Ambiente Tapas - Goodramgate

Contact 01904689784

14 Goodramgate, York, England, YO1 7LQ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Spanish tapas restaurant and sherry bar. Offers a marked vegan menu, and probably about 40% of the main is vegetarian. Has espresso drinks, organic and vegan wine. Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by Alyson

OK - Edit

It's perhaps unfortunate that there are two veggie-friendly tapas bars in York because this will inevitably suffer in comparison with El Piano. The dishes they gave us were tasty and filling and the décor is interesting. I feel guilty about criticising it because it was fine, it just can't stand up against El Piano and Goji.

Pros: Smart décor, nice food

Delicious Tapas - Edit

Visited here with a non veg friend as otherwise would have visited some of the vegetarian restaurants in York instead. Initially I was disappointed at having to go here but my view changed completely the moment I walked through Ambiente's doors!

Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, quirky decoration. I was handed a vegan menu, which I expected to be limited. Not so, I was surprised at the choice and had trouble choosing as all of it sounded delicious. I had four different plates which were extremely tasty, freshly cooked and filling. Staff also knowledgable about vegan wines.

This is a place you can go with non veg family and friends and still feel you've had a lovely meal out with plenty of choice. I shall definitely return next time I'm staying in the York area.
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 11, 2015

Pros: Wonderful food, Nice relaxed and friendly atmosphere, Plenty of choice for veggies & vegans

Good quality tapas - Edit

There was a specially marked vegan menu, and staff were knowledgeable about vegan alcohols, including a vegan sherry. Tapas was super tasty, and the atmosphere was friendly.

Pros: Separate vegan menu , Vegan-friendly staff, Vegan Wines

Sophisticated and incredibly vegan conscious - Edit

For a non-vegan (non-vegetarian!) restaurant, Ambiente is incredibly conscious of vegans. Everything we ordered was fantastic, and we ordered a LOT of food! The restaurant is so vegan-friendly that they've created a separate vegan menu by marking their regular menu with little dots to indicate which items already are or can be made vegan. Even the wine list indicates which wines are vegan. The decor and ambience were really lovely, and the food we had was fabulous. We had the only vegan dessert, which was churros with hot chocolate for dipping. The service was fantastic, and our experience overall was really, really positive. I'd love to see more vegetarian and vegan restaurants have the kind of sophistication, professionalism and nice ambience that we've seen in many non-vegan restaurants like this one.

Pros: fabulous food, very vegan-conscious, fantastic service

Really pleased - Edit

I had heard great things about this place for vegans, so one day a friend and I walked in. It was a strange time, around 4pm on a Saturday. We walked in, not having a clue what was going on, there is a small sort of waiting area downstairs, I assume all staff were too busy to find us so others more pushy, ended up being helped first. I do think this needs looked at.

However, having been given the menu, we decided on the vegetable paella for two and as that would take 35mins (as all paellas do take some time) we thought we'd order a couple of dishes first. I checked with the waitress if something had any dairy in it and I was handed the menu again, but this time with stickers next to everything dairy free. This also included the meat items, but the whole menu was covered in little stickers, there were plenty veggie options and apart from the obvious with cheese or cream, they all appeared to be vegan. There were also other notes on this menu so I assume this is for other items which may cause allergies.

I settled on a blackbean and cashew fritter and my omni friend had a chicken dish.

Mine was very tasty and we didn't have to wait long, although we were forced to stand while we waited and were then taken upstairs with our drinks when our starter was ready.

The paella came out and looked small, but was quite deceptive, so the waiter offered to pack it up the remainder for us. Warning if you do this, the package will leak oil! I found this out when my jeans ended up with delightful oily patches.

Still, it was very nice and a great choice for vegans and reasonably priced. I would recommend booking though as it was really getting busy when we left close to 6. I will certainly be visiting again.

Pros: very vegan friendly, tasty, reasonable prices

Cons: slightly awkward but friendly service

Surprisingly good for vegans - Edit

I was in York for work, arriving Sunday evening. I had checked Happy Cow for veggie/vegan places but none were going to be open at that time. A colleague said that this place came up on her search for vegetarian so we gave it a go. On informing the waitress that I was vegan she went and got a specially marked up menu and many of the vegetarian tapas dishes were vegan, and didn't mean 'missing' the non-vegan thing out either. The three of us had a good selection of dishes - about 3 per person is about right - and it was nice to try lots of different things. All the ones I had were good. Wine list also specified vegetarian / vegan. So, a good place to go if the fully vegetarian / vegan places are closed. Nice decor and surroundings. Reasonably priced, and the food section of our bill for 3 people only came to just over £30.

Pros: Vegan menu, Reasonable price, Surroundings

Cons: Meat/fish served

Return to York Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ambiente Tapas - Goodramgate closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3658 times since Sep 2011.