First Review by judas_77

Not amazing - Edit

It seemed to be trying to copy Hiltl in Switzerland with a pay-by-weight buffet (a bit overpriced), except the food wasn’t that great and the selection wasn’t as good. The desserts were nice, if a little dry and crumbly. All items were clearly labeled.

Pros: Clearly labeled vegan items

Cons: Limited selection, Overpriced, Bland food

Great for every occasion - Edit

Yamm is really nice because you can have a casual lunch but also may celebrate your birthday there as the interior is quite chic.
The food is really tasty and sometimes spicy and they have a lot of vegan options ranging from salads and hot main dishes to cakes and desserts.
Their smoothies are also really good. :-)
A negative aspect is that if you like huge portions it gets quite expensive. Also if you want to avoid oil completely it may not be the perfect spot for you.

Pros: amazing atmosphere , lots of vegan options, opposite the university of Vienna

Cons: can be expensive

Awesome... - Edit

Don't know what people complain about. Food was tasty, service was super nice and fast, drinks were home-made and refreshing...will go there on my next visit to Vienna again...

Pros: interior, cozy, great

Yamm still one of the best in Vienna! - Edit

The Yamm is still one of the best, even for vegans! But certainly it is not the cheapest veggie restaurant in Vienna. But for the provided high quality even recommended by Gault Millau!, stylish ambient and the city center location the price is OK! I visit the spacious Yamm - placed in front of the beautiful University of Vienna where I work, since the opening several years ago nearly once a week. And I could always choose from around 4 up to 7 tasty cooked vegan! main dishes. Additionally they always offer 5 or 7 very delicious clearly marked! Vegan cakes! I agree that Yamm has to mark clearly the vegan wines in the new wine list! But till now the waiter could recommend me two open white and open red which were vegan.

Pros: Stylish apacious place, Yamm in front of old University of Vienn, summer with nice garden in front of Yamm

Cons: vegan wine is not clearly marked

Disappointing for vegans, overpriced for all - Edit

I love buffets, so I had really high hopes for Yamm. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed. Vegan dishes are well labelled, but they are mainly the salad and side dishes. My partner is vegetarian and he got to try pizza, tortellini, dumplings, lasagne and arancini, and any sides he wanted. The only "main" available to me was the gumbo - it was delicious, but I felt a bit cheated, and like I was overcharged for my plate of food.

Also, vegan wines are not marked on the menu. I was told that the only vegan wines were available by the bottle, not by the glass. However, they were also available in spritzer form. A very odd policy.

I was there for breakfast as well. The vegan option says it comes with 2 "vegan pastries". The pastries are bread buns. Not quite what I'd expected!

Cons: Vegan buffet options not up to standard, Misleading use of the word "pastry", Overpriced

partly yamm - Edit

Good location, nice decoration, lots of clearly marked vegan options. But: cantine style food with high street prices; slightly annoying staff (4 different people came to take our drinks order). Main criticism: everyone agreed the food was too salty - our mouths burned. A very full plate costs 28€. Good option if you have the budget and no other vegan option. Good place to chill.

Fantastic Food, Chic but Relaxed Atmosphere - Edit

This restaurant has an extensive self-service buffet where you pay by weight. There is a wonderful range of vegan and gluten-free options and a full bar. The servers are friendly and multi-lingual. It's in a great location on the Ring right across from the University of Vienna. Because it caters to students as well as the people who work in the government buildings nearby, the decor and atmosphere is upscale and edgy, but very comfortable, and we were definitely able to "come as we were" in terms of clothing. My husband and I both thought that the price for the food was extremely reasonable given the excellent quality. In short, this place is an absolute winner. (To give you an idea how much we liked the food: they have a cookbook that they sell to raise money for charity, and I bought it on the spot.)

A tip for rookies: The payment system is smart, but it takes a bit of getting used to. When you arrive, you're given a card, and then you go to the buffet, choose what you want, and bring your plate over to a scale to be weighed. The confusing bit is that you think you should somehow scan your card, but really you just need to press it flat against the upper left hand of the monitor. Then, when your plate has been weighed, be sure to press the green "Buchen" button on the screen. When you do, a receipt will print out and that's how you know your order went through. Bring the receipt and the card with you to your table, where a server will come and take your drinks order. It's a bit strange and it took me a couple of tries the first time, but it's very easy once you figure out how it works.

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of vegan and gluten-free options, Great atmosphere

Relaxed setting and food for everyone - Edit

We had been here on a previous visit (2011 I think) and managed to go again twice during a recent stay of just a few days so we must like it. On one occasion we had been to an opera and arrived just as they were closing the buffet but they were still welcoming.

