First Review by babebibobu

On the hunt for the best vegan cupcakes in Vienna (Part 1) - Edit

One day I decided that I want to find the best vegan cupcakes in Vienna, considering that there are so may options too chose from and of course I want to share my experience with the community.
Based on the reviews on Happy Cow I decided to check out the Brass monkey cafe. You enter a small cafe, which seems a bit crowded. The cupcakes are presented in a display and clearly labeled. The only vegan cupcake they had when I visited ( around 2 o'clock) was the Sacher cupcake which was honestly disappointing. It was a bit dry and tasted like a slice of a beginners chocolate cake.
To sum it up, if you are looking for the best vegan cupcake in Vienna, you won't find it here. To be fair, it doesn't seem like vegan customers are their primary target anyways, so maybe the vegetarian cupcakes deserve the reputation.

Peanutbutter cupcake - Edit

Ok, there were only 2 vegan cupcakes to choose from: peanut butter or sacher. But I guess you don't need more when the peanut butter cupcake tastes like it does! This was a very good cupcake, perfect amount of frosting, perfect texture, just perfect :-) I also had a hot chocolate with soy milk and it was way better than you usually get. The coffee is really great here as well.

Pros: peanut butter cupcake, hot chocolate, very good coffee

Cons: only 2 vegan cupcakes

No vegan breakfast - Edit

On their Facebook page I saw a picture of vegan breakfast waffles and the date from which they were available. When I turned up, I was told that the waffles were only available from around 1pm in the afternoon. As I was ravenous, I had the only vegan food on offer, the sacher cake (there were lots of non-vegan cupcakes and croissants/pain au chocolat). It was really good...but it was not an amazing breakfast waffle.

best cupcakes in town - Edit

i love brass monkey!!
staff is super helpful and caring and doesn't get tired explaining the different kinds of cupcakes.
you have to try the peanut butter cupcake! but also the "sacher" muffin!
the coffee is also great there, it comes from a roasting house in greece and they know how to make good coffee (soy milk +20c, but it's still very reasonable pricing).
atmosphere is cozy, there is always free tap water and a lot of newspapers/magazines on the table!
sometimes (in the evening), they are already sold out on all vegan cupcakes, but i feel this is getting better lately.

Pros: delicious cupcakes, delicious coffee, inexpensive

Cons: toilet in the restaurant next door

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brass Monkey closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.