, I was a little surprised when the bill came to hkd 536. Clearly I need to improve my Cantonese (something I knew anyway).

I'm not really sure why this place is listed on happycow. The place primarily caterers to meat eating. I didn't see anything that especially made they were making a big stab at the veg*n market.
Updated from previous review on Monday June 02, 2014

In response to the comment added below.

Good day Mr Chan,

It all depends on what you want from eating a restaurant. I simply would like the peace and tranquillity to be able to enjoy some vegan friendly food. If you want to go into restaurants on a crusade to educate the management, it's certainly not for me to tell you any different.

Best wishes,

Pros: Not the best for vegan friendliness, Waiter tried to be helpful

Cons: Nowhere near budget friendly

JChan Causette is a nice place with several very good vegan dishes. But you need to tell the waiter about butter, egg and dairy to avoid and they will do it for you.
One of the best I enjoyed there is the grilled Portobello mushroom on a stack of spinach. This dish plus the very nice hot rolls they provide with the meal is more than sufficient to satiate. Mandarin is a high service hotel, and they do their best to please any customer. Hence us vegans should do our best to communicate and educate waiters who have no idea what we need! And they are most willing to comply. Our patience with those who are ignorant will one day reap the benefit of having spread the ideals of veganism.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Cafe Causette closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 693 times since Dec 2012.