Brillobox

Contact 412-621-4900

4104 Penn Ave (at Main St), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Some vegan food such as seitan gyros, veggie burger, Israeli burger, and tofu skewers. Tue-Fri 5:00pm-2:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-2:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Mediterranean, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

Good menu options, at least 1 terrible bartender - Edit

Brillobox has a lot of vegetarian and vegan choices on the menu, and the vegetarian ones can generally be made vegan. When I was last there, they had a vegetarian/vegan special every Sunday evening. By that I mean it was a low-cost non-regular menu choice that was actually vegan, but came automatically with some cheese on the top for no reason unless you requested it be vegan.

That said, on the topic of requesting it be vegan, when I finally made it in to get this special, I asked the bartender if it was vegetarian or vegan and he said it could be made vegan. So I asked, "What do you do to make it vegan?" because I wanted to know if it was a significant enough change to make it more worthwhile to just order an already-vegan item off the menu. His answer? "You know, a lot of vegans come here." OK, rude awful hipster bartender. Please go eff yourself now. It really made me hate this bar, Pittsburgh, and planet Earth. The real answer was, "We sprinkle nutritional yeast on instead of dairy cheese," but I actually never got that straight answer out of him. It's one of these things that somehow still sticks with me. I mean, I moved to the San Francisco bay area and I never have to see the awful gray slush of the 'burgh again, but I still cringe to think of that horrible bartender and his jerk beard.

OK, maybe I'm overreacting. Point is, pretty nice vegan food for a bar.

Pros: a few nice menu options, food in a bar, nice there when it's empty

Cons: rude hipster bartender, cheese added for no reason, I think that guy just hated vegans

vegan pub food! - Edit

i really enjoy this bar. they have a great beer and cocktail selection, a lot of vegan options on their menu, and they play great music in a relaxed, down-to-earth atmosphere.
even if an item on the menu says vegetarian, ask your server if they can veganize it. i ordered a sandwich that had mayo, and my server told me that they could use vegan mayo instead which was great.
the ONLY thing that i will say that is a negative: the bar has a strong odor that is a mix between old beer and mustiness, even though they leave the large, floor-length windows open in nice weather and the place appears to be clean. weird!

Pros: great beer , lots of vegan options, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: musty scent

Brillobox - Edit

Brillobox can be described has a fancyish hipster bar - it was also a favorite of my bf when he lived in Pittsburgh. I really liked the atmosphere and decor, and was also quite surprised to see all of the vegetarian and vegan options on the bar food menu. I recommend the seitan gyros... If you're not hungry, just stop in for a drink, the atmosphere is laid back and fun.

Return to Pittsburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brillobox closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2311 times since Dec 2011.