Amrita Garden

• Vegetarian
Contact 66-860539342

2/1 Soi 5, Samlan Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200

Lunch room, coffee place, and retail space in an old Thai wooden house. Offers a daily macrobiotic lunch which includes organic brown rice, veggie plate, detox soup, papaya leaf tea. Most of the food is vegan, but some desserts contain dairy and/or honey. Has gluten free including muffin and pasta.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out

First Review by philina

Fresh and tasty food - Edit

We were pleasantly surprised how fresh the ingredients tastes! It's a mix between western and Thai food, definitely would recommend it.

Pros: all vegan, fresh ingredients , tasty

Cons: hippy look and feel of the restaurant , water was given in tiny glasses (it's annoying whe, seats were low and quite uncomfortable

not great anymore - Edit

Amrita Garden used to be one of my favourite places, I was there at least once or twice a week. But oh gosh it changed so much. Staff is so rude and inattentive. They let me pay before receiving food and drink, so therefore I only gave a small tip and she got so mad at me. Staff in general speaks really little English, so make sure evything you get is really vegan (like drinks that are also made with milk).
Food that used to be great is now below average and was also cold! Not worth the high price!

Pros: nice place with music and a great garden, "hippie place", free water

Cons: really rude staff, food below average, cold, high price

My favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai! - Edit

I LOVED the food there! We ordered the soba noodles, vegan pasta, tempeh ribs, and Thai green soy milk tea. Everything was amazing! We went there twice when we were in Chiang Mai.

One thing that I think can be improve is that the banner outside of the restaurant says "vegan" but some desserts actually contain milk or honey. It would be great if the banner said "vegetarian" so people wouldn't walk in there thinking it was vegan.

Pros: Amazing food, Nice vibe, Friendly staff

Cons: No AC, Says vegan but is actually vegetarian

Incredibile esperienza - Edit

Il locale mi e' piaciuto moltissimo, l'atmosfera e' incredibile. Il menu e' così ricco di scelta, che si vorrebbe provare davvero tutto. Io ho preso un lunch set con riso al Ginger, un caffè di fagioli rossi, un trancio di torta vegana alle carote e semi. Assolutamente fantastico!

Such a charming place! - Edit

An absolutely lovely little gem. Good food, mostly vegan, great service and to little dogs. The main attraction of this place is the feeling it exudes: relaxed, friendly, humble and kind. Def check it out.

Pros: Atmosphere , Two small cute dogs, You take your shoes off at the door

Boring - Edit

Sorry to not agree with everyone's gushing reviews, but three of us are there last night and we all thought the food was completely lacking in flavour. Sure it might be healthy, but healthy does not need to be boring.
They didn't have the vegan burger, so perhaps that's why we lucked out.

Pros: Lovely staff

Cons: Boring food, Over the top menu

wonderful - Edit

What a nice place! It's so cosy in the little wooden house and the food we had was very good. The Burger with the selfmade cheese was nice and the rice pasta with the bolognese sauce and the extra parmesan (get it!) was very good. The staff was also very friendly. Hach. I like!

Pros: tasty food, great atmosphere

Cons: a bit pricey

Look no further! - Edit

Congrats, You've found your vegan restaurant here in Chiang Mai! The atmosphere is very peaceful. Reminds me of my yoga shala back in the states. They have Vegan cheese plate, rice dishes, burgers, salads, stir fry, soup, soba noodle dishes, and spaghetti. They have coffee, tea, smoothies and kombucha as well. The list goes on. Yummy treats to take to go:)))

Beautiful atmosphere, interesting food - Edit

I really enjoyed my afternoon at Amrita Garden as it is a truly peaceful and quiet place with a relaxed atmosphere. The service was friendly and helpful, the food was alright. I had the daily lunch set and it felt like the veggies had been sitting on the plate for quiet a while, the soup was reheated and a little tasteless. But maybe my expectations were a little too high considering the price, which was a bit above average. They also offer some take-away desserts (some of which are declared as vegan) like different sorts of brownies, which are superb and absolutely made up for the disappointment!
Overall it's probably the healthiest food in the most beautiful place you'll find in Chiang Mai.

Peaceful place in a busy city - Edit

Beautiful place to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the busy city that Chiang Mai is. The food is simple and beautifully presented.

Pros: Peaceful. Almost entirely vegan.

