Bollywood Indian Vegetarian

Akacfa Utca 50, Budapest, Hungary, 1072

North Indian Punjabi style vegetarian buffet and fast food for take away, opened Oct 2012. In front of Fogas Haz Ruine Pub. A main dish costs around 1000+ HUF. Open Mon-Wed 12:00pm-11:00pm, Thu-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Fri-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by maraudermap

No, No! - Edit

We (Me and my boyfriend) arrived at the restaurant and it was no one there, the Sir were in the kitchen and he noticed that we entered and just stayed there, we had to wait 10 minutes to be served.
I ordered the sandwich and he had no bread.
The space is strange, dark.. we just go away without trying the food.

Cons: Strange place, Nothing special

Cheap, yummy, and quick. - Edit

When I first arrived in Budapest, it was late at night and I was famished. There was hardly anything open except for this little place. I walked a little under a mile to get here (luckily also towards Budapest's famous ruin bars).

The owner was the only person working. He was knowledgeable about veganism and pointed out exactly what was vegan on the menu. I ordered a cauliflower dish. When he brought out the food, it was a massive dish complete with a salad and the main course. It was delicious and simple. The food was also so severely cheap, I was appalled.

Pros: Cheap., Great location., Delish.

Small with plastic tables and metal trays - Edit

We went in Winter so wanted a nice cosy restaurant. We were disappointed to find this place looked more like a small takeout with a few plastic tables. Pictures of standard curries (though they did have paneer) served on those metal canteen plates. Didn't go in.
Most other Indian restaurants in Budapest would do the same options.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Small- food bar not restaurant, Plastic tables and metal plates

tasty - Edit

It is small and tucked away but we had pakora and then masala chilli tofu dish, quite tasty and reasonable price wise, will not win major awards but worth stepping inside to eat if passing by, staff speak English and were quite helpful

Pros: price, location, taste

Cons: small so could get noisy, toilet is in kitchen

Casual Indian Food in the City Centre - Edit

Small restaurant - maximum 10 seats - with an Indian owner - speaking good English - providing fast food-like, spicy food.
Main dishes are at around 4-5 EUR. Compared to standard European prices it is cheap.
We have eaten there twice with my girlfriend selecting different food each time. The owner is a very friendly person and showed us the dished on the menu that he can cook in vegan. Main dish consists of: rice, sabji, salad.

One advice: don't take the ones with spinach, the purée stuff is not that tasty. All the others were good.

Does not serve alcohol, however the lemonade and the tea we had were fine.

Don't expect anything fancy, snooty vegans keep away. For travelers, low budgeters, party goers it is a more than value price place.

I will probably return to try more food.

Pros: in the heart of the city, relatively large selection, value price

Cons: small, spinach is not that good :) Sorry

Disappointing - Edit

This place is not cheap, as previous reviews suggest. It may be cheap for foreigners, but not for locals. I spent 2700 forint for a lassi, with a starter of pakora, and with a "main course" of a little bit of rice with a little bit of lentils and a little bit of raw vegetables. For that price I can eat twice at any fastfood Chinese restaurant near my office, where I could get a starter of springrolls, a main course of noodles with fried veggies and tofu, and a dessert of fried banana or pineapple, for just half the money. Even at the Govindas which are also relatively expensive for locals, I could eat the same quantity as I ate here for about 30% less money.

I also absolutely don't think that it is good value. The "main dish" for 1500 forint was just a little bit of white rice, a little bit of lentils in sauce with 5 or 6 beans in it, and some pieces of raw vegetables. And all of it, except for the raw vegetables, had been heated in the microwave oven. The same portion with the same ingredients would cost me just 100 forint at my home.

I also disliked the lack of hygiene. My starters where pakora which were given without any fork and knife. If you let people eat with their hands, you shoud also offer them the possibility to wash their hands first. But this place hasn't got any bathroom for its guests. After I had eaten the pakora, I had to wipe off the grease from my hands with some paper, though it would have been better if I could have washed my hands.

Updated from previous review on Monday February 10, 2014

Updated from previous review on Monday February 10, 2014

Pros: Pictures of Bollywood stars., Indian music., Nice window.

Cons: Expensive for a fastfood., No value for money., Lack of hygiene.

bollywoodhu 05 Mar 2014 - Thanks urs comints realy sorry normal i give u every dishes with fork with papers. you know this is indian couisin we used only indian masala and basmati rice this is very expencive in Budapest market but if we give a indian food we can use orignal masala and basmati rice please dont very come agin we can give u good service.

