Bioforma Restaurant

Contact 00351291229262

Rua da Queimada de Cima, 31, Funchal, Portugal,

Part of a large organic chain in Madeira. Inside is an all-veg restaurant. Stocks a wide range of organic packaged food plus vitamins and cosmetics.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Salad bar, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by vegantonio

The best option to eat vegetarian/vegan in Madeira Island - Edit

This is the second completely vegetarian restaurant that you'll find in Madeira Island. Serves in a buffet method vegetarian dishes with vegan options.
The menu is elaborated according to each day of the week - usually it has veggie lasagne, bean/quinoa burgers, tempeh and fresh apple juice with spiruline. Sometimes, it has vegan desserts like apple pie but you'll have to ask if it contains eggs and dairy.
The price is fair (Main dish + Juice + Dessert = about 10€) for the amount/quality of food, specially knowing that is the only restaurant in the island with a certain variety of vegetarian options, excluding soups and simple salads...

Pros: Completely vegetarian restaurant, Good price, Nice diversity/quality of food

Cons: Place too small

Food ok but a bit depressing - Edit

Simple but tasty food. Three vegetarian main dishes (2 are vegan) with raw vegetables for 5,50 euros, 6,50 with a drink. Offers also sandwiches and cakes. It's a quite cheap and nice option in Funchal. But it's a bit depressing downstairs, with no windows, almost no decoration and white blinding lights.

Pros: good portions, price, healthy

Cons: not a warm place

Nice Little place for lunch - Edit

Nice cheap Little place in Funchal centre. Easy to find. 3 mains options served with salad. Small portion 5 euros large portion 6 euros. Extras and deserts ranging from €1.20 to 2 euros great place to stop for lunch.

Pros: Great value, All veggie, Friendly

Cons: Small

Le seul restaurant végétarien de l'ile ! - Edit

Nous avons testé ce restaurant, seul végétarien de l'ile. Prix un peu cher, c'est plus une cantine qu'un restaurant. on vous sert le plat du jour dans une petite assiette (spaghettis légumes + steack soja + salade).

At last a real vegan lunch on Madeira! - Edit

For a vegan Madeira is quite though to eat out, especially when you are not located in Funchal, but on our visit to Funchal we visited this restaurant in the cellar of the Bioforma shop. There was not much to choose from and they barely spoke English but they had one hot meal with rice or bulgur with salad for us. My children had some vegetarian options because they are not vegan. I loved my vegan meal, I have made a picture of it in the display and on my plate so people who speak Portuguese can read what it was  The people where very friendly and helpful, I was glad one of them understood no egg and no milk/cheese.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 16, 2015

Pros: vegan option, friendly , clean

Cons: only one vegan option

Vegetarian - yes... But not too vegan :( - Edit

I was in Madeira for my honeymoon and I had just decided to eat vegan. So I was very pleased to find out there was actually ONE vegetarian restaurant (in all of Madeira...). Unfortunately, I don't think the personnel was very kind or helpful, and they didn't speak much English. I had to explain that I only wanted to eat vegan food, which they seemed to find odd.

For the main course, I could have couscous with grilled vegetables. They also put some salad on the plate, which turned out to be a bad choice because it was very boring and without any sauce/dressing. However, the vegetables were very nice.
Then as desert I had tofu cream pie, which was amazing - the tofu was so soft and creamy, you could have fooled anyone to believe it wasn't vegan at all. But it definitely was!

We went here around lunchtime, and you won't believe how many people there were. There weren't many tables, most people had to sit on bar-chairs to eat.

So the restaurant could definitely use some improvement, but I would definitely recommend it for the food, because it's a relief to eat there after visiting all those restaurants that only sell meat or fish...

Pros: Great pastry, Vegan choices available, Affordable

Cons: Unfriendly personnel, Very busy around lunchtime, Few vegan choices

Shut on Saturday! - Edit

Shut on Saturday 14th December. Gutted! We had walked around ages to find it too. :-(. Ended up going back to our cruise ship to eat.
Another time maybe as Madeira was a beautiful island.

Good little cafe - Edit

Went here twice whilst on holiday in October My Portuguese isn't good but I got the message across about dairy free food. Very tasty food, at reasonable prices. Also has a health food area in which I found some items difficult to get hold of in Cornwall. I've filled in the 'cons' but they are statements rather than criticisms. Although opening later would be good for a coffee/tea and cake later in the afternoon. Recommended.

Pros: Good value, tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: no outlook, quite small, closes at 3pm

Bioforma Restaurant - Edit

The restaurant is conveniently located at the heart of Funchal. Itbis situated beneath the shop.
The staff are always friendly and welcoming.
The menu changes daily with a variety of dishes to choose from. Fresh juices, savoury snacks were also good. The soup, main courses and deserts varied and I was kept interested in wanting to try them on different occasions.
I look forward to visiting Bioforma restaurant again.

good small vegetarian lunch restaurant - Edit

While vegetarians can always find a place, Madeira is not easy for vegans. This small restaurant saved us at lunch time. It has always a vegan otion (and dessert)and the staff was very friendly and flexible. Caterina ("Kathy") the manager will help you and support if you need anything. Happy to have found it ...

Pros: vegan option, good value, friendly staff

Return to Funchal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bioforma Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4175 times since Dec 2012.