Cons: Not open everyday.

Pretty good, but pricey - Edit

I just had the tempeh, which was good, though no sauce was provided which seemed a bit odd. The food seemed good, but definitely pricey with small portions (which is not atypical for a macro-oriented place).

Service was... well, it was some effort to get their attention, but in fairness they had a note about some of the family being on vacation.

I guess the place didn't really capture my heart the way it has others', but it is has a nice small garden, and I can imagine on the right evening, with the service a bit better, and one in the mood to spend a little, that it could be delightful!

Pros: Macro-oriented (for those who care), Probably good quality

Cons: Pricey for CM, Service

Wonderful Place, Wonderful Food - Edit

Amrita Garden is a wonderful little establishment in the old city of Chiang Mai. Please note, it must be the only western style restaurant in Chiang Mai that is almost entirely vegan. I say almost, as they do offer some non vegan desserts, but they also offer vegan and even raw vegan desserts, so who can complain! All of their main dishes are entirely vegan and they really do offer something quite different from what you are normally offered around here. Try this place out you will not be disappointed it is one of the best newer establishments around.

Pros: Offers something different, Delicious and healthy, Sells alcohol

Wonderful Place - Edit

Old Thai house with beautiful quaint restaurant below. Serves delicious salads and lunch specials also good. They now have Raw 100% vegan sugar free treats & chocolates. Try them all. Also 100% vegan carrot cake. Lovely owners and atmosphere. Closed Mondays...

Pros: Good Alternative Healthy Foods, Vegan Sweets, Good Music

great thai japanese mostly vegan food - Edit

kind of an adventure to find, but well worth the trip .. call ahead for directions if you can .. first of all, they make their own homemade kombucha which is excellent (make sure you ask for no ice) but the daily special changes everyday and is quite tasty, the vegan burger is fabulous and the traditional thai house setting is great .. the only grip i have about this place is though the staff is super friendly, the service can be a little hit and miss. overall make the journey, it is well worth it.

Pros: great kombucha, super tasty food, very nice staff

Cons: service is hit and miss

Detox Lunch - Edit

Very quiet atmosphere! It is very comfortable and I spent there about 2 hours... I ordered the Detox Lunch Set (99THB) which I really liked! It came with a small bowl of vegetable soup, a plate with mixed vegetables (steamed), rice balls wrapped in seaweed and mustard leaves and a papaya leaves tea. Everything was very light, clean and refreshing. Since I saw a tray with freshly baked vegan gluten-free muffins I had to try one! I ordered the banana muffin which was good, maybe a bit dry, but perfect with a tea or a coffee.

Pros: Marcobiotic-Organic, Vegan Muffins and cookies, Relaxing atmosphere

Beautiful Place - Edit

Really enjoyed being at this place; what a beutiful little restaurant.

Enjoyed the food but was a little surprised (and dissappointed) that the desserts are all dairy.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 04, 2014

Pros: Relaxing, Food

Cons: Dairy

One of the most interesting places I've visited. - Edit

Amrita Garden is a beautiful place. It is nice just to come and spend a few hours there, reading a book or starting a conversation with people.
The food is accurate. What do I mean by that: you can see how much thought was invested in every serving. It is simple but detailed, wonderfully served and surprisingly filling.
The food itself is very interesting, has it's own agenda and does not surrender to trends or outside influence. This is one of the things I really appreciate about this modest serene place.
Try the Tempe.

Pros: special dishes you can't find anywhere, serenity!, as healthy as it gets

Cons: some people might think: small servings, a little bit hard to find

not pure vegan! still very good! - Edit

We came here somehow thinking this was a vegan restaurant/café because on the sign it said vegan love and there was a lot of soy in the menu. So we tried the carrot cake and thai coffee, both was very good. The second time we came here we asked if all the cakes are vegan and found out that in fact none of then are, except the gluten free vegan muffins which were sold out. Turns out the Thai coffee last time was also not vegan, although when asked for it they will make it with soy milk, which is very tasty.
I don't know if assuming this was a pure vegan place was completely our fault...
Still, the atmosphere is amazing, the people here are very friendly and I all the vegan food and drinks we had was lovely!

Pros: nice atmosphere, super friendly staff, tasty

Cons: not pure vegan, only open a few days a week

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Amrita Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4129 times since Jul 2014.