CLOSED: Cafe Babylone

Contact 418-523-0700

181 Rue St Vallier Est (at Rue Caron), Quebec, Quebec, Canada, G1K 3P2

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant and cafe. Menu includes many vegetarian items using local and in-season produce. Also bar featuring live local musical performers, poets and traditional québécois story telling. DEC 2015 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by jedzen

Service excruciatingly slow, vegan meal OK - Edit

I went there last night with a group of people. There was already a fixed menu for the group with three dishes, one of them lacto-ovo-vegetarian, plus a choice of mezze or appetizers. Being a vegan, I had phoned them beforehand and asked them to make me a vegan meal, including a choice in the appetizers (included in the meal price of $20) and a dessert ($5 extra). The man said he could make the main dish for me, and also the dessert, but with a little hesitation at first. First of all we were served mezze: 3-4 different dips in tiny containers, most of them vegan, with equally tiny pita bread triangles (not enough of them to go around). After all the others in the group I was finally served a "lukewarm salad" ("salad tiède") consisting mainly of: tofu steaks (delicious!!!), argula lettuce, quite a lot of roasted almonds, and a tiny bit of quinoa tucked in the corner. I would have liked more veggies and grains for the price paid ($20). The other people at the other tables were being served coffee, but no dessert came. Finally, at 9:30 p.m, I was getting pretty restless and went to the counter in front. I could see that the desserts were finally coming. When my waiter saw me he said, "I can serve you now if you want," as if he were granting me a special favour (they were obviously going to serve me last then, too). He produced a piece of (presumably vegan) chocolate cake and cut it in half. The half looked quite small for the price paid and I was utterly fed up at that point, so I said, "No thanks, I'm leaving." Will not return there, not to eat anyway. Maybe for a concert and a drink but nothing more. I sort of went there with the group to see what it was actually like for a vegan and to show them there is a demand for vegan food. I would say they are "somewhat" vegan friendly but definitely need working on. If more people go there and ask for vegan food, that will surely help the cause. However this establishment really needs to speed up its service if it wants people to go back.

Pros: Delicious tofu steaks and lovely argula, Some accommodation for vegans

Cons: Service excruciatingly slow, Rather skimpy for price paid, Would have liked more vegetables/grains

Vegetarian-friendly, not so vegan-friendly - Edit

The place has a nice ambiance and a decent choice of alcohol. There are a lot of vegetarian options, however, there are no vegan option on the menu and, of my experience, would not qualify it as vegan-friendly. A lot of the cooked vegetarian meals have cheese in them, so it's impossible the be made vegan. I asked the staff if there was something vegan or if we could adapt one of the meal and they had nothing to offer. I ended up having 3 appetizers - which were good, but it ended up rather expensive and definitely lacked proteins. In their defense, I think they are working on a new menu, so perhaps, it will change. I don't intend on going back though, as there are better vegan options in this neighborhood.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 19, 2013

Pros: Vegetarian options, Nice vibe, Good choice of alcohol

Cons: Not vegan-friendly

Veg-friendly! - Edit

I love Café Babylone. In Québec city, there are not a lot of vegetarian spots so finding a veg-friendly place to eat is always fun.
The owner, as well as many servers, are friendly and nice to talk to. Tell them you are vegetarian/vegan and they will be happy to help you with your choice.
Soymilk is available for coffee/soylattes. They have a wide variety of veggie sandwiches and you can order them without cheese. Salads are good. The best item on the menu is called 'La belle verte' Not expensive ( about 8$ ) and really filling. You get a big salad with lots of greens, fruits, and anything the chef wants to throw in ( it's never the same ), tamari almonds, veggie pate, and hummus with crackers. Their home made olive tapenade with pita bread is also a good choice. A lot of their soups and daily specials can be made vegan. They also have quinoa or rice dishes, and pasta. They don't have vegan desserts ( but i keep telling the owner to make them! ). They have a great selection of organic wine and beer. On the evening, you can enjoy live music, poetry reading, tango dancing or any other kind of art event... Really nice place.

Return to Quebec Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cafe Babylone closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3114 times since Jun 2009.