If you have been to Tibits in London this place has a similar format, with a main-course buffet to which you help yourself, and then pay according to the weight of the plate (I think mine came to about 11 euros which seemed reasonable). They have a good variety of food on the buffet including two different asparagus dishes, hurrah. Not everything is vegan but most of it seems to be and it's clearly marked. Everything I had was fresh and delicious and it's mostly made from vegetables, lentils etc rather than fake meat (I did have one dish involving seitan but it was clearly marked).

They also have desserts, including amazingly light vegan torte things, which they sell by the piece (not on the buffet). One slice of cake seemed big enough for two but it depends how hungry you are, obviously.

Only quibble is that the system for payment seems slightly fiddly - get a card for your main course, scan it on the screen (not card-reader - another customer had to show me how), get a print-out then pay a server at the end (they add on the cost of drinks and desserts to what's on the print-out, I think). But it's more trouble for the staff than the customers.

Pros: Fresh, varied food, Plenty for vegans, Nice atmosphere and staff

Cons: Ordering and payment slightly complicate

Very good buffet - Edit

It's a great self service restaurant with waiters bringing you the drinks. The waiters were very friendly and helpful. You should try the soups, they are also great. And don't miss the Wasabi Hummus and the Mint Cucumber Salad. If you have ever been in a Tibits Restaurant somewhere in Europe - it's quite similar.

Modern buffet-style restaurant - Edit

This restaurant welcomes you in with a great modern atmosphere. Buffet style, you pay by every 100g of food you take, and the varriety and possibilities are great - although many of the vegan dishes are asian, which doesn't seem very creative. However, they offer great deserts, and a breakfast menu for vegans. The whole thing is quite expensive, considering it is located so close to the university, but at least they offer student discounts.

Pros: Great atmosphere., Good food, great deserts., Student discounts.

Cons: Expensive., Vegan options mostly asian.

You must eat at Yamm! - Edit

Fantastic fantastic fantastic vegan (and vegetarian) food! This is a by the kilo restaurant that is aesthetically pleasing and has delicious food. I had the glass noodles, wasabi hummus, and tortilla stuffed with sweet potato and bean. So savory. So far my spouse and I have eaten three meals in two days because we loved it so much. Not to be missed is the hazelnut chocolate torte. I love cakes and sweets and getting an amazing vegan torte is pure heaven. The prices are reasonable and if you eat there before 11:00 am the price is cheaper. The wait staff is friendly, helpful, and nice.

Pros: Delicious vegan desserts, Lovely decor, Fantastic food

Dangerous - Edit

A friend took us here recently and we were super excited about all the clearly labeled vegan options on the buffet. I didn't think we went overboard loading up our plates, so I was pretty shocked when we went up to pay and the plates were 20 euro each!! I couldn't get past that enough to really enjoy the food. In retrospect, it was pretty good, especially the soy meatloaf and falafel. But I just can't recommend it due to the price.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: expensive

overrated and expensive - Edit

This place is overrated, unfriendly and way too expensive. They charge more than anybody else and give you less quantity and quality. In the beginning they sometimes "forgot" to not charge for an empty plate on their scale.
Of course they now deny everything and wanna look super shiny but trust me, there are plenty of outstanding vegan options nearby.

Pros: vegan

Cons: too expensive, unfriendly, snobbish

Best of Vienna - Edit

We were in Vienna on 5 days, and 1-2 times a day to eat Yamm! We walked about 8 vegetarian restaurants in Vienna, but Yamm - by far the best! we just fell in love with him! very tasty food, want more and more)))) 100 g food costs 2.7 euros and you yourself choose what and how much you want! salads, vegetables, hot food! We love it! Thanks to the one who discovered this wonderful place!

Naschmarkt - Edit

We went to their shop/restaurant on the Naschmarkt and it was great ! Noce place, nice people and great food - we were happy !

Would go there again.

Pros: great food

Cons: could have been a little more (dish)

A good find - Edit

This was a really wonderful find in Vienna. It is a buffet with a wide variety of options, including some creative re-interpretations of classic Austrian dishes. It has a nice atmosphere with a lot of people coming and going.

The system is a little odd. You fill your plate and then pay by weight. As a result, the price depends a lot on what you get. It seemed to me pretty expensive for the food, but I was willing to pay it.

Pros: Wide selection, Good quality food, Creative re-inventions

Cons: Price

Great and tasty buffet - Edit

The buffet has a wide choice of wamr and cold dishes.
Everything I took was tasty. The food looks good (and tastes well).
The place is lively and a big open space.
I didn't see mention it was vegetarian....certanly cause it is so tasty and good looking that people would walk in and eat here even without realizing that there was no meat :)

Pros: vast selection, tasty, fast

Nice but over-priced - Edit

This place is pretty easy to find once you are in the area. There are big green signs on either sides of the 'restuarant'. We had a look in the restuarant and after reading some of the reviews, I thought it would be a good place to stop off for something to eat. The interior is quite colourful. When you go in, first you have to pick up a dish and fill it with the foods you want from the round counter. You pay by weight. However, the plates are some of the heaviest I have ever felt, so more than half the weight you are paying for is the actual plate. At that price I'd expect to be able to keep the plate as well. And believe me, like everything in Austria, it is way over-priced. The food is very expensive, especially for something that you have to collect yourself. The drinks are also very expensive. The only positive I can really say about the food is that there was a good selection of which most seemed vegan and with also a few vegetarian and not so much meat dishes. Even my partner, a non-veggie, choose the veggie dishes. The food tastes good, but not great, and all is cold bar the soups. The deserts are nothing much to write home about and the service is very basic. If money isn't an option for you, it's a fairly okay place to go to, but for me, it's way over-priced.

