Buddha Lounge - African Kitchen

Contact 6442555

Uus 32/43 (at old town center), Tallinn, Estonia,

Serves meat, vegan options available. In Jan 2015 African Kitchen re-branded as Buddha Lounge; same management. Offers some vegetarian dishes. Interesting interior and large terrace. Reggae music played.

Category: Juice bar, Beer/Wine, African, Non-veg

First Review by Poundie

Nice Vietnamese food - Edit

A good selection of vegan food albeit restaurant also serves meat and fish. Food was fine. (Tofu & Noddles + Beans & Rice) Tasty, filling and not that spicey. Service was good, nice atmosphere and inexpensive. A pleasant evening.

Cons: Tables are very low

Very disappointing - Edit

We went there after our friends told us to go to African Kitchen, which of course used to serve African food.
When we got there, it had been "replaced" by the Buddha Lounge. Since it's the same owners, we decided to go anyway and were very disappointed.
Menu: very few vegetarian items
Service: not great, we ordered spring rolls as appetizer, they forgot them and brought the main dishes. When we told them they quickly made us some, but with chicken and shrimps...
We told them to simply forget about it but I think they really wanted us to sell us some so they quickly made us vegetarian ones.
Food: we ordered 3 different meals and they were very blend. I feel bad but there are a lot of amazing restaurants in Tallinn!

Cozy atmosphere, food mere average... - Edit

The outlook of the restaurant is just lovely and the sofas and candles invite you to relax and enjoy the good food. The waiters smiled and greeted you, which is a huge plus (in Tallinn, at least)! Their English was good.

The menu had many vegan and vegetarian options available. The main course options are served with flat bread (which wasn't as fresh as preferable) and either rice or fried potatoes (definitely recommending the latter option!).

I tried a dish with eggplant and tomato, which was served beautifully in a small casserole. Spicy and wonderful. Cheered up the late-autumn evening.

They have a great variety of coctails, smoothies and juices – I highly recommend to try, balances nicely the flavors of the food.

However, the overall experience was nothing special and did not leave me super satisfied and content. The vegan food, or the food in general, was nothing so special, you get to eat good food in other places as well in Tallinn. Ofc, depends a lot on your preferences, but for me this one time probably was just enough.

Pros: Nice staff, Atmosphere and Environment

Cons: Not in the center of Old Town, Nothing special, A bit expensive for student budget

Good food, service needs improvements - Edit

African Kitchen is a good place to visit if you like your curries and lots of peanut flavored dishes in a quirky place. They also have a killer cocktail list. Unfortunately we never got to savor any of them because apparently they had run out of ice. The service in general really needs improvement, especially considering they are situated in the old town and so close to the port. Would definitely go back there to try out some of those cocktails though.

Pros: Quirky place, Great cocktail list

Cons: Pretty bad service

cheap and okay food in nice surroundings - Edit

I usually go to this restaurant when I visit Tallinn. It is close to the ferry terminals in the old town. It has a nice roof terrace and food is cheap comparing to restaurant prices in Finland.

The food is not great, but it has soya protein in some dishes. And I like this kind of food more than eg traditional Estonian food.

Pros: cheap , close to ferry terminals, contains soya protein

Cons: the food is not exceptional

Relaxed place - Edit

I really enjoyed the tofu piri piri. It wasn't so seasoned but good anyway. My friend took some spinach and nuts. I would recommend this place. Relaxed atmosphere and affordable prices.

Pros: Big portions, Good atmosphere, Nice location

Cons: Not the cheapest one

nice veg friendly restaurant - Edit

the atmosphere is very nice with the reggae music and the roof terrace. between the wide choice of food you can find smth vegetarian and even vegan such as soups, cous cous, veg curries...

Pros: nice atmosphere, good food, good position

delicious food, good price, great atmosphere - Edit

i was a little skeptical as i had never tried african food before and didn't know what to expect, but it was amazing! i had black eyed peas in a tomato-coconut sauce with potatoes and salad while enjoying the sunny afternoon on their roof terrace. it was just delish and had such a unique atmosphere. the best part is that my bill, including an estonian beer and tip, was about 10 euro. score!

Pros: tasty food, unique atmosphere, good price

Cons: inside lighting a little dark

African Kitchen, Tallinn - Edit

I ate here last night. There is all vego restaurant around a 10 min walk away and it is a no brainer in my humble view which of the 2 gets my vote. The only reason I can think of between the 2 on why to go to African Kitchen is that it is open late into the evening.

There are around 70 items on the menu of which around 10 are listed as vegetarian. None are listed on the menu as being vegan. I have to question why this establishment is listed on happy cow. Among the vegetarian marked items are cheese dishes. I accept all accusations of being a cycnic here when I question whether or not the restaurant proprieters are aware of the concept of vegetarian cheese. I didn't ask but if you are a lacto veggie then it may be worth you asking.

Pros: Open late hours

Cons: Massivley meat based menu

wildfang Same here. I couldn't even be bothered going inside after having had a look at the menu outside the restaurant and seeing all those meat dishes including antelope meat listed up. I ended up having spaghetti at Vapiano instead..
I also don't think that a place serving so much meat or antelope's meat for that matter should be listed on happycow or happyantelope.org - the mere fact that Tallinn hasn't many choices doesn't justify supporting any place with two or three veggie meals on the menu.

absolutely brilliant - Edit

I loved african kitchen. dont care at all that its not 100% veggi because quite frankly you dont exactly have loads of choice in tallin. the staff were really nice and it has a really nice atmosphere. food is fantastic and not too expencive. starter,main and pudding around 200eek(around £10). try the honey bread starter, its amazing! the only downside is the music which i found a bit irritating.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: music a bit annoying

Dining in a sauna...can you believe it?? - Edit

I feeled screwed, as i read, that they serve antelope. Goddamit!! But afterall i got a lovely prepared meal with soya chunks and spicy just the way i like it. All in a warm and cosy atmosphere. I wished i had have the time to try dining in their sauna. This might be quite an experience. Your still don't have that many choices in Tallin...

Pros: Eat in a sauna, Spicy soya chunks, Nice staff

Cons: serve meat, serve antelope

Lovely place to s - Edit

The restaurant has 6-8 different vegan options (has textured soy as an option), tahini&humus is excellent choice for a starter. Meal price ~ 95 kronor (6-7€). It's neatly decorated and food is tasty.

Definitely worth going to! - Edit

This in an African themed restaurant, with African decor and food. It is located in the old town, right by "Fat Margaret's Tower." I give it only 3 stars because it is not a vegetarian restuarant. However, like Aed (which is also listed on the Happy Cow site) the vegetarian and vegan food that is here is excellent in every way: delicious, healthy, and well prepared. Especially since most of the other restuarants in Tallinn are so unfriendly to vegans, I would strongly recommend any vegetarians of vegans in Tallinn to check out this place!

Pros: Good food, nice atmosphere, healthy

Cons: not all vegetarian

Return to Tallinn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Buddha Lounge - African Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4687 times since Aug 2007.