First Review by vacavaca

Absolutely wonderful place and experience! - Edit

I really had to hunt this place down, but with a street map and the address you can get to it. Again, the surrounding neighborhood is awesome. I highly recommend visitors come here for lunh after seeing the Frida Kahlo Museum and/or the Leon Trotsky Museum. It is a reasonable distance away from those 2. It didn't look like much from the outside but the place is light and comfy, and the waitress was really nice. They also had an English menu, FYI. People are saying that the mock meats are heavy, but after struggling being vegan in Mexico, after getting to Vege Taco I almost sobbed happy tears here. I ordered every single taco and devoured them! I also enjoyed a side of gaucamole and the jamaica (drink) was absolutely fantastic- it was incredible to have a cold drink after searching this place out. I would go so far as to say this place is an absolute MUST in D.F. One of the best vegan eating experiences I have had in years. Also, people have said there are a lack of veggies but I asked for one with extra veggies and was not charged extra. I love this place!

Pros: food is amazing! , so fun to watch your food being made!, overall it was a fun restaurant hunt!

Cons: I wish it were 100% vegan! , Could use more outside signage., A bit far from a subway stop

Nice vegetarian / vegan option in Coyoacan - Edit

Very friendly staff for this nice little place where we enjoyed good quesadillas and tacos. We are vegan and found options quite easily. The tacos didn't have any veggies, only mock meat, so order some sides to balance! We would have appreciated some extras such as nopales, lime, beans etc, as we found in the other tacos places we tried.
However, they have a lot of options and the ones we tried were tasty.
Not the place we have been but definitely worths visiting.

Pros: many options including mock meat, friendly staff, cheap

Cons: not enough veggies in tacos

Tasty tacos - Edit

Definitely one of my favourite restaurants we visited while in Mexico City. Highly recommend their mole taco. I wish I could have tried all of their tacos because they were so good. Their tacos are faux meat heavy so it was nice to get sides with more vegetables (salad and soup). The resto is all veg, but easy to ask to omit cheese for vegans.

7 pesos for a taco. 45 pesos for a salad, soup, 3 small tacos and a drink. How could you go wrong? Cheap and tasty!

Pros: cheap, tasty, fast

My favourite restaurant - Edit

This is easily my favourite restaurant in Mexico City. We go here all the time and I just cannot get enough of their tacos or cecina mixta.

If you go during the week, before 5 p.m. I believe, and order a meal or a certain number of tacos, you will get a free salad and soup before your main course. This makes it reasonably busy, but there's a good amount of seating, so you should be OK.

If you are vegetarian and looking for authentic tasting tacos, look no further!

Pros: Excellent value, Excellent food, Good portions

Taqueria - Edit

Platillos muy ricos, menu diario entre semana, la carne es de gluten, si eres intolerante no es un lugar para ti.
Cocinan con mucha grasa pero sabe rico.

Pros: Servicio rapido

Cons: No tiene lugar de estacionamiento, Toda la carne es con Gluten

my goodness... mexiveg bliss - Edit

This place is something else... looks like an unassuming corner taco shop as many have mentioned, but they have a truly deep variety of veggie tacos plus surprises like veggie braised kid which is just fantastic. Very sensitive to vegan options, just ask. Open till around 7, just late enough to grab a quick dinner. Come to Coyoacan for the tacos, then stay for the lovely neighborhood.

Pros: scrumptious, cheap, varied

Cons: overboard with the mirrors, not very conveniently located

Great Food! Great Price! - Edit

The food at this restaurant was great. This restaurant serves many of the traditional mexican dishes with vegetarian meat replacements. I went with a group of five people and we ordered several items off the menu to share. Some of the best dishes we tried were the tacos al pastor, the huitlacoche and the chile nogada. The price was unbeatable the total for all five of us to eat was less than 300 pesos.

amazing! - Edit

Found this place off of happycow. It is located in a rather bohemian/touristy but SAFE Coacayan neighborhood of Mex City.

Great food! Nice lunch specials. Great variety. We had the lunch combo including tortilla soup, 3 types of tacos, and sald. Al pastor, fajita, bean, picadillo.. all 100% veg.. amazing stuff. Salsa's were great. Wash it down with some great agua fresca-- jamaica, limon amongst other varieties.

Human and delicoius way to enjoy "street" tacos. Clean and hygeinic place.

Pros: cheap, clean, authentic taste

Nice surprise - Edit

Traveling has always been a challenge when it comes to finding good vegan food. My wife and I have more than not resorted in going to local grocers first because we can usually come up with some creative fare.
There seems to be a bigger trend for veggie friendly places to find comfort in dinning.
So...vegi taco is as the other reviews have stated. I'm not a big gluten fan but they do a great job creating the faux experience. There drinks are great with some good combos.
My dinner recommendation would be the chile nogalas...a cile relleno
Stufed with nuts fruit and guten topped with a walnut sauce. So for me I'm getting more natural based food as opposed to all wheatmeat,and it rocks.
I liked it enough to go back a few times.

Pros: Covenient, Healthy, Small business

Nyom! - Edit

Like Vacavaca said....this place doesn't look like much from the outside. I almost missed it. It is in a nice part of town, and so the search is pleasant anyway. It's small, and there is seating around the wall in the back, or around the kitchen on higher stools, so you can watch the food being prepped. The menu was easy enough for a non-Spanish speaker to understand - especially with the aid of a dictionary, and the staff were all really helpful - translating when they could. There are also pictures of the dishes, which are all Mexican. I ordered the "Cecina" Mixta a la Tampiquena which cost around 76 pesos. It came with a starter of a salad with Alfalfa and Sesamae seeds, and a Tomatoe and green bean soup. The dish itself was abundant too. Rather heavy on the cheese for me - but I'm transitioning away from vegan. I would probably have understood that too if my Spanish was better. My green juice was delicious too!
Definitely worth the short walk away from Coyoacan's main squares.

Pros: Excellent food., Great value., Wonderful service.

great little place - Edit

This place doesn't look like more than a small, typical taco place. But, it is more expansive inside than you would think - although lacking in decoration or atmosphere. The food is wonderful. They make their gluten in house, and everything is fresh. They offer a variety of traditional Mexican dishes, without meat.(However, you do need to specify about cheese and cream if you are Vegan.)
We enjoyed the barbeque flautas, which were delicious and substantial, and may also come with a soup and salad. We also had tacos one with delicious mole, one with mushrooms and one nepal. All were delicious and simple - as was the guacamole we ordered. The restaurant only offers vegetable and fruit drinks - We enjoyed the strong lime, beet, and especially the jamaica juice.

Pros: great food, great value

Cons: small variety of drinks, atmosphere bland

Return to Mexico City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vege Taco closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2959 times since Aug 2007.