Uu Dam Chay

Contact 0981349898

34 Hang Bai, Hanoi, Vietnam,

Stylish vegetarian restaurant not far from Hoan Kiem lake. On the menu are dishes like fresh or deep fried spring rolls, macadamia pineapple fried rice, hotpots, soups. Prices are slightly higher than other veg places. Menu is in Vietnamese only. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese

First Review by tom_87

The best vegetarian Vietnamese food we had! - Edit

The place is a little bit fancy and nice decorated. Only a few tourist around. The staff is very helpful and they have menu in english.
We tried many different dishes and all of them were really tasty. We loved the curry, hot pot, the thai noodles and the rolls. The beverages were also delicious! Don't miss this place.

Pros: authentic vietnamese vegetarian food, beautiful place

Cons: a little bit expensive, staff doesn't speak english, so use goole tran

Absolutely Loved It! - Edit

I knew from the second I walked in that I would love this place. It's beautifully decorated and very clean. I read that they didn't have an English menu, but they actually did :) There are A LOT of options that it's a little overwhelming, but there is a photo of everything which helps. I had the jicama salad which was incredibly fresh, the quesadilla which was delicious and light (I don't think it was vegan though), and a non-alcoholic blueberry mojito which was gorgeous in an of itself and very tasty.

If I were staying in Hanoi longer, I would have eaten there every other day.

The prices are definitely more western, but in my opinion it's so worth it.

I would recommend making dinner reservations, as the place gets very busy.

Pros: Amazing food, Lots of variety , Beautiful space

Cons: Western prices

Veggie fine dining - Edit

The restaurant is absolutely gorgeous from the moment you walk in. English menu with tons of vegan options. The Pineapple Fried Rice was sooo good and the Thai Vermicelli Salad was nice and spicy which is something we were craving for. Tasty rolls too. Also tried one of their hot pot sets which were enough to comfortably fill 4 tummies. Staff are friendly and very attentive since there's always about 4 of them hanging by each table. Only downside is that they made us order Evian water which obviously costed a bomb and didn't have options for filtered water or regular mineral water. Tip: Skip the Evian water and go for one of the drinks instead since it costs pretty much the same.

Pros: Nice setting for special occasions, Delicious food

Cons: Expensive water

Beautiful restaurant - Edit

The restaurant is only two blocks down from Hoan Kiem lake, easy to walk from the old quarter. It is a really beautiful looking place. The staff were very friendly. I had stuffed tofu, which was quite nice, and thin summer rolls that I did not like that much. For me the food did not live up to the location, but it still offers much nicer and more creative food than a com chay, and the prices were not too high.

Beautiful. - Edit

The setting is beautifully designed and food is beautifully presented. Modern design but with Vietnamese twist in the wall decorations, crockery, all well thought through.
Book in advance as it is popular.
Although there is a large sign outside saying VEGAN this is only a vegetarian restaurant. However, most dishes were vegan and our server checked if we ate milk or eggs when we ordered. She also remembered later in the meal when we asked about desserts (very few vegan options, as usual, sadly - we got cocktails instead!).
The food was interesting and tasty, lots of fresh flavours, all plant and tofu based. Pecan soup, tofu stuffed with mushrooms, fresh spring rolls and a fried rice with crunchy macadamia nuts served in a pineapple were some of the highlights.
Very comfy seats, good service and arranging the seating in several different areas meant that, although the restaurant was fully booked, it wasn't horribly noisy.
Most expensive meal in Hanoi as it worked out around £15 each but would have been several times that in UK!

Pros: Server helped us make sure our food was vegan, mos, So well designed and presented.

Cons: Vegan sign outside and referring to itself as &#34, No exciting vegan desserts!

Amazing - Edit

Among my best meals ever. So delicious. And the restaurant is so beautiful. Over several visits, got the lotus seed soup and the fat choy soup and the pine nut soup, the mushroom in coconut water, the braised green banana in clay pot, summer rolls, square spring rolls, khai tam fungus, fried rice with macadamia (rather plain on its own but good as a side rice), mushroom with tofu served on girdle cake (good but maybe less popular in our group), and brown rice tea. Also got tofu in pineapple sauce, which we didn't like, just pain tofu in sauce. We also didn't like the sweet soup. The brown rice tea was also very good. I also offered a special, bánh chưng, which I thought was amazing but my companion thought was plain. All in all an absolutely excellent restaurant.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-10

Pros: Amazing decor, amazing food

Cons: Pricey for Hanoi

Fabulous - Edit

This restaurant is very well designed with great spaces. The menu is almost fully vegan and offers soups, salads, starters, tofu dishes, other entrees and even fresh juice blends.
Two of us had fresh mushroom spring rolls with classic Uu Dam sauce (insanely delicious), pineapple macadamia fried rice and mushroom stuffed tofu pieces in gorgeous tomato sauce. For dessert they told us they had a raspberry cake, it was served beautifully and tasted more like a bavarois. The only small down was the service, sometimes not as good as what you would expect in such a refined environment.

