Bio Cafe

03-5428-3322

Udagawacho 16-14, Patio 1F, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan

Serves meat, vegan options available. French bakery with a cafe in the back that offers mostly organic food with a number of vegetarian and vegan choices. Lunch menu served until 3pm, cafe menu until 6pm, dinner menu until closing. Organic coffee and tea, fresh juices. Relaxed atmosphere, has English menu. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Japanese, Organic, Bakery, French, Non-veg

First Review by tyrannosaurusveg

Nice vegan cakes - Edit

We stopped off here on a rainy afternoon for a cake and a coffee.

It's not super cheap (¥1000 for a cake and a coffee) but the prices are in line with what you'd expect in Tokyo. They have an English menu and the staff speak a little English too.

Having said that, the cakes are excellent. We tried the banana cake and chocolate ginger cake, and I'd recommend either.

Pros: Excellent cakes

Cons: Not the cheapest

Tasty food but small portion - Edit

I had the vegan curry, it was really tasty but the portion was too small. Otherwise the place is also nice.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice vibe, friendly staff

Cons: small portions

nice place for a small lunch - Edit

For lunch you choose a main dish then get access to a mini salad bar, soup and bread. Unfortunately the soup was chicken based and the salad bar needed to be refilled quite regularly though they only refilled it once. The food was delicious, though quite small. I have to say the service was brilliant, the lovely staff didn't speak much English but went out of their way to make sure we knew what was vego and what wasn't.

Pros: lovely staff, quiet and relaxed

Cons: meals not big enough, salad bar needed refilling

lots of vegan cake choices - Edit

Came here for an afternoon break on a warm October day. I was shown my seat and given an English menu. There's a nice selection of cakes. The person recommended the cheesecake. It was served with soy cream. It was ok but a bit dry. The soy cafe au lait I got was ok. The juices weren't available at the time, I would have preferred them on a hot day. Although all the hot drinks could be ordered cold too. I would probably try the soy choc cake with ginger next time and a chai.

1000¥ Gourmet Lunch Sets. Until 5pm - Edit

Top quality modern Japanese vegan food.

I work nearby and eat at this restaurant at least once a week. The staff will know right away if you ask what is/isn't vegan, so you don't have to worry.
There is a range of lunch sets, 1000~1400¥.
The weekly lunch set changes every week, and sometimes isn't vegan, but there are other permanent sets that are always vegan.

For your first time, I recommend the 1000 yen soup set. This soup is not your average soup! It's a thick, hearty soy cream base topped with various vegetables, and is a lot more filling than one would expect from a soup. This dish's use of soy cream embodies one of the greater achievements in modern Japan's unique macrobiotic aesthetic. It's definitely my go-to when the weekly lunch set isn't vegan. I would also like to mention that the genmai rice option is better suited to this dish than the bread.

The set also comes with your choice of a fancy drink. I recommend the Rikopin drink, which is a fresh tomato and vinegar blend on ice. It's very hard to describe, and something I've never encountered before. Normally I don't even like tomatoes or vinegar, but I was blown away by the combination. It's a little sour, a little sweet, and very refreshing. I order it every time I go now.

Do not miss out this restaurant!

Although I hear dinner is expensive, but who cares because lunch is until 5pm.

Pros: Lunch until 5pm, Authentic modern Japanese vegan food, Fancy

Cons: Weekly set sometimes not vegan

Relaxed Lunch - Edit

I was in Shibuya the other day and used Happy Cow to find somewhere to have lunch - decided to try Bio Cafe based on the reviews here! I used to occasionally stop in to buy bagels when I lived in the area but hadn't realised the cafe part offered vegetarian food too.

The Japanese menu doesn't state whether or not items are vegetarian/vegan (I wasn't offered English so can't comment on that) but the staff assured me that the two non-meat dishes on the lunch menu were animal product free. I decided to go for the Cesar Salad which was served with some bread and came with a choice of coffee, tea or several herbal teas for 1400 yen. It has quite a lot of volume and the dressing was delicious but it would have been nice to have had a bit more of the avocado and croutons etc that were mentioned in the menu description! The herbal tea I chose was also very nice and I appreciated that it could be made into ice tea which often isn't offered.

When I went in the cafe had just opened so it was nice and quiet and service was prompt and friendly. I will definitely go back for lunch if I'm back in the area!

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Large selection of herbal teas

Cons: Menu not clear on what is veg/an, Slightly expensive for a regular lunch

Amazing lunch, appalling dinner - Edit

At daytime, the place is lovely. Very cozy, spacious, relaxed atmosphere. There are dishes with meat, fish and eggs, but about 1/3 of the dishes and a half of desserts are vegan. Unfortunately, vegan or vegetarian dishes are not marked, so you have to ask the waiter/waitress.

Unfortunately, the staff speak very little English. I visited the place three times and it was never easy to communicate.

There was a lunch menu (all dishes come with a free drink) and from 3pm (if I am not mistaken) you can also have 'tea menu'. A small salad, a cake of your choice and a drink only cost 990yen, a good value for money, too.

In the evening they have a dinner menu. They have a number of sets (appetizer, soup, main, dessert), but only one of them is vegan (2500yen) and it does not include any drinks. They also have two other vegan dishes. I did not want the set, so I ordered a dish with rice, as the description sounded nice. But it turned out to be a small scoop of spicy rice with shredded cabbage on top (1400yen) - very very boring and overpriced.
I also had a cup of coffee (600yen) and a chocolate cake (620yen), these were very good. In the end I also had to pay for the oil and bread that were served without me requesting it. I paid 2800yen for all - one meal, one cake, one coffee, and what seemed to be complimentary bread. Never again. There are much much better vegan dinner options in Tokyo.

Pros: Relaxing atmosphere (at lunchtime only)), Lots of vegan choices at lunchtime

Cons: Small portions, vegan dishes not marke, Very expensive dinner options, Strange service during dinner time

really glad we gave this a try - Edit

Was put off initially that it is only veg friendly but really glad we gave this cafe a try, right in the heart of shibuya. The menu is in english and clear on what is vegan and what isn't. we ate here for lunch a couple of times and really pleased with the food and service.

will come back! - Edit

Came around the noon of weekday, and was surprised to see it half empty, as spaces around central Shibuya are usually cramped with people.
Space was cozy, furnished with small wooden tables, decorated with few plants, not much of natural light, but not entirely cut out from it.
The man who served us looked like someone who is important person there, and was a bit persistent with his English introduction to menu, so i had to pretend understanding what he says and sorted out the details from the menu myself.
The rest was real pleasure.
A good amount of soft and mild tea for a start with dried berries adding light flavor.
The food - my friend ordered a set lunch (grinned beetroot soup and shiitake in green leaves sauce with flat brown rice onigiri wrapped as a baby in white paper). My choice was a small salad with apple dressing, citrus scented bread piece, and gratin with soft avocado, tempeh and fu in creamy soy milk base.
I felt pretty filled after such meal and refrained from their pastries displayed at the entrance, but will definitely come back some time for that apple wrap which, as stated on the label, is also vegan.

Pros: teas, food making you wander, location

Cons: better don't ask the guy any questions

Lovely food, friendly staff - Edit

Great cafe/french bakery. They do serve meat but they have a decent number of vegetarian dishes to choose from with set menus that change every few days.
The staff were very friendly and brought us an English menu.

The food was delicious and they served the best bread and coffee that we had during our whole stay in Japan.

All in all a good option for vegos in a city that doesn't do much vego. Very tasty.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 18, 2013

Pros: Lovely food, Friendly staff, English menu available

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bio Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.