CLOSED: Butterfly

Contact 413-585-8989

48 Russell St, Hadley, Massachusetts, USA, 01035

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a vegetarian menu consisting of dishes with faux meats. Cheap lunch prices. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Chinese, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by will-travel-for-food

rude people. vegan unfriendly - Edit

i ordered vegan moo shu without egg, but i recieved moo shu that was full of egg. so i called butterfly to ask them to please remake my order and deliver it to me. whoever answered the phone thought my request was pretty funny and laughed in my ear before hanging up on me. after venting to a coworker i found out that this is not an isolated incident -- that the folks at butterfly are often dishonest about so called "vegan" ingredients, and have been known to disrespect vegan requests. with so many other great options in the area, i'll never give this place my business again.

Cons: rude staff, rude staff, rude staff

Good Chinese and Japanese to please vegans and non - Edit

I like Butterfly because they have an extensive vegan menu and serve brown rice upon request. Although it does not always feel like the healthiest food, it is a treat, and it can even be delivered to Northampton. It also pleases friends and family who are non-vegan, and serves as a great place for holiday meals on days like Christmas or Thanksgiving when other places are closed.

To avoid too much mock meat, I often get tofu dishes, which are always pleasing. The ginger tofu is good, and I like tofu, broccoli and eggplant in garlic sauce the best. My friends prefer the mock sesame chicken, and call it vegan crack. If I order a mock meat, I prefer the beef, which tastes a little mushroomy and does not remind me too much of meat.

The appetizers are all good- dumplings, won tons, soups, and I usually order the seaweed salad. The price is reasonable, and I usually have a lot left over.

Pros: Extensive purely vegan menu, Curteous, helpful staff, Convenient location or delivery

Cons: Also extensive meat menu

good - Edit

there were vegetarian sushi that was very good. The tofu crunch was especially good. I got fake chicken with garlic sauce. It was tasty but not exceptional and came in a very big portion size. They were also open late Christmas eve for us weary travelers. The waiters were very attentive and nice. We also ordered boneless spare ribs (vegan) and had to double check that they were vegan!

Pros: good service, fake meats

Nice staff and good concept, but mediocre food. - Edit

Although there are plenty of vegan/mock-meat options available at Butterfly, I wasn't very impressed by the food overall. It wasn't bad -- just unremarkable. Also, they only serve beer and wine: no hard liquor. (I have to admit, I like a mai tai with my Chinese/Polynesian food!) The Valley is so saturated with outstanding vegan options that I probably won't venture to Butterfly again. Our waiter was extremely nice, however, and I am glad that there is yet another vegan option in the area. I know folks who really love this place.

Pros: another vegan option in the area, nice staff, convenient location

Cons: food was a bit bland, no hard liquor served

Return to Hadley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Butterfly closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 163 times since Aug 2008.