Yug

Contact 5333296

Varsovia 3B, Colonia Juarez, Mexico City, Mexico, 06600

Near Metro stop Insurgentes and 5 minutes walk from Zona Rosa, a large green sign above the door reads "Vegetariano." Offers a la carte or all-you-can-eat buffet on the second floor, daily 1-5pm. A la carte menu includes fresh juices, breakfast, lunch, dinner meals, veggie burgers, sandwiches, salads, and Mexican food; has English menu. Nice space with plenty of seating. Mon-Fri 7:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm

Category: Lacto, International, Western, Buffet, Juice bar, Mexican, Bakery

First Review by vacavaca

Sirvieron gelatina (de grenetina). NO ES VEGETIARIANO. Cocina está hecha un asco, muy sucia. - Edit

Solía ir mucho a ese lugar. Su menú corrido siempre tiene alguna opción vegana. No muy rico, pero aceptable. Después de varias idas me tocó que sirvieran gelatina en el buffet. Osea no es ni vegetariano ni hindú. Después en otra ocasión al servirme el postre, encontré una cucaracha en el plato. Tal vez por la pena nunca me dieron una disculpa. Solo hace falta voltear a la cocina para darse cuenta que eso iba a pasar algún día (y seguirá pasando). El lugar no es ni la sombra de lo que fué algún día. Sobrevive por los godinez de reforma que solo van por comodidad. Pésimos meseros, la mayoría, y muchos antipáticos.

Pros: muy bien ubicado.

Cons: Servicio antipatico, malo. Cocina sucia y asqueros

Delicioso sabor, pocas opciones veganas - Edit

Es muy rico y están dispuestos a veganizar algunos platillos, a mi me hicieron pancakes sin leche ni huevo y los amé por eso. Pero todo el pan tiene huevo y leche :(

Pros: Buen precio, Rico sazón, Buenas porciones

Cons: Pocas opciones veganas

Not the best, there are better places around - Edit

We went there for Sunday brunch (90 pesos) and had the buffet. I wouldn't recommend it. It was all pretty tasteless. Most of the time they were out of items and you had to wait quite a long time for them to replace. We initially wanted to order from the menu but the server was not very friendly and did not speak English. We were not offered an English menu which would have been very helpful since we didn't know what some of the items were. We've tried many other places around the city and they were much better than here. Forget anything vegan here, there's nothing vegan. Find one the excellent vegan places in Condesa or Roma if you want good vegan food.

Pros: Affordable

Cons: Poor service, Tasteless Food

A Godsend! - Edit

Going to Mexico for vegetarians is challenging to say the least with all food being cooked in lard but Yug was a godsend! The food here is excellent and at affordable prices too. They offer local Mexican cuisine such as enchiladas, huevos rancheros, quesadillas, mole and a fake meat platter that was simply stunning. European dishes are also available. The staff were also very helpful and most could speak English with menus available in English if you ask. Yug also offer Mexican style breakfasts as well as other options such as cereal, fruits and yogurts. Jug also has a shop selling Fresh cakes and bread, soy pieces. Check out the buffet upstairs too.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Nice Staff

Good breakfast - Edit

Happened to go in for breakfast on Mother's Day. Decided to opt out of ordering from the menu and take the special buffet. It was full of traditional Mexican breakfast items. I was glad to get to try them all, and it was such a relief to know I could eat everything there! They used a lot of different types of TVP (typical of most veg restaurants in Mexico), and there was a ton of fresh fruit. The service was courteous and kind.

Huge Disappointment - Edit

The service was awful. It took around 15 mins to be helped. There were numerous cheese and meat items on the menu. We went for brunch and the only vegan option was a fruit salad that I could get at any restaurant. Not worth it at all. We left.

Good food - Edit

I went here for lunch on a Sunday afternoon and I found the food to be good. It was 90 pesos for the set meal, although the price can vary depending on the options you choose. Came with drink, soup, salad, main plate, bread basket and dessert. Overall a very good meal and it was nice that they were open on Sunday. The waiter was friendly too.

Pros: Flavors, Attention to nutritional value

Okay Place, Lost on Vegan - Edit

This restaurant is decent. The lunch is better than breakfast as far as vegan options- at least I think it is. The waiters all seem to have no idea what vegan means.

I visited 3 or 4 times during my stay in Mexico because there aren't many options for vegans there. Each time I had a different waiter. One had an idea what vegan meant and was helpful. Everyone else was baffled and completely unhelpful in terms of substitutions.

