First Review by lauriesny

Corners the market - Edit

I have lived in several different states and have shopped in several different health food stores. I like the selection of products found in this store but compared to other stores. I have been to this store has some of the highest prices I've seen. Products I was used to buying before I moved I would find $3-$5 higher than where I used to live. I used to live in Tampa which is a much bigger and much more expensive city to live in. I would expect higher prices there and not in Lansing. I think people in Lansing are used to paying these high prices and must not know better. All of the health food stores in the area have over inflated prices but Better Health Food has the better of the group. They get away with this because they corner the market and leave consumers with no other price. These stores kept Whole Foods from opening a store in LAnsing because they knew they'd go out of business because they could not compete with their prices. I only shopped here when I needed a product that I could not find any where else. If I was not in Ann Arbor I would have no choice but to shop at this store. Most of my health food shopping I did at Meijers and Kroger.
The employees at this location are much more friendly than the location in Delta Township. The people in Delta Township were snotty and usually had an attitude. I avoided any interaction with them if I visited the other location because I found their attitudes intolerable. I would drive to the Frandor location most of the time even though the Delta Township was closer to my home.

Pros: Selection, Location

Cons: PRICE

The Cafe Is Exceptional - Edit

Great food and fair prices. The staff are incredibly friendly and provide a lot of support around dietary considerations. They make vegan and gluten free cakes and cookies. They also have a catering menu and have helped out in a pinch with some vegan sweet treats for my parties. The salad bar is fresh and delicious, and I really appreciate a place that serves fresh wheatgrass right here in Lansing! Since Magdalena's has closed down, I've been getting more raw juices at the cafe and really enjoy the variety they offer.

Pros: location, friendly staff, fair prices

Cons: no wi-fi in the cafe, expensive produce

B.A.L.T is so good! - Edit

I've gone to the cafe here a few times and have always been pleased. My favorite is the tempeh "bacon", avacado, lettuce, and tomato on whole wheat with vegenaise. Half of a sandwich fills me up!

Pros: great food, several options, quick service

Cons: A little pricey, can be busy at lunch time

Fresh Salad Bar - Edit

I enjoy eating at the deli as there is always an ample salad bar complete with nuts, dried fruit, different types of greens and fresh salad dressings. I enjoy getting the vegan cookies or muffins as well. The store is packed and has wide aisles. There is also organic produce.

Pros: wide aisles, bright, lots of variety

Cons: expensive prices

Return to Lansing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Better Health closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1206 times since Aug 2007.