All Shook Up

845-485-1955

44 Raymond Ave (at Arlington area), Poughkeepsie, New York, USA, 12603

Serves meat, vegan options available. Retro 50's style atmosphere. Will make a dish vegan upon request. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-7:00pm, Sat 10:00am-4:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Paulsandy

A handful of good vegan lunch-type items - Edit

The restaurant was decorated like a 1950s diner, with some homey local touches. It was indeed small and nearly empty when I arrived, toward the end of the day, with only the proprietor around.

Asked to name vegan items, the proprietor right away named three sandwiches and some salads. Some were based on roasted vegetables, and there was a veggie burger. She was able to show me the package of gluten-free wraps when I had a question about the ingredients. The sandwiches could be made with wraps--an attraction for people seeking to limit their intake of baked goods. There were some interesting packaged natural-foods-store-type snacks for sale, including some flax chips with only simple, healthy ingredients--which I bought for later.

The sandwich I ordered proved to be tasty and interesting, though I left for my next destination slightly regretful that I had not ordered another fresh-made dish. This restaurant proved to be a good place for a visiting vegan to eat a meal, though the old-fashioned diner-style menu did not highlight vegan or vegetarian items with a symbol or other special marking, an approach that makes individualized explanation necessary.

Pros: proximity to Vassar College and other attractions, reasonable quality of food, sandwich and salad offerings

Cons: lack of a wide selection of vegan dishes

Little Gem - Edit

This is not a fancy place. It's teeny. And warm the day we were there. But it's inexpensive and wonderful. The owner is beyond friendly. He had two vegan soups and hubby and both were excellent. Don't eat the crackers served with the soup...the owner forgot there was butter in them but it's printed on the package. My husband had a grilled wrap that he loved. I had a panini that wasn't vegan by design but the owner made a sauce substitution that made it vegan and it was really, really tasty. There really weren't any dessert options for us but that was okay. We left full and satisfied and feeling like it had been a great value. The owner uses some organic ingredients when feasible.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Smallish, No vegan dessert options

MichelleatAllshookup 28 Sep 2013 - Hi, how are you? Thanks for the review, we really appreciate it. Next time you come in ask for the gluten free crackers; they don't have dairy in them and I do usually offer them to vegans; sorry you weren't given that option :( As for dessert, I do sometimes have vegan options...chocolate mousse, vegan ice cream, some baked goods. Sorry there were no options for you when you were in. Let me know when you are in again. Thanks again, Michelle

Great Place - Edit

This is a very nice little cafe type place that definetly makes their food from scratch, all homemade. They have wraps, burgers, soups, among other things, have a good Juicing menu as well. They have plenty of vegetarian and vegan dishes, and will gladly substitute what they can to suite your needs on other items on the menu as well. The Split Pea soup was awesome, my veggie burger was very good, and my girlfriend got one of the vegan wraps that she loved. We will definetly be going back soon. The prices are more than fair for the amount of work they put into the food, I was pleasantly suprised at how low the prices were. For some reason, it won't let me put 5 cows for a rating, but it deserves it.

Pros: Value, Friendly staff, menu

MichelleatAllshookup 28 Sep 2013 - Hi Paul and Sandy, Thanks for the great review. I didn't know it was here otherwise I would have responded sooner. Remind me of who you are next time you come in. Thanks again, Michelle

Return to Poughkeepsie Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has All Shook Up closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.