Pros: Prices, Space, Friendly Staff

Cons: No clue what vegan means, Almost no vegan breakfast options

Not bad, not great - Edit

Decent place. If you're vegetarian you should be set. But if you're vegan, not as much. Almost every dish (in fact i think every dish) has eggs or cheese in it. Not as part of it, but as a main part of it. They're willing to leave it out, but then you're stuck with a lack luster meal. Also for a vegetarian place they seemed to have no clue what a vegan is.

Went there a few times because the coffee was decent and there just aren't many veggie options in Mexico City. But with each waiter had to explain what being vegan is. The food was okay, not great.

I wouldn't say don't go, but doesn't have to be a top option.

Pros: Vegetarian, Good Coffee, Not bad price

Cons: No clue what a vegan is, Food is just okay

fresh juice, authentic Mexican vegan-accommodating breakfast - Edit

I just went here for breakfast. My friend and I each got a juice, and we split the one vegan bread/pastry (pictured), and the enchiladas made vegan. A filling breakfast and reasonably priced. It was good. My friend speaks spanish and I do not and he verified with the waiter that the one pastry was vegan. A nice start to our trip!

Pros: vegan pastry, vegan enchildas, juice!

Cons: limited english, heavy on the omelette offerings , centrally located

Not impressed - Edit

I went here based on the positive reviews but was severely underwhelmed. Our dishes were heavy of faux meats with limited flavour. In fact, my dish was mainly cold, oily and dry faux meat with corn tacos. My friend had a bun with sauce and cheese, that honestly was not that appealing. Perhaps their buffet is better, but we arrived too early. It only runs 1-5pm everyday.

Vegetarian Mecca in Mexico - Edit

Excellent, friendly service and a lot on offer but it is really a great place for Vegetarians to try more traditional Mexican dishes. I seriously got stuck into a soy strip hot pot which included whole baby onions and cactus. Yug was also offering Mexico's seasonal speciality of stuffed (soy) mince peppers draped in walnut sauce and sprinkled with pomegranate seed. All very exotic. I did not realise there was a buffet on another floor...An excuse to get back to Mexico City oneday soon.

Good vegan lunch - Edit

I had the lunch menu of the day which was fruit, bread, mole verde with soya meat and veggie rice as the main, and more fruit in a sweet syrup for dessert. I also had a juice. The meal was good and I especially liked the mole verde, which I had not tried before. However, the staff could have been a bit more attentive. The waiter walked off while I was trying to ask him what was vegan and I had to wait til he came back.

Overall the menu looked really good, and I wish I tried the buffet upstairs too, but I ran out of time in Mexico City.

Pros: Lots of options, Good value

Great Vegetarian Plcae, Good for Vegans - Edit

We liked the Torta Azteca, Tacos al Pastor and Molcajete Mexicano with cheese served on the side for the non-vegans in our group. Fresh salsa was good too. We took leftovers home and some carnivores enjoyed the flavors too! Friendly service, nice experience.

Pros: Tasty, Vegan friendly

one of the originals and one of the best! - Edit

So nice coming back to this place after a while... a real, traditional, no-holds-barred vegetarian institution, they have a fantastic and varied buffet (do not miss this!), as well as an extensive menu with creative but old-school versions of Mexican specialties. Easily one of the top 10 spots in the city.

Pros: varied, authentic, nice location

Really nice staff and good food - Edit

I went there with my vegetarian wife and son, a carnivore Mexican friend and I am vegan with a high raw diet. The place is nice, simple not fancy but clean. Staff is super nice and helpful. All the dishes were really nice and even our carnivore friend was impressed with the food. I am used to a little more raw on my plate, but still I enjoyed the very Mexican vegan dish. My family loved theirs too. The juices were excellent.

Pros: Nice staff, Good food, Veg/vegan options

Recommendable - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Yug review.

This place is one of the better vegetarian restaurants in the city. There is a large menu, and most of the items seemed appetizing. Though some items may be heavy on the soy meats, so it's good to share.

Pros: easy to find, many choices

Vegetarian Mexican dishes... What could be better! - Edit

I went to this restaurant twice. I always felt Mexico City was not really a vegetarian friendly place, but that's been changing in the last couple of years.
I always imagined that vegetarian restaurants would offer generic vegetarian dishes, but Yug offers so much more than that:
Apart from the traditional Mexican meatless dishes, Yug has created vegetarian versions of traditional Mexican dishes. The menu offers many options, too.

I came here with 4 other family members (none of whom are vegetarian apart from me) and we all loved it. And trust me, when I say that my meat-loving family enjoyed a vegetarian restaurant it means it must have been pretty good.