Pros: The price is very decent with regards to the excel

Great - Edit

Center Hanoi near Hoan Kiem lake (3mins walking). About 800.000VND for 2 people with full course (appetizers, main dishes, desserts and drinks). Great design, taste fresh. And you should make a reservation in advance if you go on 1st and 15th (lunar calendar) every month

Pros: Great design, Good food, Nice service

Fantastic upscale Vietnamese vege cuisine - Edit

This beautiful, multi-story restaurant has a very large menu of Vietnamese selections, and everything we tried was great. Delicious and beautifully prepared. It is a pricey place for Hanoi, maybe $15 for a large meal instead of onhy $2.00, but well worth it. Every serious vegetarian should try it out. The decor was also impressive and tasteful. Highly recommended.

Pros: delcious Vietnamese food and giant selection, beautiful, formal restaurant, excellent servive

most beautiful setting and presentation - Edit

Everything in this restaurant is stylish. From the menu, the beautifully presented and interesting dishes, the gorgeous drinks and the place itself. We ate on the rooftop with a hanging garden, a unique spot. What a find! Don't miss it while in Hanoi!

Uu Dam Chay - Edit

We ate here on Sunday 20th August for lunch. This is one of the the more upmarket vegan eateries. The menu was in Vietnamese and did have a picture of the dish, but I like to know what are the ingredients, my partner translated and ordered for me.We had brown rice with lotus seeds served in lotus leaves, this was very tasty. We shared three plates one bock choy with shitake, a plate of raw spring rolls and mixed vegetables with lotus and cashews, The dishes were served well decorated, a bit over flavoured, the mixed vegetables was too sweet, either sugar syrup or honey (waitress said not honey). My partner has a bamboo shaped glass with cinnamon tea. Bill came to 400,000d ($20), well worth visiting. The ambience was a bit austere, the muzak was a bit boring, repeated itself over and over.

Pros: dishes were very well presented, all fresh vegetables

Cons: musak was pagoda type music, atmosphere was austere

This place is great - Edit

This place is great. More expensive than other places recommended on Happy Cow, but I cannot recommend Uu Dam Chay too highly. This is a delightful restaurant with inventive and delicious vegan food.

It is a stylish place, attractively designed and decorated. We visited the restaurant on a Friday evening. It was quite busy, but it did not feel rushed. The atmosphere is quiet and refined. The waiters are helpful and efficient.

The food was also beautifully presented and was also some of the best, most inventive vegan food we’ve found in Hanoi.

We paid VND 480,000 for two people for four substantial dishes and two speciality teas.

Pros: Excellent vegan dishes, Imaginative vegan food, Beautiful place

Cons: A little more expensive than your typical Hanoi ve

the best in Hanoi - Edit

Beautiful place by all means. The food is delicious, the presentation so artistic, the service is amazing.
More expensive compared to other vegetarian restaurants that I ate at. But still affordable by Western standard.
Highly recommended

Highly recommended veg / vegan restaurant - Edit

Very nice vegetarian / vegan restaurant in Hanoi.

Had then macadamia pineapple fried rice and deep fried spring rolls, which were both outstanding. Ordered the vegan beer, which i didn't know was alcohol free, but this was fine.

Service was excellent and atmosphere / interior of the restaurant was very nice. The best vegetarian food I could find in Hanoi, which appears to be largely devoid of pure veg restaurants (at least those accessible or those that can be located by tourists). Menu was not in English, so ordering may take some guess work for tourists and others who do not speak vietnamese. Pictures of meals do help however.

Overall an excellent dining experience. Avoid hotel veg recommendations such as tamarind (which appears to no longer be a pure vegetarian restaurant as we were told) and come here instead. Prices are a little higher than average for Hanoi (approx 90,000 for fried rice and the same for the spring rolls). Reasonable for the quality and service however.

Pros: Quality and presentation of food, Service , Ambiance

Cons: No English menu

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Uu Dam Chay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.