First Review by robguz

Ridiculously good. - Edit

The desserts are so amazing that you will question if they’re vegan.
I’ve yet to try anything that wasn’t the best of its kind, BUT the chocolate haupia.... wow... it’s beyond other vegan desserts.

Superb vegan baked goods! - Edit

Fresh and tasty vegan baked goods. Pleasant and helpful staff. The apple marzipan tart just might be my favorite baked good ever!

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Completely veg, Local ingredients

Cons: Only one night a week

It's all vegan! - Edit

I've been trying their baked goods since they started at Uncle Robert's a year ago. First of all, it's actually all vegan, not even honey in anything. There are usually some gluten-free, raw, and low-sugar options but I say give me the gluten, fat, and sugar please!

Oatmeal cream pies, cinnamon rolls, and his fruit-based cakes are all my favorites. I'm not a big chocolate fan, but his double chocolate orange cookies I love.

Virtually everything is as good as or better than vegan desserts I've tried all over the world, including in some famous vegan places in NY and San Francisco. Vegan baked goods have (unfortunately an often deserved) bad reputation for being dry, not sweet, and not like non-vegan desserts in taste and texture. As a vegan since 1990 even I am skeptical when I see vegan baked goods because they usually disappoint because someone tried to make them healthy or be gluten-free. I don't think anyone who tries any of these would have any clue they're vegan.

The only downside is that this stand is only at this one market, but this market is something that anyone visiting this area of Hawaii on Wednesday should go out of their way to do anyway. Apparently they'll also do custom orders locally.

Pros: Delicious sweets that would fool a non-vegan, Big servings, lots of options, Local fruit used in some of the treats

Cons: Only 1 evening per week, Some things are sold out if you get there late.

Return to Pahoa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bananarama Bakery - Market Stand closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.