CLOSED: Bindi

Contact 0131-6621807

44-45 St. Patrick's Square, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 9HT

Edinburgh's first fully licensed Gujarati/East African fusion restaurant and cookery school, opened in Oct 2013 by the current owner and chef, Bindiya, who took over the former location of Annapurna restaurant. Its menu features a selection of street food and small plates. Vegans to specify and staff will assist you with choices. SHUT DOWN OCT 5, 2014 PER HC MEMBER.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by christopherjboyce

Very Poor Set Menu - Edit

We got the set menu. Paid £20 for poor service (took an hour and a half to get mains) and mediocre food. The mains consisted of a small bowls of food. One was fried onion/cabbage. One had a single peice of cold pakora inside it. One was a bowl of sweet corn and kidney beans that was utterly bland and frankly a lazy attempt of giving authentic and tasty indian cuisine. There was also a bowl of soup that was the tastiest thing they provided. I advise to keep away from this place. Especially if its a set menu and around the fringe because to me they are exploiting their guests with high prices and cheap grub. Not a good experience.

Pros: Nice starters

Cons: bad service, bland food

Wow - Edit

As a man who loves indian food, I have to say I was delighted with Bindi and a new slant on a loved format.
A lage selection of street food/snacks I came across some new things and luckily Bindiya was on hand to show me how to eat them, and appreciate some new flavours. As well as the street food, a good value thali is available, and this with one other item is more than enough food.
Bursting with fresh ingredients, Bindiya allowed me a viewing of the kitchen area and where her cooking classes will take place. The menu is egg free, and she insisted she can cater widely for both vegans and gluten free dishes.
Her cooking classes should start in January and I look forward to taking part in one.

I was back again last week, so close to giving Bindi 5*. i think it might be my thoughts rather than Bindi. We shared the Bombay chowpatty taster, flying saucer sandwich(i mean, what a great name for a dish) and the garlic mogo. everything was grea.
Third visit and my thali was different for the third time, shared some other dishes and loving. There was some heat in the dishes, and an oomph of coriander. Had to upgrade my review, great food, great service.

Having just had lunch I can't believe its getting better. The menu has been updated and vegan and gf are very visible now.

Pros: fresh and tasty, good value, great service.

A fantastic night out! Highly recommended :) - Edit

I came here tonight for dinner with the Edinburgh Vegan/Vegetarian Meetup, and it was just wonderful! The food was excellent quality and the owner couldn't have been more helpful with explaining the vegan options. We had some vegan taster plates as well as thali, which was delicious and extremely good value. I'll definitely be coming back for more!

Pros: Helpful and friendly, Lots of vegan options, Very tasty and good value

Wonderful restaurant - Edit

Had an amazing experience here. The food was absolutely delicious, the rose-flavoured ice cream in particular, and the staff were incredibly friendly. The owner herself came and spoke to us and patiently explained the menu options and what each dish was. Very good value for money too: three courses and a drink each for two people at less than £30 was extremely reasonable and well worth every penny in my opinion.

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Value for money

Above and beyond expectations - Edit

Well, we loved the old Ann Purna that used to occupy this spot when it was run by an older couple up until several years ago. It's a pleasure to find that this new venture lives up to those high standards, although in a different format. Gone sadly are the aubergine curry and the beautiful kulfi but in their place comes consistently high quality, imaginative street food, tasters and a current bargain thali, proper chai and dessert tasters. All with a great mix of Indian and East African style south asian food with some familiar and some not so familiar choices. Delightful, super friendly staff and an owner concerned with high standards and people enjoying their food; it will ensure that this is one restaurant that we'll never need an excuse to visit! Great to have both this and Kalpna in close proximity. Long may they continue.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Last but not least, lovely genuine staff

Cons: Cool draft at times, Incense can be pretty strong!

Good food, good value...will go back - Edit

Bindi is a new restaurant and I had walked past it several times. Eventually I waste tempted in to try their thali which not only costs just £5 (may be a limited offer as the restaurant has just opened), but also comes with two refills. So I took two friends who were visiting me after a long day hiking in the hills. We all had thalis but I was very tempted by much of the other food. However the thalis were delightful and all three of us came out satisfied. I also found the staff very friendly and helpful. I'm very keen to go back and try some of the other things on the menu and will update this review once I have, but the thali certainly gets a triple tick for now.

Pros: Tasty thali, Refills on the thali are possible, Nice comfortable restaurant

Cons: I am going to have to come back

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bindi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3939 times since Nov 2013.