Chinese cuisine offers a wide variety of vegetarian dishes. With a little imagination, you could combine recipes of different dishes and come up with a new one. Treat yourself to this easy to prepare and delicious Chinese cuisine inspired dish.
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Serves 3-4 persons
-1 block tofu
-2 heads Chinese white cabbage or bok choy
-100 gram canned button mushroom, sliced
-3 medium sized fresh or canned shitake mushroom, sliced in thin strips
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
-salt to taste, optional
-1 inch ginger, cut into thin strips
-1 teaspoon oil (sesame or another one)
-1/2 cup water
-2 tablespoon soy sauce
-3 tablespoon sugar
-1 tablespoon cornstarch, diluted in1/4 cup water
-toasted garlic, optional
1. Cut tofu into half inch thick squares. Fry in high heat until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
2. In a pan heat a little oil then sauté garlic until light brown. Add sesame seeds, button mushrooms and shitake mushrooms. Sauté for 2-4mins. Add salt to taste. Transfer to a small clean bowl/saucer. Set aside.
3. In the same pan sauté bok choy in high heat until leaves turn dark green. Add salt. Set aside.
4. Using the same pan again, sauté ginger strips in a little oil. Add soy sauce, sugar, water. Mix and simmer.
5. Slowly pour the diluted corn starch. Mix continuously. Put enough diluted corn starch until sauce reaches desired consistency.
6. In a platter arrange cooked Chinese white cabbage or bok choy in one layer. Put crispy tofu over Chinese white cabbage or bok choy then top tofu layer with the garlic mushroom. Drizzle sauce on top and sprinkle with the toasted garlic.