Brown Rice Cafe

Contact 03-5778-5416

5-1-8 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 150-0001

Tokyo vegan food restaurant at 東京都渋谷区神宮前5-1-8. Part of Neal's Yard Remedies. Small selection of food and dessert without added sugar. Vegan except for honey in some drinks. Has English menu. Non-smoking. Directions: located in Harajuku, in proximity to the Harajuku JR station, 1/2 block from Omotesando subway exit onto Jingu-dori, a Coach shop is on the corner. Exit from Omote Sando station and go towards Harajuku station, walking on the left side of road, turn down the 1st alley on left, follow the signs from there. OR use the Ginza line, exit at Omote-Sando station, use exit A1, walk a few meters and turn immediately left into the small alley. Cafe is further down on the right. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-6:00pm. Last orders for food 5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Baza

Decent food, nice space - Edit

Brown Rice is about a 5 minute walk from Commune246. They serve lunch until (last orders for food) 5pm, and are open til 6, so I squeezed in an early dinner here. They are all vegan, and have three main plates plus a special. I chose the curry, which was full of beans and pulses, and pretty good (1,300 JPY). It came with brown rice, and a drink (I had hojicha). I also had a pumpkin soup with mochi for dessert (700 JPY). The food was filling and the space is nice, but nothing to rave about.

This review was originally posted at https://rhiaro.co.uk/2016/11/vegan-in-tokyo#brownrice

Pros: Good food, Nice space

Cons: Not cheap

Fresh and delicious! - Edit

Our guide took us here after our morning tour and it was great! Super fresh food and really relaxed vibe. Fairly traditional Japanese food, we had steamed vegetables, brown rice, miso soup and a few other condiments. Recommended!

Pros: Friendly staff , Fresh food

Cons: May be a bit tricky to find

Fancy and delicious. - Edit

This came across as a fancy, up market restaurant - typical small, gourmet looking serves for a big price. The atmosphere is gorgeous, the food beautifully presented and a wonderful way to present traditional Japanese food but with everything vegan. We loved that there were no 'meat' surprises hidden in our order and the flavours were subtle and lovely. Our fussy 10 year old didn't like much on the menu but the rest of us were game to try anything. We enjoyed the experience very much, and the flavours - but didn't love how expensive it was, especially when we had to call by the bakery after for snacks as we were still hungry! I would recommend this restaurant, but it is more for a special occasion or treat than a quick cheap meal.

Pros: Atmosphere, Watching the chef prepare your meal, traditional Japanese style cuisine

Cons: Price, it's pricey for the serving size you get.

Probably my favourite Tokyo place - Edit

I loved this place!!! My partner and I went for the set meal where you could choose the main dish and you get little side plates around it. Japanese style dining a la vegetarian awesomeness! Would go there again any day!

Beautiful food and great service - Edit

My favourite lunch spot in Tokyo! Gorgeous food with great attention to detail, fresh seasonal vegetables and good portion sizes. Meals are always delicious, healthy and beautifully plated at brown rice- I love taking non vegetarians here to introduce them to some of what vegan Japan has to offer :) The ambience in the restaurant is unmatched and the service is always impeccable. I recommend the katsu tofu, however eating here 7 times or so I've never been disappointed by what the menu has to offer. Highly recommended for a nice meal at a good price in a setting that feels like an escape from the bustle of Omotesando. Defiantly worth a visit (or several!).

Fancy! - Edit

This restaurant is probably only for special occasions, it's very fancy. The food is great, very healthy - lots of tofu no mock meat. Bit expensive, but what you'd expect from somewhere like this

Hidden gem in Ginza - Edit

This place is fantastic: courteous staff, pleasant ambiance, delicious food, great aesthetics. The lunch plate was amazing. They serve typical Japanese portions, but don't let that fool you. The lunch set left me comfortably full and very satisfied. As others have mentioned, I also liked the tofu the best. For those who have had the experience, this tofu is like tree ripened bananas. Tree ripened bananas are so heavenly good I literally ate nothing but bananas for a week the first time I went to Panama. Regular store bought bananas in the northern hemisphere are nothing to write home about. Good quality tofu in Japan is like tree ripened bananas in Central America. Brown Rice serves this kind of tofu. The price is reasonable considering its location in Tokyo. Even if you have to take a 30 minute train ride to get here, it is worth the endeavor.

directions - Edit

I wish I'd read enough of the reviews beforehand to read the ones with the directions, so in other words, I had a hard time finding the place based on only following the map on my phone. The cafe is part of "Neal's Yard", which might sound easy enough, except that the Neal's Yard complex stretches through to two adjacent streets! If you come to a place called "Neal's Yard Remedies" go through that shop and the restaurant will be in the back of it. If you happen to be on a street with a place called Crayon House, then you're very close!