Pros: Good selection, Easy to find, Bright decor

Cons: Very-expensive, Nearly all cold foods, No proper service

great restaurant - Edit

We ate there a few times and we really liked the food. True, it's not cheap, but that's the price to pay for fresh food with no or little processed ingredients. Every dish come with a detailed ingredients list (so you can figure out if you'll like or not) and it's colour coded as vegan, gluten free and so on. They have also vegan desserts, however none of them is gluten free.

Pros: free tap water, gluten free

Cons: no gluten free bread/desserts

nice place, found the food a bit pricey though - Edit

I really wanted to like Yamm. The place was nicely done, comfy seats, friendly staff, nice atmosphere and has wifi. The food is done by weight per 100g- it's very like Titbits in London, and so I did find it was quite expensive compared to Formosa or Loving Hut for instance. The salads were all quite nice, but the hot food did seem like it had been sitting out on the hotplates for a while - we went early evening- and it was ok, it just didn't seem that fresh.

Pros: friendly staff, good range , nice venue

Cons: a bit more pricey, not fresh out of the oven

Yamm is really yammy!! - Edit

Was going to othe vegitarian restaurant and was looking for street and this nice person told me to try yamm, what a nice place and great food!!! Thx

Pay by weight, Expensive but Delicious - Edit

When we decided to eat here, I can't say I was overjoyed because it looked like most pay-by-weight veggie restaurants. Ie. expensive and disappointing. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the food was really good overall and a couple of dishes were amazing. I was right about one thing: it's expensive. A modest plate is going to be about 15€ just for the food. If you're hungry or buying drinks expect to pay more. Otherwise, enough choices to be interesting and vegan dishes are clearly marked and, as I mentioned, the food was good.

There is one exceptional thing to mention however: the desserts are super yummy and super cheap! Slices of amazing cakes/pies for under 3€ and 4 super fine cookies for like 2.2€. I highly recommend the cranberry cookies and the cardommon cookies!

I'd give it a three for food, considering the price for buffet-style, but a 5 for desserts. I love cookies so it's gonna be a 4 overall :)

Pros: Cheap, amazing desserts, Good food

Cons: Expensive

5 cows! - Edit

Very nice and stylish restaurant, delicious food, lots of vegan options including baked goods. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Definitely 5 cows!

Pros: Variety of food, Quality of food, friendly staff

Expensive, oversalted - but child-friendly - Edit

We were quite hungry when we came here longing for some tasty food but were kind of disappointed - the fact that the food is weighed at the counter makes it difficult for you to estimate the price you will end up paying - my plateful thus ended up costing an incredible 18,4€ - and it's not even all organic. The food was tasty, though, but way too salty.
What I did appreciate was the children's playing area in the back - something you hardly ever find in Viennese restaurants.
Service was friendly and quick, music was too loud. I will be back as soon as I've won the lottery ;-)

My new favourite in Vienna - Edit

Vienna has lengthy Happy Cow listings but not much that is really good, so almost missed this one. It's a really cool place with a really really good buffet selection of hot and cold foods, on a great location on the ring itself (on the inner, north,side of the ring). Spotlessly clean, spacious and stylish - I will be back!

Pros: Food, Style, Location

Something for everyone! - Edit

I loved this place - the buffet had everything you could possibly want to suit any taste, and you pay by weight so you get exactly the amount you want and don't end up wasting food.

It's exactly like Tibbits in London, perhaps owned by same chain?

Would recommend to everyone for any occasion - quick and easy because everything's ready prepared, but also very smart and serves wine, cocktails etc if you want to make more of an occasion of it. I felt quite comfortable by myself on a small table, but at the next table there was a birthday party with champagne so really suitable for anything.

Pros: Variety, Friendly staff, Convenience

very nice - Edit

very modern and stylish,

self servicing food bar with an incredible amount of different dishes, not possible to try all on one evening :-)

you pay for the weight of the food, so you can choice how much you want to eat or pay

easy to find - direct located at the "Ringstrasse"

for 2 persons with a big hunger we paid approx 30€ without drinks - water for free

Pros: very friendly , variety of food, quality of food

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yamm closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5039 times since Nov 2011.