First Review by veganchow

Cosy, elegant restaurant - Edit

We went there on our second night in Rome, the restaurant is not in a very busy part of the city but still easy to reach. I loved the interior and the cosy atmosphere (books and bottles), both waiters were very polite, the food was not as original as in other place but still of excellent quality, I would have wished more for vegans (many dishes contained cheese) but the choice was still pretty good. We had a very good bottle of wine and spent all in all a very pleasant evening.

Pros: Food of very high quality, Beautiful interior

Cons: Not very central, More for vegetarians than for vegans (cheese)

Just fine - Edit

We arrived at 7:15 and although the door was open and the sign said open they told us that they wouldn't open for 15 minutes, so we waited.

Most of the vegan items are vegetarian and you have to remove something to make it vegan - for example we wanted the "pumpkin cream covering fried vegetable balls" and had to remove the balls which weren't vegan. The food was just ok - nothing stood out.

Our server was nice, the bread was good, nice atmosphere. Cool collection of wines and books to look at. I'd probably only return of I was already in the area. Prices were reasonable.

Pros: vegan options, cool decor

Cons: not many options designed to be vegan

Very satisfying - Edit

We were very pleasantly surprised when we went here the second time, it was very tasty and cosy. Upon request we got a completely vegan New Years menu that was very tasty! However, make sure you sit in the second room more in the back because this makes a world of difference to the atmosphere!

food ok, wine fine, expensive - Edit

I was surprised about the prices in the menu (rather high) but still give it a chance. So for the food there was nothing really to complain but it was not outstanding specially in comparison with the price. Wine was great. If you don't mind the bill go and try it.

Good food, huge wine selection and nice service - Edit

This is a small restaurant with a big wine selection. The vegetarian food was prepared nicely and was of good quality. The dessert selection for vegans was very small. The waiter was helpful and polite. Because of its location and quality of food, we visited it several times.

Pros: food, service, wine

Cons: vegan sweet election

One of our favorites - Edit

We very much enjoyed our meal here. They had a number of items that could be prepared gluten free. We enjoyed the roasted potatoes with ginepro, taleggio and black truffle. They were able to substitute a gluten free pasta for the pasta with ewe cheese and black truffle. The courgette flowers stuffed with potatoes and pesto and rolled in crisp rice noodles were memorable and unique. The semifreddos were amazing. I had the carameled fig with vin brule sauce and my husband had the zabaglione parfait with caramel sauce and pine nuts. Wonderful! At the start of the meal, they asked red or white and then paired a wine with the meal. It went very well with our selections.

Pros: Gluten Free Friendly, Gourmet food, Great dessert

Cons: A little slow

Italian French Vibe - Edit

The food was very good. We found the restaurant around 8:00 and we're able to get a table without reservations as it was before the Italian dinner rush which is closer to 9:00. The waitress was extremely helpful and attentive to our needs. She spoke a little English and gave us the menu with the specially marked vegan/vegan modifiable dishes (about 7 or 8 dishes all together).This is a wino place (which I can be intimidated by as my husband or I are no wine experts), but I asked to a glass of red wine and the waitress brought us three different reds to try just for a glass (aka we did not have to buy the bottle).

For dinner starters are about 7€ and 1st and 2nd courses are 10-12€., which seems pretty standard. There is only one chef and one waitress and once the room filled up (which we were happy to see it did) the service understandably slowed but we were happy to watch the locals and make friends with fellow vegetarian tourists sitting at a nearby table. An enjoyable experience with very good cuisine and wine.

Pros: Good cuisine, Helpful service, Mixture of locals and tourists

Cons: Service slowed when the room filled up

Very few choices - Edit

The waiter was very nice in explaining us the vegan choices in the menu, which were very few. For a restaurant that advertises itself as vegetarian/vegan, the vegan part was not a priority. The food was good, though and the service too. The restaurant is super cute and the wine selection very wide.

Pros: Service, Tasty, Ambiance

Cons: Few choices

Good but not the best - Edit

Arancia Blu is nice restaurant located near to Piazza del Popolo but I couldn't find it at the first time.
There was charming waiter who made everything to make me feel good in his restaurant.
Food was tasty but oversalted.