Great atmosphere inside the restaurant, and delicious food to go along with it!

brown rice cafe - Edit

Brown rice cafe felt more upmarket than other cafes in line with suburb however still had a very casual atmosphere with friendly staff.
The meals were delicate and delicious with more of a fresh take on traditional Japanese

Could be confusing to find as there is another vegetarian restaurant across the road so take note that brown rice is down a alley/footpath

Pros: great selection of meals & drinks

Cons: a little pricier than other spots but worth it

I want to go back! - Edit

I'm so glad one of my Instagram followers recommended this place to me. It's in a posh and convenient area near Shibuya, and a nice stroll from Harajuku.
The restaurant is gorgeous. The staff is friendly and helpful (despite the language barrier), and the food is delicious.
This is one of the few restaurants I'd like to return to on this trip. I enjoyed the clean and well-balanced lunch set, which featured a miso soup, pickles, crave-worthy tofu, and steamed veggies. I left feeling nourished and energized.
Next time I'll order the curry. It looked so good!

Pros: Delicious and healthy food, Fair price, Beautiful restaurant and great location

Cons: Smallish portions (except for rice)

I LOVE this place! - Edit

Brown Rice Canteen is located within the Neal's Yard complex in Omote-Sando, and as you can imagine (if you know the Neal's Yard brand) it is a beautiful, stylish 'canteen'. The interior is very calm and Zen (!) like a really nice spa. And the food is delicious. I've been here for lunch and dinner, and have always had the set meal, which comes with miso soup, brown rice (naturally!), and pickles. They always start you off with a piece of tofu in a delicious sesame & ginger sauce, and I can honestly say it's the nicest tofu I've had. I've tried the breaded, fried tofu and also the steamed veggie basket for my main meal, so delicious and filling (the tofu is my favourite though). For lunch, I've had the set meal which comes with various types of prepared tofu, lovely. I've also had a couple of the desserts, the tofu cheesecake is amazing, and the black bean soy latte is a great, tasty alternative to coffee. What I really like about this place, apart from the lovely food, is that I feel I'm experiencing Japanese dining, which is great. I don't want to spend my time in Japan just eating veggie burgers and pizzas! The portions are healthy, I'm always full, and I don't think it's expensive at all (but maybe that has to do with the current £ to yen exchange rate?)

It's very easy to find, exit Omote-Sando subway station (Chiyoda or Ginza lines) at exit A1. The Coach store is on your left, there is a small side street between Coach & Hugo Boss. Turn left down this street, walk for about 3 minutes, you'll see Neal's Yard and Brown Rice on your right.

A quick word about the staff - they are some of the lovliest, helpful people I've encountered here in Tokyo, and that's saying something! One girl got chatting to me and pointed me in the direction of Natural Foods grocery store, just around the corner - organic,rather than veggie, but I was able to stock up on some good staples.

Pros: Great food, Lovely interior & atmosphere, Good value

Cons: None!

I'll be back! - Edit

Most reviews for restaurants in Japan start with "it was hard to find", so I took notes when leaving this place. The subway station to use is "Omote-sando station". From there: find the Apple store, Hugo Boss and Coach store. Go into the alley between Hugo Boss and Coach. The entry (marked by a big sign) to the Brown Rice Cafe will be at your right after about 50 metres.

The restaurants looks warm, welcoming, modern, clean and healthy. Even the staff looks so healthy and it just makes one want to eat here! The menu is available in (proper!) English and the staff is more than willing to help and recommend.

I ordered a set menu and everything was just wonderful! The quality of the ingredients is very good, the vegetables have been cooked just so, the salad has just the right amount of dressing and the portions are exactly the right size.

Of course high quality food like this doesn't come cheap, but the meal was absolutely worth the price (about 6,000 yen for two people including drinks and desert). I'll be back!

Pros: relaxing atmosphere, great food, English menu

Cons: hard to find

Fantastic! - Edit

we came here twice because it was so good...
--> Okinawa Tofu is our favourite dish.
--> lemon cheese cake
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 18, 2014

Pros: very tasty Okinawa Tofu and Cheese Cake, very friendly staff, nice location

Cons: low tables and chairs (if you are tall..

Excellent set menu and very tasty food - Edit

Loved my meal here! The set menu was fantastic value and had a varied but complementary range of items on it. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful explaining the food, suggesting items and also helping us find where we were going next. Definitely a place worth finding and dining at.

Pros: Tasty and interesting food, Very fresh, Friendly staff

Cons: Can be a little hard to find!

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brown Rice Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.