It's also quite close to the Angel of Independence (which is actually called "Column of Independence" and it's not an Angel but the Greek Goddess of victory "Nike", but I digress), so if you're a tourist you can go there and take pictures of that famous monument.

The prices are really cheap, compared to what my family of 5 would've spent in some other restaurant.

If you go to Mexico City and want to try some Mexican dishes with the vegetarian twist, go here!

Pros: Authentic Mexican dishes, Very tasty, lots of options, Cheap

The Best Lunch Buffet in Town - Edit

There lunch buffet is delicious and well worth making the effort to go to. The Downstairs menu is delicious as well. Seasonal specialties. Amazing Tacos.

Pros: Fab Lunch Buffet, Delicious, Great selection

A sympathetic place! - Edit

The service was very nice and vegan food was not an issue. Just make sure you remind them enough about leaving the dairy out as most portions are originally vegetarian. Salads and smoothies were big as well as everything else. Mainly burgers, pasta and Mexican food. At lunch time the buffet upstairs was excellent and even a vegan could find enough to eat. The salads were many and good. Celery, beet etc. fresh juice included!

Pros: Vegan options can be fixed, Service, Price

Cons: English not always spoken

GREAT FOOD- EXCELLENT FIND! - Edit

It was a joy to find this place, worth a visit to this part of town. Far superior to the other veg restaurants in the city. Mexican food with protein for veggies! Yea! Reasonably priced and delicious- even meat eating partner rated it. Staff were very lovely.

Pros: delicious food, nice staff, Good value

Great variety - Edit

I thought the food was excellent and they offered great variety. The staff was also very helpful accommodating to vegan needs. The atmosphere is fun and colorful. They also sell baked goods and fake meat products at the front of the restaurant.

Favorite Vegetarian Restarant in Mexico City - Edit

We went here for lunch and ordered the vegetarian "meat", Mexican style. It must've been seitan/gluten but looked and tasted so much like beef that it was amazing. The large portion was served with small tortillas, guacamole, refried beans and small slices of lime. AWESOME!! I also chose a fruit drink called the Flamingo which was really good. Staff is very attentive. I will certainly return here on my next visit to Mexico City!

Pros: good value, friendly staff, excellent food

yug - Edit

this was very easy to find and in a nice neighborhood. it was hard to communicate with the staff to find out what was vegan in the lunch buffet. they had a soy meat in the lunch buffet, which was tasty. the rest of the buffet was average in taste and variety. price was decent. 75 pesos for all you can eat lunch buffet.

2 Restaurants in 1 with the Buffet - Edit

There's a buffet upstairs, open something like 1-5 PM (every day--even Sunday!), and the restaurant downstairs is open most of the day (including dinner) every day of the week. Both upstairs and downstairs are good and have a pretty good variety. Both are moderately vegan-friendly. Like others have mentioned--lots of soy meats (to give you approximations of the meat-based items in Mexican cuisine). The buffet price is 75 pesos during the week and 80 pesos on the weekend--a meal downstairs costs a similar amount.

Pros: variety, taste, convenient location in Zona Rosa

the best vegetarian place in Mexico City - Edit

I recommend the lunch buffet, which costs between 60 and 80 pesos (it's a bit more expensive on the weekends). When you enter the Yug, walk upstairs for the buffet. The buffet usually has several salads (some fruit salads, some green salads), a soup, and a couple of main dishes, which usually are Mexican food with some sort of fake meat. I usually encounter a couple of salads I don't like, a few excellent dishes, and some interesting combinations that are strange but good. Your meal will come with a choice between two delicious flavors of "aguas frescas" and a dessert that is usually somewhat dry and boring. If you're not ready for a little bit of an adventure, you probably won't like the Yug buffet. About 3/4 of the people I have taken there love it and leave really happy. Another 1/4 (usually the less culinarily adventurous) hate it.

If you're ordering from the menu, I recommend the tacos al pastor.

Pros: great aguas frescas, tacos al pastor are excellent, lots of variety

Cons: creamy apple salads, dry and boring desserts

Wonderful place - Edit

This is an interesting restaurant that gets a good and varied crowd of working folks from the area. There is a fixed and regular lunch menu. The fixed menu is a great value, with a lot of food! You must specify about cream, cheese, and eggs if you are vegan.
There regular menu offers a great variety of Mexican dishes and I highly recommend the Enchiladas with Mole. They also have great fruit drinks, coffee, etc. All in all a good atmosphere, great food, and great service.

Pros: wonderful food, healthy options, large servings

Return to Mexico City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yug closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3134 times since Aug 2007.