Pros: good location, good atmosphere, nice waiter

Cons: oversalted food

Good food - Edit

It's an interesting restaurant. It surprised me that there was not air-conditioning. But the food is OK. The vegan pasta with red sauce is really excellent. The red sauce should be the best vegan one I have ever tasted. The chef also kindly tried to replace the milk in white sauce with soy milk for the vegetable pie. But that sauce tasted salty...
The chef should be one of the top vegetarian cookers in Rome. I hope that more vegan cuisines will be provided.

Pros: Good vegan food, nice atmosphere

Cons: no air-conditioning

Can't afford it - Edit

The food is good, more "vegetarian friendly - italian style", than typical vegetarian. The place looks like a gauche caviar french bistro and it's expensive (80 € for two people and i swear we didn't eat the whole restaurant :D ), at least for italian lower/middle class pockets.
If you can afford it, enjoy!

Very good restaurant - Edit

I had dinner at Arancia Blu last week and it was amazing. The place is big but quiet, and it is nice to eat surrounded by books and bottles of wine! :--)
Every dish is unique, and you can get a lot of ideas on how to cook new types of vegan/vegetarian food from the menu. There is also a wide choice of wines, teas and coffees.
You can also get pizzas, but not every day.
I also like the fact that there are a lot of informations (history, properties...) on oil, wine, and other ingredients.

I recommend it for sure!

PS: we were two, we spent 38 euros in total with a starter, two main dishes, tea and coffee.

Pros: wide choice, unique and good food, friendly staff

Excellent food, a little far from the city centre - Edit

It takes a tram ride to reach l'Arancia Blue from the city centre, but this is well worth the trip. The restaurant is lovely, offers indoors and outdoors sitting. The menu has a lot of vegan options, unfortunately these are not clearly marked and we relied on the help and patience of the waitress who pointed everything to us. Food portions are very generous and the wine list is extensive as the restaurant is also a wine bar. Advance reservation for late dinner is recommended as the restaurant tends to fill up around 9pm.

Pros: Food, Wine list, Staff friendliness

Cons: Distance from downtown

New Location! Fantastic!!! English Menu - Edit

Absolutely loved Arancia Blu. They have about 4 or 5 vegan menu items that are out of this world. The place is WINE oriented so the best bet is to go with a local Lazio wine which will run 15 Euros (least expensive). Its a ways out of town and you can take the Tram there or Bus, cab rides get expensive. You'll be asking yourself why did I travel all this way, but once you get there and settle down you'll realize its well worth the trip. The Potato Pasta / Ravioli / Rice noodle wrapped flowers, etc were all amazing! The ambience is incredible and service impeccable!

Pros: vegan friendly, english menu, upscale

Cons: far from city center, $30Euro/person avg

bad review - Edit

i havent been yet to the new location... but my review about this restaurant (old location in san lorenzo) is very very bad. price too high, service not excellent, food not always fresh and portions too small.

!BE CAREFUL, NEW ADDRESS! - Edit

J went in this restaurant a lot of time before they changed place where they are. Now j don't know how nice is new place! Because J'm Italian and J love wines too, j think that is a very good place to have a nice and a not too much exspensive vegetarian dinner. Good taste and smell about the food, but , j think, not fancy way to show every dish. However everytime j had good meals. They had also a very very interesting wine cellar, that's because j think you have to try this place.
But above all my review is to allert you that they have already changed their rooms, so they aren't yet at Via dei Latini, they chenged their address, and now they are at VIA PRENESTINA 396, Rome as well.
So be careful if you are looking for them.
Veggie Kisses.

Pros: interesting wine cellar, healthy taste, not too much exspensive

Cons: not fancy, maybe alittle bit far from the Centre

Fancy place better for vegetarians - Edit

We came here for our pre-marathon carbo loading meal. Probably not the best choice, it's fancy and the portions are on the small side. It's also a wine bar, but we resisted from indulging. Our server understood vegan and spoke very good English, so was able to tweak some menu items for us. The food itself was ok, but not fantastic. Lots of black truffles! Lots of use of cheese and dairy in the menu, this place would probably be good for lacto-ovos. We got lucky by checking back for a reservation cancellation, it fills up quick so a res is highly recommended!

Pros: Helpful staff, Black Truffles!

Cons: Not very vegan friendly, Kinda pricey

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Arancia Blu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8800 times since Aug 2007.