West Village Market and Deli

• Health Store
Contact 828-225-4949

771 Haywood Rd (at Bledsoe Building, West Ashville), Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28806

Small cooperative market selling locally grown produce; plus supplements, bulk staples, and grocery. Takes special orders. Has a cafe in the back called Roots Cafe that is vegetarian-friendly: breakfast and lunch served to order in addition to grab-and-go selections. Has hot soups and salad bar with veg options. Formerly Grove Corner Market.

First Review by halfthejob

Quite a Number of Vegan Options and Fairly Priced - Edit

The West Village Market has a number of vegan sandwiches and wraps that they offer on a daily basis. Back in the deli, you can place an order for one of these. But they also has a number of these in a refrigerated display case towards the front of the store (for grab and go).

Just this past weekend, I was pressed for time and I had to pick up lunch for a number of people, so I stopped by West Village and grabbed several of the Mock Philly sandwiches (vegan option), a vegan No Evil Foods Chicken Salad Sandwich, and a vegan Breakfast Burritto. And, everyone I ate with shared that they enjoyed their meal. The Mock Philly was recommended by a friend. I thought it was good. The filling was actually great, but I personally prefer more filling and less bread, so I am more inclined to eat wraps and burritos and such. With regard to the No Evil Foods Chicken Salad Sandwich: I once got this for a meat-eating friend. When he was almost halfway through it, he realized it had vegan meat and exclaimed, "I think I could go vegan if I could eat something like this everyday!" And, with regard to the Vegan Breakfast Burrito -- highly recommended by a friend: It is one of the more unique vegan breakfast burritos I've had, without scrambled tofu and with things like No Evil Foods chorizo and sweet potatoes in the mix.

I like to shop at the West Village Market. But, I have increasingly found myself stopping in for a sandwich or wrap when I'm pressed for time, because they have a number of vegan options, they use local products and produce (when and where possible), and for between $6 and $8, I can have a ridiculously filling meal. Or I can just eat half today for lunch, and half tomorrow.

Pros: A number of vegan sandwhich/wrap options, A grab and go option, Locally sourced (when/where possible)

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has West Village Market and Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 693 times since Nov 2009.