Very good home-made Indian food - Edit

If you're looking for good-quality Indian food in central Budapest, Bollywood will be a positive surprise. The place is run by a friendly Indian gentleman who prepares your food only when you order it, so it is really fresh.

Pros: Fresh and tasty food, Great quality for money

Cons: Interior is rather lacklustre

bollywoodhu 05 Mar 2014 - Thanks urs respond i am happy to hear from you please next time bring urs more friends i give u more comfortable service

Solid Indian Food - Edit

Solid Indian Food! Nothing too fancy! Good spicey (if wanted) food! 10 different dishes (pretty much the same cause of the sides though). Small and no buffet (someone reviewed this)!!

Pros: Fast, Cheap

Cons: selection

Very good indian food - Edit

I have been in the small restaurant only once. The owner, who also cooked and served that evening was very friendly. The food was very good and freshly made. You get your meal on a plastic tray which is not very fancy but serves the purpose.

Pros: good food, good value, friendly staff

Great value for money - Edit

It's a small restaurant that offers you a choice of veggie/vegan indian food. The owner is very friendly and makes your food as you want it. Samosa's were really great, the curry was good and all for a cheap prive. worth a visit.

Pros: friendly owner, prepares food as you want it

Cheap and tasty - Edit

I had spinach paneer with rice and salad, plus a lassi to drink. Owner speaks English and German as well as Hungarian, and checks your tastes before he cooks the food, in my case, how hot I wanted my curry, did I want my lassi sweet/salty/how salty?

Pros: value for money, dishes are prepared to order, best lassi ever!

Great Indian food! - Edit

My friend and I were in Budapest 6 days and we went to this Indian place twice during our trip. The owner is really kind and makes food after request. I really recommend the Samosa or Pakora as a starter if you are really hungry, it is super delicious and it can be made vegan.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, inexpencive

Tasty Indian food - Edit

A nice small restaurant with great Indian food. We had two main dishes, pakora and samosa for take away. The prices are low and it tasted all good.

Pros: Cheap, Good Indian food

The Best vegan restaurant I ate in - Edit

Bollywood Indian restaurant is definitely the best vegan restaurant I ate in in the last few years. All the food is home-made. fresh & made with the specific requests of the clients, for example, I prefer not to eat too much spicy food. The environment is nice & authentic with Indian songs & you really feel as if you were in India for a while. I would definitely come & visit again in this great restaurant. All the portions are very generous & you feel great& not heavy after eating the food. I highly recommend this restaurant. I ate there every day in my vacation in Budapest & enjoyed every moment of it.

Pros: Deliscous food, Good envirorment, cheap prices & generous portions

Cons: I can't find any cons, there's no cons..

My Favorite in Budapest - Edit

I ate here two of the four nights I was in Budapest. The owner was very friendly to the customers. He was sure to ask how spicy I liked my food and even veganized the mango tea for me. It was delicious and just what I needed after being drenched by the rain. This was certainly the best meal I had for the price while in Budapest and I would recommend it to anyone in the area!

Pros: good value, friendly owner

Cons: cash only

cheap and tasty - Edit

Very friendly staff, vegan friendly and cheap menu. Decoration and atmosfere reminds indian restaurant for backpackers in Goa ;)

Pros: cheap, tasty, friendly staff

Cons: only cash

very good - Edit

Ottimo ristorante/fast food indiano-vegetariano-vegano. Il ptoprietario é gentilissimo e simpatico, servizio cordiale e prezzi CONTENUTISSIMO. Per un piatto con riso,insalata e porzione principale abbiamo speso circa 3euro a testa!!!

Yummy, cheap, friendly, wonderful plate layout - Edit

990 HUF for chickpea and potato curry, basmati rice, salad with yogurt sauce. And a generous portion too. Delicious masala chai.

Also, 990 huf for spinach paneer, etc. About 12 dishes. I forgot if beer was available.

Amazingly tasty! Finally I found affordable and yummy chickpea curry!

Owner speaks fluent English, Hindi and Hungarian.

Two tables available.

Note - opening hours
Mon, tues, wed 12:00-23:00
Thu, fri, sat 12:00-24:00
Sun 12:00-22:00

Number - 06-70-541-3812

Pros: Well cooked/spiced, Great value, Friendly owner/cook

Cons: No vibe

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bollywood Indian Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.