First Review by halston

Great addition to the vegan scene! - Edit

I'm not gluten free but I still love this place. Cupcakes are a little dry if you ask me but the cinnamon buns are awesome. Also had a chocolate egg around Easter weekend that really hit the sweet tooth spot.

Pros: Really satisifies sweet tooth, Delicious

Yummy Selection of Vegan and Gluten-Free Sweets - Edit

After a long day in the city, I popped by Bunner's for a little pick-me-up, and I definitely was satisfied :) Their desserts are great, and you definitely can't tell that they are any different from a non-gluten-free vegan dessert. I ordered a little box of assorted sweets to try out and I was completely satisfied with taste and texture of all. I'd definitely go back!

Pros: Great Desserts, Friendly Staff

Cons: Small Store

Dessert Fest! - Edit

SO.MANY.OPTIONS

Bunner's is a bakery located in Kensington Market, Toronto. It's a take-out place, and they have some reallllly good offerings. The cinnamon buns are a must, and their donuts and cupcakes are pretty solid, too. If you have a sweet tooth then you need to check this place out!
(They also have bread and some savoury items, too!

Pros: Lots of variety, Good location

Best Vegan+Gluten Free Bakery! - Edit

Went here for the first time tonight and had an amazing Cookie Woopie Pie and Vanilla Cupcake- WOW!! It was the BEST desserts we have ever had! The service was super friendly! We also got their Vegan Mac and Cheese and it was amazing! I can't wait to come back here with everyone I know! Don't even hesitate about going here- it was perfect. Just go..

No ice cream here (other locations has it) - Edit

Despite coming for the ice cream, I left with a raspberry crumble bar. Could not tell it was GF or vegan. A bit sweet but not overly so. It was nice. The savoury pocket filled with tofu was also very good. I will have to scope out their Kensington location for the soft-serve ice cream, though.

Look before you buy, though. The butter tart and super cookies were burnt.

Pros: GF + vegan

best cupcakes ever! - Edit

A heat wave was hitting Toronto when we were visiting in July. Bunner's was sort of on our way to the Science Center, so we decided to pick up some dessert. There is no seating available in the store, which was okay by me, as there was no air conditioning in the store. We tried the red velvet, strawberry cream (summer special, I think), and chocolate. Those were the best cupcakes I have ever had! The cake itself was very moist. I'm usually not a fan of a lot of frosting, so I removed about 50% of it, and the rest went very well with the cake.

It's a good thing I don't live in Toronto. I'd be eating cupcakes every day and getting super fat!

Pros: excellent cupcakes, friendly staff

Cons: no airconditioning

Little Gem in the Junction - Edit

Toronto's FIRST vegan bakery! (Yeah it took us long enough! :P)
Gluten free and tasty as heck. Personally I go ape over the "creamies" - chocolate chip cookie with icing cream in the middle. There are always lots of cupcakes to choose from and they even have savory pastries too. Wish I lived closer!
The chickpea pockets are really great.
Prices are a little expensive.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 28, 2011

Yummy Cupcakes :) - Edit

I went for the first time today- I am not vegan or gluten free but I was really impressed! I had a sonic gypsy cookie, a doughnut and a cookies & cream cupcake... The cookie was good, not very sweet but had deep flavors of cocoa and coffee.. The doughnut was to die for, so good.. and the cupcake was soft and yummy.. Everything I had could certainly stand up and outshine their non vegan gluten free counter parts. They didn't have any coffee and have a very small shopfront, but recommended an indie place across the street which let me eat the goods there :)

Pros: friendly service, yummy food, cute & clean

Cons: tiny shop

Amazing Cupcakes and other Sweets - Edit

I've been to Bunners several times now. Great place. The cupcakes are amazing. The cakes are incredible and the cookies are tasty. Everything's strictly vegan.

Pros: fresh, made right at the store, great location

Cons: store is small, so popular they run out sometimes

Quite disappointing - Edit

Came here mid-afternoon and very little was left. We were looking for whoopie pies, which they were out of, but luckily they were still available across the street at an indie cafe. We got a frosted lemon cupcake, an oatmeal cookie and picked up a whoopie pie at the cafe.

My ladyfriend and I are what you could call 'heavy vegan cupcake users'. Their cupcake was not very good at all in our humble opinion. The frosting was bland and dense, and so was the cake portion.

The whoopie pie is a cookie sandwich composed of two large chocolate cookies and vanilla frosting filling. It's the trend in the city right now. Bunner's version was sickly sweet and very salty. Ugh. We both felt gross afterward (and we only ate half of it and saved the cupcake and cookie for much later). It's the only vegan version in the city, though, so fml.

The oatmeal cookie turned out to be the saving grace of the visit. It was chunky, flavourful and wholesome. I'd happily go back just for that.

I hope they improve their recipes, perhaps by studying other local vegan cupcakes. Until then, Burlington's KindFood has far superior cupcakes (available in Toronto solely at Panacea Grocery Store as of the writing of this review). Sweets From The Earth also do a fine Irish Coffee cupcake.

I wish them luck in any case.

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bunner's Bake Shop - Junction closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1137 times since Jan 2011.